The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-30-2009, 07:08 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Default Musical, uplifting, long, BIG

This morning I was running a little late. As I rushed out to the car, I realized that it was completely coated in frost. Mmmm... That'll add some time. You see, my car has very soft glass that is easily scratched by scraping. Of course, it counter balances this negative by having easily the fastest defroster system I have ever seen and by having heated seats. So, I got in, started the car, turned on the seat heater, and settled into my little white cocoon. As soon as the car fired up, I was reminded that I'd left a CD of Arcangelo Corelli's Concerti Grossi in the drive as the dulcet sounds of one of his Concert (I know not which) flooded the little cabin of the car. Magnificent. Wonderful, reasoned, optimistic Baroque music.

You know how architecture is often created with an eye towards the scale of man and how he will feel within the building? It's true: Go to Thomas Jefferson's Monticello. While it is a large home, you never feel small. The rooms are created with the Humanistic/Enlightenment ideal that man is important and large in the scheme of things. Somehow, the scale of the building, its features, and its rooms makes you feel large. Similarly, while the Empire State Building is very tall, both its lobby and that of the Chrysler Building make an individual feel large and powerful somehow. The opposite is true of the CitiCorp headquarters building's atrium, for example.

In a similar vein, have you ever seen the movie, Family Man, starring Nicholas Cage and Tia Leoni? In the movie, a fantastically successful, playboy Wall Street money manager named Jack is given a taste of what his life could have been like had he opted for a more simple route. jack is whisked away to an alternate reality of being married to his college sweetheart and having kids, a mortgage, a rotten salary, and all the trials of a workaday life. In the middle of this epiphany, Jack gets homesick for the high life. While the fam are in the mall, he visits a highbrow tailor and tries on a $2000 suit. In walks his wife and kids, catching him in the act. Jack comments, "This suit makes me feel like a better man. I am going to buy it." A little shallow, but you get the point.

Whatever. Sitting blissfully in my little white cocoon waiting for the seat to warm and the windows to defrost, and then making my short commute to work with Corelli's Concerti wafting over me somehow made me feel like a bigger, better man. I wish more music would do that.

Happy Friday.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 01-30-2009, 07:24 AM

Bob

You're in a Mini!!! It's kinda like an Alice in Wonderland experience. I got the same feeling when I (at 6' 4") borrowed my sister's Austin Sprite and drove around all day cranking Musorgsky's "Great Gates of Kiev".

1852 Dutch Barn
1895 Farmhouse
1964 Long Island Blonde
2002 Yellow Lab

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell