The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 09-14-2017, 01:04 PM

I got a discounted demo 'Perform V' a while back. It is a pretty decent little effects unit, but is limited as to what can be stored as presets, although they can downloaded(beamed) readily with an app or via TCH's VoiceSupport software. What I don't particularly like is if you edit a preset that you like, that edit is stored in real time and the original preset is sort of lost.

"Saving Changes
Any changes you make to an effect are stored in
real time. There are no extra steps to take."

I couldn't find the manual for the Perform VG, so I don't know if this has been changed or even if the VG is capable of any user preset storage. I don't see mention of being able to beam presets to the VG on TCH's page.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkF_48 View Post
I couldn't find the manual for the Perform VG, so I don't know if this has been changed or even if the VG is capable of any user preset storage. I don't see mention of being able to beam presets to the VG on TCH's page.
The VG has no memory or preset storage
... So it's basically dial in on the fly.
Old 09-14-2017, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troggg View Post
Don't mean to rain on the parade but sounds incredibly piezo quacky to me. Could be just the way the guy has it set up, but still ...
Well....We'll see!
As usual, curiosity get the best of me.
Just ordered one along with the foot switch.
Got a sweet deal and it should be here tomorrow.

There isn't a lot out in way of videos or reviews on this product yet. So I am not really trusting the 1 or 2 videos for exact sound quality... I have owned other TC products for years. I have no doubt the sound quality on this new product will be great... (If not.. I have 30 days to return and only lose a few bucks on shipping).

I ordered the 6 button switch.. Since it was just $5 more than the 3 button. I am hoping to be able to assign not only a couple different vocal harmonies .. But also be able to turn on and off the guitar effects. Also, It is my understanding there is a guitar boost feature.. That I can assign to one of the buttons.. Plus if I have a button left.. Assign mute all.

Got a duo gig on Saturday at a local Wine Bar.
Will put it to the test!
Old 09-15-2017, 05:23 PM

The Perform VG arrived earlier today.
Just had 45 minutes to play with it.
Will get back to it after dinner...

So far, I am blown away at the sound of my vocals and ease of use. Right out of the box with minimal tweaking .. So smooth and rich.

Didn't mess with guitar settings or effects much yet..
Plus my strings are kinda dead.
So hope to have a little better idea of overall sound later this weekend.

Plus it is just plain simple to dial in....
But, I haven't had a ton of time to mess with it.
So I'm sure there's lots of time for me to screw my sound up!

Old 09-15-2017, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
I have no doubt the sound quality on this new product will be great...
No problem, that's what I'm here for.
Old 09-18-2017, 07:47 PM

The Perform VG is "gig ready"... Played this past Saturday night at a small wine bar with a friend.. Really tight space...So I didn't bring the foot switch or any pedals ... LOL...The wait staff probably would have stepped on them anyways .. passing by me

Anyway... The thing rocks ... Pretty much set it and forget it....I basically set it up and engaged the Reverb + Tone button for vocals and Body Rez + Reverb for Guitar... Hit the Chorus a few times. It was a very low key and low volume affair.

The -VG added some nice sparkle to my vocals and guitar. We both Played the gig through a mixer into a Powered speaker. So I came out of the -VG with 1 XLR cable into the mixer .. Very efficient and easy... Allowing me to take care of my sound from the unit (attached to my mic stand).

Compliments from the bartender and others... He commented on my J-45's tone. I know it helped my vocals cut through too. The VG is perfect for this sort of thing.

I will do a full review soon.. As well as comparison to my Boss VE-8. I actually think the vocals sound better on the Perform VG.. But the Boss beats this on Guitar sound quality, versatility and richer feature set. Never the less.. This thing may just have it's place in my arsenal.

Here a pict.. It's hard to see but the Perform VG is attached to the mic stand..Yep I'm set up next to the record player ! LOL

Last edited by JakeStone; 09-18-2017 at 07:52 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:39 AM

Hi Jake,
Thanks for sharing this. I have a Play Acoustic, but it has way more than I need. The main reason I like it is the vocal and the guitar are both put in different spaces so they stand out from each other. I am not a sound guy and I struggle to do this with a mixer. I still use a small mixer to eq everything before it goes to my powered speaker.

I like the simplicity of this thing. The one thing I always thought was missing from the Play Acoustic was the ability of seeing what effects are on and off. Especially the guitar. I use what I think a subtle effects so it's hard for me to tell if the chorus is on or off. I like the lights on top.

What pick up is in your guitar?
Old 09-19-2017, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Hi Jake,
Thanks for sharing this. I have a Play Acoustic, but it has way more than I need. The main reason I like it is the vocal and the guitar are both put in different spaces so they stand out from each other. I am not a sound guy and I struggle to do this with a mixer. I still use a small mixer to eq everything before it goes to my powered speaker.

I like the simplicity of this thing. The one thing I always thought was missing from the Play Acoustic was the ability of seeing what effects are on and off. Especially the guitar. I use what I think a subtle effects so it's hard for me to tell if the chorus is on or off. I like the lights on top.

What pick up is in your guitar?
Yes.. I had a Play Acoustic and loved the sound. Especially the vocals.. That's why I ordered this unit.

So yes this unit is simple and sounds good.. but does have some limitations. One being that the reverb is "shared" between the vocals and guitar. So you cannot adjust reverb separately. Secondly, there isn't a ton of control over effects.. Basic on/off and you can turn knob to add more or less of the effect.

Personally, I think the guitar effects are OK.. But not like I'm used to. I like more control. But in a low key gig.. they are just fine. I can play a whole show with it. No probs. Audience won't notice or care.

But, honestly this device has it's merits .. Again, plug, set, forget. Plus I really like the mic stand setup .. So I can adjust and mix vocal and guitar volume easy. This is "handy". Also the Switch 6 is awesome, set up not only Harmonies .. but effects on/off and there's a boost for guitar .. Only available from foot switch (so I am told).

My guitar pickup is a Highlander iP-2 pickup and preamp system.
http://highlanderpickups.com/catalog/ip2.htm
Old 09-19-2017, 03:18 PM

Jake, Did any kind of manual or quick start sheet come with the unit? I'm still not seeing anything on TCH's site as a manual for the VG. Probably pretty easy to figure most of it out, but the Perform V I have does have a few functions that aren't so intuitive.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:52 PM

Thumbs up The Sound On Your Video

Anything posted about T.C. Helicon I check out . This company has been growing exponentially a
long while ago and for good reasons to .

I have a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 hooked up and have a relatively cheap set of Koss headphones
on and I have my Mackie FreePlay here as a monitor to see/hear what it sounds like through
my computer .

Awesome man clean and clear , full bodied sounding recording . I read the negative comments
and can only say that my system can show a weakness / flaw fast in a video's audio period .

The bass frequency was decent , record a bass line next to it and you will see how good it sounds
together betcha .

I have piezos in two guitars - D46SCE Washburn & Godin LGXSA - I know about that ugly
quack sound , your recording was not punching that out to my ears .

On the issue of quacking piezo P.U.'s :

T.C.Helicons BodyRez is a bargain by itself @ $99.00 compared to what other brands sell
for acoustic guitar amplification .

The prices on the others systems is/are frankly over priced and I wouldn't spend $600.00
on one when a T.C. Helicon has a Voice Live 3 for the same $'s and has tons more of useful
FX in it for not only your electric guitar and acoustic but your voice as well . It's a total P.A.
for one person where these others are mere peripherals at a high price cost .

Not a diss or a put down either , these more expensive units deliver , but the cost efficiency
today makes them look outdated bang for buck .

I own a T.C.Helicon Voice Live 3 X , I'm really getting to like this unit loads . One big reason
I got it beside the functions it sports is the back up warranty , it has a 3 year warranty . I'm glad it does ,
because I lost the LED screen and two caps after 3 months , the warranty was handled at a light speed
velocity , from my town in so.Cal. to Las Vegas NV the travel time in shipping and repairs was one week !

EZ :

HR

Life has always been interesting to me

Old 09-19-2017, 04:59 PM

Exclamation ¡ T.C.H Equipment Tutorials !

Quote:
Jake, Did any kind of manual or quick start sheet come with the unit? I'm still not seeing anything on TCH's site as a manual for the VG. Probably pretty easy to figure most of it out, but the Perform V I have does have a few functions that aren't so intuitive.
Hello Jake :

At the T.C.H website you will find all kinds of individuals who are
excelling with their music vids there and on youtube .

I reviewed vids for almost a year of the T.C.H VL3 and then the VL3X
popped up I jumped on one when I bargained a price for a new one
in the box sealed for $550.00 .

EZ :

HR

Old 09-19-2017, 05:05 PM

Thumbs up ¿ HOW'd You Do it ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
The Perform VG arrived earlier today.

¡ What perplexes me is your candy bag was bigger than the one they sent me !

You got some pull there at that online supplier man heh heh heh

EZ and happy playing :

HR

Old 09-19-2017, 06:10 PM

Quote:
The box did not come with a manual or quick start.
I was a little ticked at first ...

But TCH came through swiftly with a PDF version.

They did mention that the manual was still in production and should be out soon.

Yes.. There are things I would have hard time figure out without help... But it is very easy (once you read through).
Old 09-19-2017, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ramon View Post

¡ What perplexes me is your candy bag was bigger than the one they sent me !

You got some pull there at that online supplier man heh heh heh

EZ and happy playing :

HR
LOL!!!
Old 09-22-2017, 09:53 AM

For anyone interested..
The manual is now available.

http://www.tc-helicon.com/en/support/manuals/?pid=24522

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification