The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 09-24-2017, 08:51 AM

For the post part I think the dreads have more sound and for some music they are the go to guitar to use. I prefer to build and play smaller guitars. I like the sound better for finger style playing and they are much more comfy to play. I can't build a better Bluegrass guitar then Martin or the rest of that build for that market. I can't play bluegrass or any other heavy handed type of music. I just can't strum that fast. I do love to play sweet sounding music. My favorite guitar I build is similar in size to a Gibson 185. I can hang with the big boys as far as sound but can't keep up with the breakneck speed and my shoulders like me better after I play a set.

Last edited by thomasfelty; 09-24-2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old 09-24-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucebubs View Post
Sure and the East Germans thought Trabant cars were good too.
While your analogy is quite apt for those who are fond of large guitars, I believe this thread is about smaller bodied guitars.
Old 09-25-2017, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iim7V7IM7 View Post
Well actually I believe that we see a fair share of larger Mod-D's and SJ sized guitars here in the AGF custom shop forum. We also see many guitars called "OM" by their makers that are quite a bit larger/deeper than the Nazareth namesake.
Many "OMs" being made by solo luthiers - especially the Somogyi-esque school - turn out to be more like GA or Mini Jumbo sized guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop