The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 10-09-2015, 06:49 AM

Default Gibson F-5G mandolin

Anyone have any pros or cons for the Gibson F-5G mandolins? What would be the best years to look at for one?

Steve
Old 10-09-2015, 07:22 AM

Gibson mandolins are pretty much the standard that everyone imitates, and most of them I've played are really good. Like all factory instruments, they can be a bit hit or miss. In that price range you're starting to get into some of the small maker stuff that can be really really good. For me, first priority would be playing the specific mandolin that I was looking at. The folks over at Mandolin Cafe would have some insight, and their classifieds section is drool-worthy.

1943 Gibson J-45
Martin Custom Shop 000-28 Authentic Aged 1937
Voyage Air VAOM-4

Last edited by Aaron Smith; 10-09-2015 at 07:47 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 09:02 AM

Simplified version of the Loar models. Sounds about the same. They made so few, wouldn't worry much about year made.
Old 10-09-2015, 10:16 AM

Not the best of threads but you should be able to glean a little more information about that model here:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...uot-Instrument
Old 10-09-2015, 12:11 PM

The F5 G is a bit like the Martin D-18. In most cases it is a solid, professional level instrument that is recognized as a sort of benchmark in the bluegrass world.

That being said, it is a Gibson, so they can be hit or miss. I don't think that the majority of F5 G mandolins are signed, but one bearing a signature, particularly if it is signed by one of the well-known Gibson mandolin luthiers (Weber, Derrington, Roberts) would almost certainly be a solid instrument, and command a premium as well.

I have played many F5 Gs, and they have been all over the map, some fantastic, some not so much. I have never played an F5 G that was an outright dog, but I have played a few that were just OK.

You can find used F5 Gs for around $3k, and at that price they are a pretty good choice. A new one goes for over $5k, and at that level, there are just so many good choices, it would be hard for me in good conscience to recommend a new F5 G when for the same $5k you could get an Ellis A.

So, to directly answer your question, the biggest thing about the F5 G is that it is the least expensive "real" Gibson F5, which remains the benchmark standard in bluegrass mandolins. The downsides are two fold.

1) it is the least expensive F5 Gibson makes, so most of them are unsigned. Some people will argue that less expensive models get short-changed in terms of woods, hardwear, and workmanship. I don't think that is entirely true. I honestly think Gibson tries to put out the best quality product they can every single time, but for whatever reason, there is remarkable variability in their production unless you are talking about the very high end Master Models. Those are pretty fantastic and compare favorably with any mandolin, anywhere.

2) You are paying a premium for the Gibson logo. Like I said, most F5s are good mandolins, but IMO, there is almost always a better choice at any price point outside of the MMs, but especially in the $3k-$6K range.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:47 AM

Gibson's F5G is a really great mandolin if you want that Gibson tone. It's probably the benchmark for bluegrass mandolins like a Martin is the benchmark for bluegrass guitars. The instrument itself reminds me of a Gibson J-45 actually in character, a little bassy, loose, and imperfect with lots of character.

I think that these vary a lot by the date and who was in charge of mandos at Gibson. The current Dave Harvey F5Gs seem to be just excellent, and that may be an understatement. Check Mandolin Cafe for more info, The Mandolin Store for a new one, and I'd say go for a newer "Harvey" used one 1st, then any older used one (these pop up in the usually spots often in clusters).

Overall I love mine. It has the sound I like (base heavy and a little older school) as opposed to the modern Weber sound and tighter Collings sounds.
Like guitars these days, there are many excellent makers depending on what you like. You do seem to pay a premium for the Gibson name (and sound).

Pros (to me):
That tone/sound
You can get the mandolin store custom with radius boards and big frets
Used ones pop up at decent deals

Cons (for me):
many have the older set-up (flat boards and tiny frets)
$$$ new- all bigger name mandos are getting pretty expensive also
more individual variability
Martin Tweedy 00-DB
Gibson F5G Custom
Kentucky KM-1000B

Last edited by KarGuitar; 10-13-2015 at 10:56 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments