The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-01-2015, 10:20 AM
Charter Member

Default Tenor Guitar Strumming

I've played at mandolin for years and mostly used chop chord strums as I played backup. Now, I've become caught up in another "5ths" instrument, the tenor guitar, and am wondering how best to play backup, to strum in accompanying songs. Any help? thanks
Old 10-01-2015, 12:34 PM

Most players use closed chords and a chop style, not unlike the way you back up bluegrass with a mandolin.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:58 PM

Start watching 60's folk singer groups on YTube. Tenor guitars were fairly common with them. The Kingston Trio... that sort of stuff.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:59 AM

Arktrav, there are no rules. "Best" will always be subjective, and will depend greatly upon context: Are you accompanying your own voice, solo, or playing with one, two, three, ten other musicians?

The best advice I can offer is to check out as many other players as you can, and here are a few:

Neko Case...

Carrie Rodriguez, strumming...

Carrie Rodriguez, finger picking...

Nick Gillentine...

John Lawlor, with a flat pick...

John Lawlor, with his thumb...

Ani DiFranco...

If you're playing solo, letting every chord ring will work just fine for some songs. For others, you'll likely find the accompaniment more authoritative with ringing strums on one and three and damped or muted strums on the backbeats. Eventually, you'll very possibly end up mixing a variety of strumming and picking patterns into each song, making each one unique.

Pictures of musical instruments are like sculptures of food.
Old 10-02-2015, 08:05 AM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone and especially SYRYNX, for you thoughtful and appreciated responses. I'm working on it, haven't gotten there yet, but I'm working on it!
Old 10-08-2015, 11:03 PM
Charter Member

Location: The California Central Coast, in The Heart of the Chaparral!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arktrav View Post
Thanks everyone and especially SYRYNX, for you thoughtful and appreciated responses. I'm working on it, haven't gotten there yet, but I'm working on it!
The best guy I ever saw on a tenor was "Jimmie" Dodd, from the original Mickey Mouse Club! Roy Disney wasn't bad himself, either!

It was a popular instrument in the 40s & 50s. Buddy Ebsen was a fair hand as well! He always carried a tenor guitar when he was Davy Crockett's side kick, George Russell...

The late Scat Man Crothers did a great version of Ghost Riders in the Sky using a tenor guitar, or baritone uke?

Don
Old 10-09-2015, 07:41 AM

I've tried to find it for years and have been unsuccessful. But 8 or so years ago I found a clip on youtube of a japanese dude playing surf on a tenor. Dude was really good.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments