The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBmusic View Post
If you're "saving up" for a Yamaha FG730s (it's a $300 guitar), then I would not even consider buying a different instrument at this time.
In another thread you mentioned having a string buzz because of rusty strings - you're still a starter/beginner at playing, concentrate more on your guitar playing at this point. there are so many nuances, techniques and *extra* things to know and learn about guitar playing that you would be spreading yourself thin - too thin - at this time. I'd suggest you find a local acoustic 'jam' in your area where you can play with other people and listen/watch what some of the more exprienced players do to help improve your own abilities.
I think what you're getting is GAS - gear acquisition syndrome, which is something most players get - the need for more more more stuff - it's hard to tame and can leave you with a bunch of stuff you never use.
First off, I'm “saving up" because I'm broke. Which isnt even the point. I could have $10,000 dollars in the bank and still put money aside and “save up" for something. I'm not exactly rolling in money. So yes, I do have to save up for things. I know its so unusual.

Second, I'm not a beginner. My strings were rusted because they were uncoated Martin strings that my buddy gave me. I usually use Elixir nano or polywebs. But I didn't have a chance (or the money) to go to the store to get new strings until last night.
The reason why I was confused about the buzzing is because before I discovered Elixir strings, I would rust strings in a week. Eventually it got pricey so I just kept playing them. And I've never had them buzz like that. It was a full blown rattling sound (that I've never heard before.) Only on one string. That's what confused me.

Third, I do go to an acoustic jam.. Open mic night.
I've already attended and played. That's all I need. I'm content with how I play. I made it a long ways from being completely self taught and using YouTube lessons.
I'm not to keen on my singing, but it's getting better with time and practice. And so far I've had some pretty good feedback and responses when I play out.
And if anything, I would think learning and playing a different instrument would help me advance. Maybe not so much with guitar exactly. But it helps my ear for music, it helps my music creativity and helps me learn and memorize keys.

Fourth, I do have GAS because I really think I could benefit from a second guitar. Almost everything I play is in standard or a whole step down. And since I'm starting to play out, I want a second guitar to keep in a different tuning. That's all.
I never wanted to own a million guitars. Just enough to keep in each tuning that I will be using at that time.
I also think I would benefit from another instrument since I don't play my ukulele. It has nothing to do with wanting new gear. It has to do with getting rid of gear that collects dust and spending the money wisely.
Old 08-11-2015, 12:56 PM

Another thought... The Mandolin Cafe has a very active classified section. You might put your uke on there under "Trades" and see if you get any offers. You would likely have to bring a little cash to a deal to make it right, but there is probably someone on MC that has a KM 140 or Breedlove Crossover who is looking for an entry level uke.
Old 08-11-2015, 02:55 PM

Location: From Upstate, SC...currently living/working in S. Florida

As a lifelong guitarist, I recently got the mando bug and bought a low-end Collings MF ($4000+)..... I should have just bought an Eastman, but jumped in head first.

I'm really enjoying learning a different instrument. My guitar playing has made fingering and picking natural, but have to approach it a little different.

Good luck on your decisions...
Old 08-11-2015, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

I have found that Elixers are very robust strings. I tune to different tunings and can not remember a string breaking when tuning back up.

I'd put all my saved cash toward a better guitar, and since you've been playing a while, I'd save up $500 and put a WTB add in the classifieds here. Should get you a used Eastman, Blueridge, Alvarez, or Yamaha. $500 buys a lot of used guitar. I would think you would be really inspired with that kind of upgrade.
2011 Santa Cruz D P/W
Pono OP 30 D parlor
Pono OP12-30
Pono MT uke
Goldtone Paul Beard squareneck resophonic
Fluke tenor ukulele
Boatload of home rolled telecasters

"Shut up and play ur guitar" Frank Zappa
Old 08-12-2015, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by posternutbag View Post
Another thought... The Mandolin Cafe has a very active classified section. You might put your uke on there under "Trades" and see if you get any offers. You would likely have to bring a little cash to a deal to make it right, but there is probably someone on MC that has a KM 140 or Breedlove Crossover who is looking for an entry level uke.
This was my thought, too. The MC crowd is a good one, and there is often someone who is trading up and looking to sell a less expensive instrument. You might also keep an eye on used mandolins in local stores. I found a used, solid top Aria A-style mando in the early 90s for $150 that was quite good, and later found a used Flatiron 1N for $300, which I still have.

Last edited by cpmusic; 08-12-2015 at 11:42 AM. Reason: fixing a typo
Old 08-12-2015, 05:03 AM

I agree with a lot of what was said above.

Mandolins are cool little instruments, but aren't versatile solo instruments. They have a unique sound though and are fun to play. They are great instruments in the right genre/setting.

They are MUCH more expensive than guitars for similar quality. A half-decent one has to be hand carved, and because of the size, there is little room for error in fit and measurements so they have to be made more precise.

They have little in common with guitars. They have much more in common with violins. The size, the way you hold the neck, and the tuning can frustrate guitar players who try to play them as "little guitars" instead of sideways violins. Things don't translate over like on a uke. But the basic right hand and fretting skills are the same.

I agree that for a low price range look to the A-body style Kentuckys and Eastmans. Most others in the few hundred dollar range are firewood. Mandolin Cafe Classifieds and The Mandolin Store are the places to go.

All that being said, mandolins are fun little instruments. Give one and whirl and have at it! They compliment the sound of a guitar well.
Martin Tweedy 00-DB
Gibson F5G Custom
Kentucky KM-1000B
Old 08-12-2015, 06:38 AM

Thanks for all the help everyone.
I think a mandolin is probably out of the question right now.
As far as my ukulele, I got it appraised at guitar center. They're only going to give me $30 for it. And if I trade it I for a guitar or anything else for $300 its a 10% discount. So that's another $30.
Which is a rip off. If they would give me $60 plus the 10% I'd probably go for it.

But $30 for a $160 ukulele and a $30 gig bag. I think I'll pass. But I don't know, maybe I'll take the offer later on down the road.. We'll see.
Old 08-12-2015, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASmusic View Post
Thanks for all the help everyone.
I think a mandolin is probably out of the question right now.
As far as my ukulele, I got it appraised at guitar center. They're only going to give me $30 for it. And if I trade it I for a guitar or anything else for $300 its a 10% discount. So that's another $30.
Which is a rip off. If they would give me $60 plus the 10% I'd probably go for it.

But $30 for a $160 ukulele and a $30 gig bag. I think I'll pass. But I don't know, maybe I'll take the offer later on down the road.. We'll see.
That deal is lousy, but that's the nature of big box stores.

If you're certain you don't want the uke, consider selling it at the Ukulele Underground Forum, or here at the AGF. You could also find out if there's a ukulele group in your area (www.meetup.com is a good starting point) and ask there if anyone is interested.

OTOH, if the uke isn't taking up a lot of space, hold onto it and go with the flow. When I bought my first uke (a basic Kala soprano) I spent some idle time strumming on familiar chord shapes and had the feeling it just wasn't my instrument. But after a while I started exploring more, not in any highfalutin way but beyond idle strumming, sometimes following a video on the web and other times catching hold of something that came along on the collective unconscious jet stream, and I found a groove. I've got a few inexpensive ukes that I leave out here and there around the house where I can pick them up quickly. I'm not great, by any measure, but I have fun, and sometimes find new life in a song I thought I had worn out on guitar.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you!
Old 08-12-2015, 01:34 PM

I probably will hold on to it. But I can't say for sure.
I enjoy playing it. And it's nice having another string instrument for when I don't feel like playing guitar. But its more frustrating finding lessons and songs than it is learning them.

I already learned Time In A Bottle by Jim Croce, the intro/melody line to Hotel California by Eagles and parts of Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin. And that's it. And it took me longer to find those tabs/chords than it did for me to actually learn the songs.

I've searched Google and YouTube for lessons (not songs just lessons). And it's all the same basic stuff every website or video teaches.
“okay everyone, heres today's lesson. Here's a c chord. Now strum 1 2 3 4. Great, now we're done."
Its like come on already. I was past that point before I even brought my uke home from the store. I understand there's beginners out there. But dang, every lesson is the same. It's like one big circle.

Then I said screw it. I'll just find certain songs that I want to play (like the ones I mentioned above.) So i searched for chords/tabs, and its like they don't even exist. It's impossible to find the chords or tabs.
So I searched for suggested songs to play and its all today's top 40 pop and hip hop songs. Which definitely isn't for me... Plus its the same basic chords and the same basic strumming pattern.
A monkey could do it.
I'm not trying to shred like Slash, but these lessons and songs are boring.

I've had struggles when learning guitar and I pushed through. And a big thanks goes to the great lessons and videos out there. But uke just isn't the same.
I love playing it, but searching for what to play has ruined it.
Old 08-12-2015, 02:59 PM

Having read through this thread extensively, I think you would find the mandolin similarly frustrating. "What to play?" is an ongoing problem that I still struggle with, and I have been playing mandolin since 2004.

Like I said before, it has limited (at best) use as a solo instrument. Pretty much the only songs I play solo are Copperhead Road and Uncle John's Band. The problem is that it sounds very shrill when strummed. If I am asked to play something by random, nonmusical strangers, I either fire off a couple of fiddle tunes or play a classical piece like "Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring." On guitar, I can play and sing any number of songs that sound good solo and are instantly recognizable.

In bluegrass settings there is a slotted role, so in bluegrass jams and when I played in a bluegrass band I knew exactly what my role was, snare drum and soloist.

But now I am in a duo that plays mostly Grateful Dead and Jimmy Buffett songs, and every new song we learn involves sitting down and thinking, "What can I contribute to this song?" Sometimes the answer is playing a wash of background notes like a banjo or a fingerstyle guitar. I do this on Friend of the Devil. Other times, it is just tremelo through an entire tune, and sometimes it is a combination, but the answer is almost never to just strum open chords like guitarists get to.

This is why the mandolin is a challenging instrument. It lacks the full polyphony of a piano or a guitar, and it lacks the beautiful sonority of a violin or cello.

It is weird little instrument, but to me mastery of the instrument, to take it to a level where I can play anything in any genre on such a limited instrument, is part of the enjoyment.

The other part is purely practical... I am a better mandolinist than I am a guitarist, and so I mostly get asked to play mandolin, which reinforces my need to improve my mandolin skills.

It sounds like you are looking for a second instrument to compliment your guitar. Despite the superficial similarities, mandolin and guitar are very different instruments. I find I can tell immediately when I hear someone who is a guitarist who just dabbles in mandolin. I call it "Peter Buck Syndrome."
Old 08-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Dan - Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASmusic View Post
I love playing it, but searching for what to play has ruined it.
Have you looked at the intermediate and advanced lessons here?
http://ukuleleunderground.com/video-library/
I don't have specific experience with them, but they look better than the typical YouTube stuff.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:48 PM

Yeah I know what you mean.
Which is one (of many) reasons why I originally went with a ukulele instead of a mandolin.
It was cheaper, easier to play and I was told makes a way better solo instrument. And while I don't really play much on my uke, I can agree. I don't think there would be much use for me having a mandolin.
Old 08-12-2015, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhalbert View Post
Have you looked at the intermediate and advanced lessons here?
http://ukuleleunderground.com/video-library/
I don't have specific experience with them, but they look better than the typical YouTube stuff.
No I haven't. Thanks for posting! I'll give that a try.
Old 08-12-2015, 04:12 PM

Definitely take a look at MandolinCafé.Com
they have a lot of Mandolin Resources, dealers and a good classified section.
Trades are usually available. I recently traded an$800 Mandolin for a great acoustic guitar of similar value. No way either one of us could have done that well selling it. By the way I have a Kentucky KM272. The Kentucky sound is definitely a plus for the price range. I play both guitar and mandolin--not great but fair. Fully enjoy them both.
Old 08-14-2015, 09:28 AM

I also feel that since you won't get much in trade I would just hold on to it. Since you are in a searching mode you never know, you might get inspired down the road to play uke again. Maybe run into folks who also play and help get the ball rolling. Or the suggestion to sell it on Ukulele Underground is also probably good advice, though I've never sold one there.
Closed Thread

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments