The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 09-22-2017, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imwjl View Post
The strategy with OS upgrades is most always fix problems, fix or improve security, enable new hardware features and enable new capabilities in application programs.
Yes, enabling these new capabilities, designed for new phones with speedy processors, slows down older phones with slower processes. After several updates, the slowdown becomes excruciating.

The secret to life is enjoying the passage of time.
Old 09-22-2017, 09:36 AM

Let me add that with my old iPad 2 I purposely avoided upgrades, but iTunes would not allow me to do anything to the iPad (like add music) unless I upgraded.

Planned obsolescence.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by valleyguy View Post
Let me add that with my old iPad 2 I purposely avoided upgrades, but iTunes would not allow me to do anything to the iPad (like add music) unless I upgraded.

Planned obsolescence.
My iPad 2 also became slower with each successive upgrade in later years...until the release of 10.0 which wasn't applicable to it and I was left behind on IOS 9xx. It finally became pretty useless. I get it though. Eventually an older device simply can't support ongoing software/functionality developments and one can expect an eventual end of life. I do think I got my money's worth.

I do however have a Blackberry 6720 around here somewhere that I'll sell ya!
Old 09-22-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe F View Post
My iPad 2 also became slower with each successive upgrade in later years...until the release of 10.0 which wasn't applicable to it and I was left behind on IOS 9xx. It finally became pretty useless. I get it though. Eventually an older device simply can't support ongoing software/functionality developments and one can expect an eventual end of life. I do think I got my money's worth.

I do however have a Blackberry 6720 around here somewhere that I'll sell ya!
I use my iPad 2 for Onsong at gigs. No big loss if it gets damaged and it works fine on the older software for that purpose. Does what I want.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
I use my iPad 2 for Onsong at gigs. No big loss if it gets damaged and it works fine on the older software for that purpose. Does what I want.
Much how technology and vehicles are handled in the enterprise. The old Astro vans are obsolete much like the old iPads and phones. Some still get some use. Those old vans would be very slow if they had to carry and do the same the late model Sprinter vans do.

Most of the whining over it -having to drive an old Astro or Econoline vs Sprinter - is different than the topic here.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
"On Song" sent out a warning to subscribers NOT to upgrade until they are sure they have all potential compatibility issues resolved.
Just an FYI for all current subscribers.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 09-24-2017, 07:32 AM

Adoption appears to be fast among our BYOD users and personal associates.

I'm pleased that Microsoft's Word Flow keyboard still works but it's officially gone from App Store after their buying the publisher of SwiftKey. I've not yet pursued learning if the "SwiftKey Flow" now advertised incorporates what I like in Word Flow.

I'm taking most complaints about app compatibility as nonsense but it can be frustrating. Developers have plenty of time and tools to have their apps ready. It's always clear some are on task and on fixing problems and others not.

At first I didn't like some areas where text is larger. I might have a re-think. I ditch the bifocals and use distance only correction for sports. Yesterday I realized I can read some things better while I'm in doing sports mode.

On the whole I'm mostly pleased or excited about the Watch OS upgrade and one app I treasure working much better.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
My iPad2 also works fine for that, however, I have avoided updating the app.

Without the latest update, liming to other's Onsong app is iffy, but I've always had issues with doing that, even with two iPads with the latest version.

Old 09-27-2017, 06:11 AM

The 11.01 update out now is advised and especially for those who've had mail send problems.

I suggest making sure all apps are up to date. I've had users update the OS and not bunches of apps that had version updates specifically for the new OS version.

On the whole I'm not seeing problems. We (at work) have dozens of company owned devices and hundreds of BYOD. On Friday we'll start upgraded iPads at outlying locations.

On ease or quality, my mother still remembers 1930s technology advances so I think it says something that she updated her old phone, iPad, computer and yesterday did her iPhone 8 Plus setup and data transfer on her own. I give her a lot of credit because I face young people more resistant to change and pushing themselves to learn something new.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The 11.01 update out now is advised and especially for those who've had mail send problems.

I suggest making sure all apps are up to date. I've had users update the OS and not bunches of apps that had version updates specifically for the new OS version.

On the whole I'm not seeing problems. We (at work) have dozens of company owned devices and hundreds of BYOD. On Friday we'll start upgraded iPads at outlying locations.

On ease or quality, my mother still remembers 1930s technology advances so I think it says something that she updated her old phone, iPad, computer and yesterday did her iPhone 8 Plus setup and data transfer on her own. I give her a lot of credit because I face young people more resistant to change and pushing themselves to learn something new.
No problems here either. A minor glitch in my wife’s iPhone gmail being sent to search when not requested. This has been the only buggy behavior so far. Maybe the update will fix that.
Old 09-27-2017, 08:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm pleased that Microsoft's Word Flow keyboard still works but it's officially gone from App Store after their buying the publisher of SwiftKey. I've not yet pursued learning if the "SwiftKey Flow" now advertised incorporates what I like in Word Flow.
I've used SwiftKey for years and love it! It keeps getting smarter and smarter. I think it's an excellent keyboard. Hope you find it enjoyable.
Old 09-27-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerbie View Post
I've used SwiftKey for years and love it! It keeps getting smarter and smarter. I think it's an excellent keyboard. Hope you find it enjoyable.
Thank you.

It is more like the gone and almost forgotten Word Flow. It's crazy that it's had a hiccup or two I haven't had with the obsolete app. It references Microsoft's standard privacy agreement that I like more than Google's.

I might re-initialize Swype that I bought and used before Word Flow. I recall it had a numeric keyboard feature that was nice. Excel has that in the app so it became less important.

Whether or not 11.01 is better on battery is hard to tell because I spent much of my morning with speaker on or a conf call that always run the battery down faster.
Old 09-27-2017, 05:20 PM

imjwi said:
>>On ease or quality, my mother still remembers 1930s technology advances so I think it says something that she updated her old phone, iPad, computer and yesterday did her iPhone 8 Plus setup and data transfer on her own.<<

I wanna hang out with your mom.

Meanwhile, I think I will update my iOS devices to 11.0.1 overnight--the update's raison d'etre explains why I had to repeatedly delete and re-add Gmail and Google. Bob still hasn't figured out how to do e-mail on his phone (he still uses AOL Webmail on his laptop or on the desktops in the hospital doctors' lounge), so I'm not gonna update his iPhone 8. He keeps talking about wanting to attend a free class or two at the Apple Store, but the only one around here with classrooms has no nearby free parking (and he's not about to drop $20 at a garage--he won't use my trick of paying a nearbly restaurant valet, taking the class, and then having dinner, or vice versa).

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Sandy View Post
He keeps talking about wanting to attend a free class or two at the Apple Store, but the only one around here with classrooms has no nearby free parking (and he's not about to drop $20 at a garage--he won't use my trick of paying a nearbly restaurant valet, taking the class, and then having dinner, or vice versa).
I make extensive use of the free classes at the Apple store to help me learn what I need. I figure it's either that or adopt a teenager. The classes are cheaper...even with parking.
Old 10-01-2017, 09:30 AM

With a lot of users to support, I'm more and more convinced people who've done the IOS 11 upgrade are missing the new Control Center options and have turned off their cellular data.

Make sure your cellular data is on before you think your mail, texting or social media apps are not working. This link will show you the spot you've probably missed.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/ios-con...view-4483.html

Also know there's been a switch to HEIF vs .jpg photos as a default. A lot of programs you might have are not ready for that. If you send a pic in text or email it will convert to the popular format.

You might want to go to Camera app settings and change to the compatibility mode. If you want the ultimate in quality you might want to have a 3rd party app that shoots RAW files.

Overall I'm convinced I have more battery use but a lack of problems otherwise. All of the software updates have me thinking it's probably time for some to reconsider the Apple Watch. It, phone and some apps together have come a long way.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic