Old 09-23-2017, 12:04 PM

Default War Bird Fans.

A Spitfire and Corsair based at our airport

2008 J45 True Vintage Classic
2008 Martin 0018H Geoff Muldaur
2012 Gibson Advanced Jumbo. Added Trance Amulet p/u
Old 09-23-2017, 12:19 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Lovely! Is that a MKII Spit? I notice it only has one glycol radiator under the starboard wing and an oil radiator under the port wing.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 09-23-2017, 12:39 PM

Bob

I'm not an expert on Spits. I've been told it's very early. Was there a Mark 1?

This is the one that was found buried on the beach in France a few years ago and sold on the Christie Auction. It recently came from the U.K. Complete with a contingent of Brit engineers who assembled and test flew it.

They were on their way to a photo shoot for the cover of a Warbird magazine. Warbird Journal?
EDIT EDIT EDIT
it was found on the beach in 1980
http://www.christies.com/spitfire/in...ive/index.html
Rich

Last edited by Richgj3; 09-23-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-23-2017, 12:59 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richgj3 View Post
Bob

I'm not an expert on Spits. I've been told it's very early. Was there a Mark 1?
This is the one that was found buried on the beach in France a few years ago and sold on the Christie Auction. It recently came from the U.K. Complete with a contingent of Brit engineers who assembled and test flew it.
They were on their way to a photo shoot for the cover of a Warbird magazine. Warbird Journal?
Rich
If that is Spitfire P9734 flown by Flying Officer Peter Cazenove and crashed at Dunkirk (and it sounds like it is) it is indeed a MKI and the oldest flying Spit extant. That is a very historic plane.

Incidentally, my uncle flew MK.I Spits. One of the Spitfires that was at his station is now on display at RAF Cosford in England. It is the oldest Spit exatant but is non-flying.

There's a MKIX Spit based right down the road at the MILITARY AVIATION MUSEUM. They've got a collection of about twenty various WWII fighter aircraft as well as other types. They've also go a Corsair as well. Nearly all their planes are both museum quality and flyable.

Bob

Old 09-23-2017, 01:20 PM

It is the one. Extensive restoration so it's like George Washington's original ax. The head has been changed twice and the handle three times. :-).

Both airplanes are owned by a wealthy New Yorker who does not fly. He wishes to remain anonymous. And it's not me. :-)

Rich
Old 09-23-2017, 01:57 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richgj3 View Post
It is the one. Extensive restoration so it's like George Washington's original ax. The head has been changed twice and the handle three times. :-).

Both airplanes are owned by a wealthy New Yorker who does not fly. He wishes to remain anonymous. And it's not me. :-)

Rich
Yep, to restore to flying condition so it can be FAA certified you've got to replace every bit of corroded metal and this one had be looted as well.

I think I prefer your type of wealthy plane owner. These more powerful planes aren't for amateurs.

Bob

Old 09-23-2017, 02:06 PM

Now all you need is a Buchon!
Yamaha FG 410A
Cordoba Acero D9ce
Old 09-23-2017, 02:34 PM
Charter Member

Yup, I'm, a !war-birds" fan. My affection and fascination is primarily for WW1 machines, but, I think it is impossible to convey the feelings that WW2 fighters give to Englishmen who grew up in wartime or post war Britain. They symbolise the determination and personal sacrifices that our parent's generation made during the Battle of Britain and later when we fought, with our allies - to liberate Europe.

I do think that the Spitfire is always the "star" and the Hurricane is always unfairly in the shadows - the Hurricane was more often the plane that shot down the bombers whilst the "spit" lads were sparring with the FW190s and ME109s etc.

I am privileged to live close to one of the most important WW2 fighter airfields (RAF Westhampnett), and from May to October every week - we hear those Merlin engines over our house ..... and next year, I intend to fly in one of the two seaters!
Old 09-23-2017, 03:47 PM

Great pictures.
I can remember making large scale Revell kits of these exact 2 planes.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-23-2017, 04:09 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Yup, I'm, a !war-birds" fan. My affection and fascination is primarily for WW1 machines,
Oh, my, Silly, if you come to the U.S. you must visit Virginia Beach because that museum mentioned above has a collection of over twenty WWI reconstructions. They've got three Fokker Dreideckers including one with a rotary engine. They've got a Halberstadt CL IV, Nieuport XI and 17, Avro 504K, Sopwith 1 1/2 strutter, Abatross D.Va, Fokker .VI, D.VII and D.VIII, and more, all flying.
Quote:
I am privileged to live close to one of the most important WW2 fighter airfields (RAF Westhampnett), and from May to October every week - we hear those Merlin engines over our house ..... and next year, I intend to fly in one of the two seaters!
Lucky dog! They have both a Spit IX and Hurricane and a BF109G reconstruction by Meyer Motors in Germany that is Buchon from the firewall back and 109 from the firewall forward.

They've also got two flying FW190 reconstructions and a non-flying real FW190 they are restoring.

Bob

Last edited by Bob Womack; 09-24-2017 at 05:46 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-23-2017, 05:30 PM

That's great Bob. I'll have to put that on my visit list.

Silly, I'm also a WWI aviation nut. In my younger years I read everything I could on the subject. I spent a lot of time at the Old Rheinbeck Areodrome in upstate NY. I used to own a 1940 Fleet 16B and landed it at Old Rheinbeck a few times.

Keep 'em Flyin'

Rich
Old 09-23-2017, 09:02 PM

My uncle, now gone, had a great deal to do with designing the landing gear on the Corsair. Later went on to be an aerospace engineer, an honest to goodness "rocket scientist" I had many discussions with him about space flight. He admired the Russian engineers in their space program. Give credit where it is due, their rockets were simple and more powerful that ours he said...and I believe him.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHS View Post
My uncle, now gone, had a great deal to do with designing the landing gear on the Corsair. Later went on to be an aerospace engineer, an honest to goodness "rocket scientist" I had many discussions with him about space flight. He admired the Russian engineers in their space program. Give credit where it is due, their rockets were simple and more powerful that ours he said...and I believe him.
.. sure but the kerosene heater in the cabin was a bit 'iffy'.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 09-24-2017, 06:19 AM
Guest4562

For Bob Womack: Do you have happen to pass the Hampton Roads Executive Airport on 58? I no longer live in the area, but for years there was a WWII era plane just sitting there, not sure which one. But I went by there just recently and it appeared that there was a B-29 sitting there. Have you seen it?
Old 09-24-2017, 06:22 AM
Charter Member

Great pics... I'm enjoying them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic