The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 03-13-2014, 10:07 AM

Default Yamaha NTX900fm or NTX1200r

So my mother has decided to take up the guitar and promptly took possession of my old classical, because the width and nylon are easier on her arthritic hands. It was my first guitar which gives me the excuse to finally get a nylon crossover I've been wanting since Rodrigo y Gabriela continue to amaze me. It's hard for me to find either yamaha ntx900fm or the ntx1200r in stores anywhere, let alone both to compare the sounds. So questions abound:

Anyone played both?
Which did you like better, why?
Were there vast tonal differences?
Which would you choose?

I'm leaning towards the ntx900fm mostly because of cosmetics because I don't have a guitar with maple but in the grand scheme of things the price differences isn't that huge if I'm keeping for life, especially if ntx1200r is that much better.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:20 PM
Charter Member

I don't know about Yamaha crossovers, however, they are likely both good guitars. I have a lower end Yamaha traditional classical which is my daily practice guitar. Cordoba also makes crossovers with their Fusion line.

Last edited by guitar4fun; 03-15-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 03-13-2014, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCW View Post
I'm new to the forum so I hope this is okay to post.
Pretty sure you have to be a charter member to use AGF to sell.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

Hi Azaro. Sorry I did not know. I just paid $25 to become a Charter Member. Regards, Ron.
Old 03-13-2014, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCW View Post
Hi Azaro. Sorry I did not know. I just paid $25 to become a Charter Member. Regards, Ron.
Great! Now you can post in the classifieds! Also, welcome to the forum!

Going back to the OP, I have not tried either one (I prefer a "true" classical or a "true" steel string).

Looking at the specs of each one, it looks like the 900FM is laminated flame maple, which may give you a slightly brighter sound than the solid rosewood in the 1200R (note the "may").

$700-$1000 will give you a lot of options as far as mid-range classical guitars, but if you really like the narrower necks, you can't go wrong with either one. Yamaha seems to have a large percent increase in price from laminate to solid woods (I own an LL16, which is 50% more expensive than its laminate b/s sister, the LL6). After playing many 6 level L-Series, I cannot say that it is entirely worth the $250 increase in price, especially because the ONLY difference between the 6 and the 16 is the laminate to solid b/s, respectively.

If you really like the way the 900FM looks, AND it's less expensive, I don't think you can go wrong with it. Call your local Yamaha dealer to see if they can't get one in for you.

Last edited by Azaro Ariņo; 03-13-2014 at 05:00 PM.
Old 03-14-2014, 04:01 AM

I've played the Yamaha NTX700 which is the cheapest of the NTX series. A very good quality, very "playable" guitar. Acoustic sound is OK and amplified sound is very good. The 900 and 1200 models are more expensive with higher specs.

Info about the series here:

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/music...product_lineup

I would certainly have no hesitation in buying any of the series - which you choose depends on your budget.
Old 03-14-2014, 05:42 AM

From time to time I cast a lustful eye at the 1200. I played the 700 (I think it was 700 - could have been 9) once and though it felt great and sounded good. To have that feel with solid spruce and rosewood and for less than $1,000 is quite a tempter.
Old 03-15-2014, 01:15 PM
Charter Member

Default Just posted pics for Cordoba maple crossover...

... in AGF classified.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:40 PM
Guest 219

It appears the NTX1200R is around 3.5 inches deep. What about the width of the guitar? I cannot find a spec for that.

Thanks, Tom
Old 08-26-2017, 03:47 PM

I have owned a NTX 1200R since they first became available in the USA. As a previous poster has said, the acoustic sound is OK and the amplified sound is very good. There is no difference with the electronics between the various models. I prefer solid rosewood and spruce which is why I opted for the 1200R

The string spacing is very tight on this guitar despite have more than enough nut width so I changed the nut and increased the spacing. Big improvement. See weblink below. Now this guitar will never take the place of my luthier built classical or flamenco guitars when it comes to unamplified tone but in a band or gig situation it can't be beat.

http://www.classical-guitars-plus.co...ha+NTX+guitars
Old 08-29-2017, 06:26 PM

NTX1200R - I would not say that the unplugged sound is great. I'll stick with the OK others have graded it with. Plugged in, which is why I bought it, I was quite pleased. I gifted it to my son after I put a wider nut spacing on it. The edge-to-string clearance was sufficient to bump the spacing wider by a couple millimeters and still not crowd the edges of the board with the E-strings. It's a great little player plugged in. The NTX1200R isn't much of a leap from steel string action and is a fine choice for a cross-over. My own preference now is a standard classical flat board with a cut and electronics, which is better for unplugged sound. I have not played the 900 iteration but I did choose the 1200 over other brands.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:30 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobT View Post
As a previous poster has said, the acoustic sound is OK and the amplified sound is very good.

The string spacing is very tight on this guitar despite have more than enough nut width so I changed the nut and increased the spacing. Big improvement. See weblink below.

http://www.classical-guitars-plus.co...ha+NTX+guitars
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
NTX1200R - I would not say that the unplugged sound is great. I'll stick with the OK others have graded it with. Plugged in, which is why I bought it, I was quite pleased. I gifted it to my son after I put a wider nut spacing on it. The edge-to-string clearance was sufficient to bump the spacing wider by a couple millimeters and still not crowd the edges of the board with the E-strings. It's a great little player plugged in. The NTX1200R isn't much of a leap from steel string action and is a fine choice for a cross-over.
I have the older APX5NA with B-Band. I switched the tuners and installed a wider nut. The switch to a wider spacing really improved the playability and made the guitar neck what it should be. The pick-up is very good. I would say on par or better than other ribbon style UST's; it's very sensitive/articulate.

As a steel string fingerstyle player, this guitar has become my favorite all around guitar. The best strings I've played thus far Oasis GPX Plus HT Trebles and MHT Bass. Otherwise, using makes that have wound G strings such as Saverez work well also.

I'd love to find a APX9na.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical