The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 02-01-2009, 09:46 AM

Default recording

Hi folks, I don't often post in this section, but I do need some advice

Here's what I need for home recording:

1. A recorder is not tied to the computer ( I have Cakewalk, but do not want the CPU interfering)
2. something I can record a track with, and listen to it while I record another one with it then play them both back together.
3. I need to transfer the recordings to my computer as mp3's
4. Something that allows a little editing
5. Don't care about effects.
6. Something that does not have a 3 inch thick manual ( unless the first 10 pages are for 'jump start' people like me)
7. I do have a nice mic if I need to use it with the recording device
7. I do not want to spend more than $350 .

Can this be done?

I want some good clean recordings of my acoustics, nothing more than that.

Thanks,

Random Works
Old 02-01-2009, 09:48 AM

Yes, do you want portable or desktop type unit?
Old 02-01-2009, 12:07 PM

Default yes? Good!

HHP,

I will be recording mostly from my bedroom which is where I have my computer. There would be times I would leave the computer up and running, and record in another room. Portable to me only means moving it to a room in the house that has different acoustic properties or maybe to a friend's house. So I am not thinking of taking the recorder outside, nowhere without access to a wall outlet. I guess portable would be best

thanks

Random
Old 02-01-2009, 09:14 PM

Look at the new Zoom H4n. It's not out yet, but is to arrive soon at exactly your price point.

The existing H4 also matches your criteria, but the new model has been praised for improved construction quality and larger, brighter display. Zoom also claims improved preamp performance. So overall I would wait for the new model.

By the way, why would you want to transfer mp3s to your computer. SD cards (well, actually SDHC cards) will hold hours of CD quality (or better) uncompressed audio, and I think most techie types would recommend that you do your recording and processing in the highest audibly superior quality available, then compress for distribution.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 02-01-2009, 09:21 PM

Tascam and Fostex and Boss have low cost desktop models that would fit. Somewhat more user friendly than true portables and both have extensive edit capability as well as the means to use them easily.

Computer interface is easy. My problem with multi-track portables is they tend to rely on endless menus rather than easy to grab knobs.
Old 02-01-2009, 09:32 PM

Get one of these used:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fostex-M...20-i1173278.gc

http://www.guitarcenter.com/TASCAM-D...42-i1380740.gc

They will all be the same quality ---- made in China.

Let me know if you have any questions!
Old 02-01-2009, 10:06 PM

Default thanks guys

Fran, Alexrkstr and HHP,

Thank you all for the information. I have copied and pasted your posts so I can do some real hard looking at things.

I wear reading glasses and have a little bit of a hard time with tiny buttons and displays ( doesn't mean I won't go that route though).

Fran, that slack key looks most relaxing and sounds great as well.
Also about the SD cards VS mp3 , did not know that. I have a tech type friend who I will be calling on after I get my unit. He's all about sound quality, but hard to get with due to scheduling.

Again, thanks. I've been on the Internet looking at the devices you guys listed. Hopefully I'll be able to post some sound clips in the not too distant future.

Random

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell