The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-15-2009, 06:09 PM

rmyAddison/Rich ... I can't thank you enough for your advice and insight - absolutely inspiring. I was laid off on January 2 - was informed back in November, so I've had some time to think. I'm in my mid-50's and I've played in bands up till the early 90's and have played at church for the past 20+ years. With the dismal job market in Ohio, I've kicked around the idea of playing solo acoustic for something to do as well as make a few bucks. I have a song list of about 40 or so acoustic songs and also many originals.

I was worried about the age thing and song types. I'm gonna give it a shot... what's the worst that can happen?

Thanks again, Rich
Old 01-15-2009, 07:00 PM

HHP kind of cracked me up too with that walkers comment (still smiling) but I do want to suggest that you consider the intial alternative of playing old folks homes--seriously. I'm going through the process of getting some of my original songs recorded and will be looking for places to play them publically soon and I have retirement homes on the top of my list. They are good-low stress venues to start with.

I played some covers with freinds a couple years ago at a few retirement homes and learned a few things: they are happy to have entertainment for their residents and welcome musicians coming to play (maybe not loud metal band, but most acoustic acts would be welcome, I think); the people were very nice and attentive (although a few fell asleep); the PA facilities were generally very good and some venues were excellant which gave me practice using different sytems, stage dynamics, etc; they didn't really care we screwed up a song as they were happy to just to see some entertainment. Finally we played a few old standards like "This land is your land," etc. and everyone ended up singing at the end--it felt great.

Just a thought. Plus there are probably some nearby where you live.

Best of luck,
Jeff
Old 01-15-2009, 07:32 PM

I've heard of the old folks home circuit before. Is that ever a paying gig or just a good experience in front of a crowd?
Old 01-15-2009, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulano View Post
I've heard of the old folks home circuit before. Is that ever a paying gig or just a good experience in front of a crowd?
I do it for free as part of our church outreach.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0kQiA3Njt4

Most people I have met that do it, do it for free, for fun, and to do something nice and get some experience along the way. There may be some opportunity for paying gigs though. I've not run across any. Of course I'm not good enough to be paid for it! Check out the blinding speed flatpicking at 1:20 though.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:51 PM

I agree w/ Joe, I've never been paid, nor have I ever expected to be paid. It was mostly good practice for me and some live music for the residents. I like to think it was a win-win.

Humorously, a couple of sessions had cookies to the residents during the show, so I guess I could say that I've been offered cookies, but that's about it.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:15 PM

Default Thanks for the Encouragement Everyone !

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
The guy that I play with and I are both in our 50's and we often open performances by requesting that admirers not throw their Depends on stage.
The "walkers" comment and this one got me howling, too. Funny coincidence about those and the posts about playing for "old folks" (you guys who do that are saints) - I've been thinking of that recently as I just came back from seeing mom mom in the ICU and my dad at his home with Alzheimers. I wished I'd have taken my guitar with me to play for both of them and maybe will next time. In the music room of the home they had an old parlor guitar with really bad action but sounded OK. I'm even thinking of donating one of my older guitars to them - there's a good charity idea ...

And last year before he entered the home my dad once regaled me for an hour describing his Depends and asking me if I needed some! Guess I'd better be prepared to duck if I play there now.

Reading all the great replies here, knowing now I'm not alone in this, I visited my local store, Tobias Music, to drop of the Guild to have a B-Band system installed, and while I was there I asked them about playing venues in the area. I learned there were two pubs in Downers Grove by me that have open mikes every week. I got the info and will start by watching how it's run and maybe talking to some of the performers. First have to get the guitar back of course!

While it's out I guess I should get together some 3-song sets to work on. I'm starting to get excited about this. My mom always told me that when you look back it's not the things you did you regret, but rather those you didn't do.

I'll let you all know how this progresses - and maybe come back for some more backbone stiffening - a swift kick.

Thanks, all. Guitarists have to be about the nicest folks around.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 01-16-2009, 01:07 AM

I am 58. Played all my life since I was 15 but never in front of strangers until I moved to this rural area 5 years ago. Promised myself that I would take the plunge and do live gigs once we settled in. Found a few local jams. Volunteered for arts and crafts indoors events, playing on the sidewalk for our Cherry Days big deal in July and so on. Got some fine paying gigs a year later but I enjoy playing for free (or food!) anyways.

First couple times I was very nervous. I do only solo fingerpicking arrangements/complilations ... Beatles, S & G, 60-70's, some New Age/ Windham Hill type tunes, western medleys. Suprised by how many folks enjoyed that stuff but then again, the 60's and 70's produced an amazing array of great pop/folk/rock tunes that most of us old timers have a fondness for anyway.

Playing guitar is one of the few decent vices around. Makes one feel really alive to jam/play live or trades licks and tunes with others.

Look for jams ... a so-so one is always good ... a good one is always grand! Ask for feedback if you wish. Then go from there. Glad I took the plunge ... finally.

Oh yeah ... note all the songs that you know into your computer. Print it off before an event so you can recall them when with others. Usually my mind goes blank but now the list instantly reminds me of various tunes I can play during those otherwise blank moments when someone says "Well, whadya know?"

Have fun and just do it!
Old 01-16-2009, 06:09 AM

Paul, I think you're great...guitar playing is flawless, and you have a warm and welcoming voice - not to mention you sing perfectly on key. Great stuff, get out there!!

"I've tasted and obtained wealth, fame and power and can testify that they do not compare to the satisfaction that I have tasted from one drop of water from the cup of Christ which has quenched my thirst."

- Malcom Muggeridge
Old 01-16-2009, 06:26 AM

Humor is great, and it also takes up time. I try to be a storyteller but a lot of my songs are not happy love songs so I bill myself as a songwriter/comedian and tell jokes betweeen songs.

I open every night with "Folks this is a really nice Martin guitar, if you don't like what I'm doing.......aim for my head!"

That usually gets a pretty good chuckle and we're off...............

Lots of good stories from old farts here. Remember, start slow....then taper off!!!

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 01-20-2009, 11:18 PM

Good to hear you're back at it. You can play retirement villages, rescue mission, Starbucks, Bookstores, local restaurants ....

Many local establishments would love to have you play for tips or minimal payment. I used to try out new material in city parks. I just sat on my guitar case and played away. If people come around and listen - that's good.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:34 AM

Default Playing the Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
Good to hear you're back at it. You can play retirement villages, rescue mission, Starbucks, Bookstores, local restaurants ....

Many local establishments would love to have you play for tips or minimal payment. I used to try out new material in city parks. I just sat on my guitar case and played away. If people come around and listen - that's good.
Thanks for the ideas. Funny, but I'd recently thought of parks as during lunch at work I often go to the local park to relax. Of course I need to wait for this frigid Chicago weather to pass ...

I hadn't thought about the bookstores, or even the retirement places but will look into it. Tonight I'm going to one of the local open mic places to check out what type of music is played and how they operate. I visited the site of another last night and got discouraged when I saw a posted video of a player who had some pretty wild stuff - dont know if that's representative, though. Just need to get my feet wet I guess.

Thanks again for the tips.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

Old 01-21-2009, 08:50 AM
Charter Member

What pubs in DG, Ipa?

I listened to one of your clips and it's very soulful and enjoyable. Get out there an do it ! ! !

Open mics are a hit-n-miss affair. But still a fine place to get out and do it. The Lake County Folk Club does a nice open mic on the First Sunday (I think) up in Mundelein. Bill's Blues in Evanston does a nice one every Sunday afternoon 4:00 - 6:30.

Two Way Street Coffee house ( in a church in Downers Grove) does open mic once a quarter on a Friday night. They also have a lot of nice concerts. It's an established venue (having been in operation for 35 years I think), so a lot of accomplished people show up. But there are less experienced people too. And it's a supportive crowd.

Somebody posted a link to Open Mic Chicago. Check that out. But always call before trekking across town. Many times, they get cancelled (if somebody is sick or out of town or something) or the times vary.

It's not a big time draw anywhere. It can be intimidating when you don't know anyone. But you'll get over that. Most these places are populated by us older folks. And the atmospheres are usually very encouraging.

Uncommon Ground in Chicago (2 locations) do weekly open mics at both locations. That's usually a younger crowd and there's a competition thing going on, so that wouldn't be the first place I'd recommend.

I hear Mast House out in Woodstock has a very nice Open Mic once a month. But you're supposed to call in advance to get on the list. I have never been there, but am going to try to make it in February, I think.

Last edited by Marshall; 01-21-2009 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmyAddison View Post
Humor is great, and it also takes up time. I try to be a storyteller but a lot of my songs are not happy love songs so I bill myself as a songwriter/comedian and tell jokes betweeen songs.

I open every night with "Folks this is a really nice Martin guitar, if you don't like what I'm doing.......aim for my head!"

That usually gets a pretty good chuckle and we're off...............

Lots of good stories from old farts here. Remember, start slow....then taper off!!!

Verrrry funny .......I always say I do music and comedy, the "music" is when I play my guitar and sing....the "comedy" is when I sing and play my guitar

http://www.myspace.com/magicblueguitar
Old 01-22-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
What pubs in DG, Ipa?

I listened to one of your clips and it's very soulful and enjoyable. Get out there an do it ! ! !
Thanks for the compliment. The two Open Mics that are near me in the western suburbs are Ballydoyle's Pub and Stillwater, both in Downers Grove. I visited Ballydoyle's OM last night and the stuff done was pretty loud (more electric than acustic, too) and of varying quality but everyone was having fun. It's nice since they take care of all the technical stuff.

For awhile I was worried that I'd have to stand and play, which I don't really like to do, but several players finally pulled some stools up to sit on. Near the end there were several solo acoustic acts, but that's when the crowd was a bit smaller and quieter. I don't think there was a single fingerstylist there - mostly strummers. So I'd definitely stand out. At least my wife is sure I can do it.

I'll look into these other suggestions, too, so thanks again. Then next week, who knows?
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

Old 01-24-2009, 10:03 AM

It's really nice to see so many folks in the same situation. For some of us serious amateurs or former aspiring pros who used to play more frequently, but who raised kids, pursued non-music careers, etc, that bug to play out surfaces in mid life. I have it too, although I have always kept my hand in by continuing to write, being involved in a local songwriters circle for several years and playing an occasional open mic or opening for a friend's gig. But it's been very sparse. Now that my youngest just turned 13 and we moved just south of Austin, Texas from the NYC rural suburbs, I'm finding there are so many more opportunities to play around here. No one seems to care if you are in your 40s or older, people out here just love to hear live music. I've found a couple songwriter's nights and open mics that I am going to venture out to, with the goal being a paying gig for me in 2009, even if it's just opening for someone in a tiny bar or coffeehouse.

One thing I would suggest, if you feel your songs are too "old" - listen to some current people for inspiration and a couple newer covers. There are plenty of folks in our 40+ age bracket who are putting out incredible songs. Here's just a few (and yes, mine are mostly from Texas, but Texas is just music-rich these days): Patty Griffin, Eliza Gilkyson, Ray Wylie Hubbard, James McMurtry, Robert Earl Keen, Sam Baker, Slaid Cleaves, Steve Earle, Shawn Mullins, Chris Knight, John Hiatt, Bruce Robison. Youngsters like Mindy Smith, Brandy Carlisle, Ryan Adams & Teddy Thompson will also provide great material and inspiration. Think back to when you learned to play a great James Taylor tune. Wasn't it inspiring and fun? Didn't it make you want to learn more? Keep listening to and learning newer songs that will do the same, and you will find you will not feel like an oldster at all.
Enjoy!

http://claudiagibson.com
Martin 2014 000-18 Mahogany/Sitka
Taylor 1992 412 GC Mahogany/Sitka
1982 Fender Strat '57 Vintage Reissue
2017 Epiphone ES-339 Cherry Red

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell