The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-29-2009, 07:13 AM

Default Did It !

Although I almost chickened out, last night I played on stage in public for the first time in 30 years, going to an open mic night at a local pub. The place is friendly but can be a bit loud for my type of music, and my songs probably stuck out like a sore thumb.

After initial sound problems that got me flustered (I actually pushed the new B-Band system's volume control the wrong way!) everything went fairly well - no missed words or badly-muffed fingering - and some in the audience actually looked like they were interested - like they were hearing something different from the usual. Or maybe they just thought I was nuts! Anyway, the guy that runs it was complimentary and said to come back again. He added that a lot of people there play the same things every week and that it was nice to hear something out of the ordinary.

I didn't muff anything terribly and I learned a lot about why pros are so concerned with handling the sound themselves. If I try this venue again I'll try some louder songs. There's a quieter open mic down the street that runs tonight and I may give that a shot, too.

All in all it was a positive experience and I'm glad I tried.
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 01-29-2009, 08:49 AM

Congrats LPA! That might be the shortest turnaround time for anyone on this forum from initial confession of the desire to play out to the actual first experience. Good for you.

I had my first playing out experience in over 20 years this past November and only played out one other time since then so don't be like me. Keep on rolling out there.
Old 01-29-2009, 12:13 PM

Just a suggestion. Chicago Sandy is a member here. You might give her a shout (PM or email)

Peace.
http://www.myspace.com/sandyandina
Old 01-30-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
Although I almost chickened out, last night I played on stage in public for the first time in 30 years, going to an open mic night at a local pub. The place is friendly but can be a bit loud for my type of music, and my songs probably stuck out like a sore thumb.

After initial sound problems that got me flustered (I actually pushed the new B-Band system's volume control the wrong way!) everything went fairly well - no missed words or badly-muffed fingering - and some in the audience actually looked like they were interested - like they were hearing something different from the usual. Or maybe they just thought I was nuts! Anyway, the guy that runs it was complimentary and said to come back again. He added that a lot of people there play the same things every week and that it was nice to hear something out of the ordinary.

I didn't muff anything terribly and I learned a lot about why pros are so concerned with handling the sound themselves. If I try this venue again I'll try some louder songs. There's a quieter open mic down the street that runs tonight and I may give that a shot, too.

All in all it was a positive experience and I'm glad I tried.
Way to go ! I hope to get my nerves under control and try it before too long. I am now playing at least once per week with my friend, and we now have 3 origionals and several covers down fairly well.

I hope with the first one out of the way, you will keep going. I am sure it will have to get easier, and you will gain confidence and keep getting better.

2007 Taylor 410 Fall Limited
1994 Seagull S(6) Sunburst
2005 Fender Strat Sunburst

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell