The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-26-2014, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

Default Axe Shield Damage

Thanks to all who offered thoughts on how to handle this very unfortunate situation. Further cleaning and buffing attempts have been unsuccessful as were efforts at communicating to find a remedy with the owners at LightwingStudios.com, seller of the Axe Shield Shrouds.

I received a few very odd email explanations as to why this damage occurred and was my responsibility that I won't even detail here as they made no sense to me at all. I'll be happy to share them privately if you wish to contact me via PM.

During my initial phone call the owner sounded concerned and talked of halting sales of the product until they could determine why their product, in this instance, leached black dye through the finish of my Martin D-18ge. That changed within 24 hours to a complete reversal and acceptance of no responsibility. Finally, I'm told they have ended all communication with me "on advice of counsel".

Thankfully, most sellers of music gear and accessories DO stand behind their products, honor written product claims and treat their customers with respect and courtesy. Some, unfortunately, do not. I'll likely just chalk this one up as a bad apple experience. One that I've learned from for sure! Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Old 06-07-2015, 05:48 AM

Hello All!

Just wanted to post a response to this thread here.

We have sold over 7,000 of our AxeShield products to musicians all over the world and have NEVER had an incident where an instrument has been compromised as a result of its use.

We contacted Martin Guitars regarding the other incident noted in this thread. They responded that they had had an issue with a particular run of cases which caused finishes to be compromised, repaired them and also REPLACED the cases in question which had a slightly looser fit and taller for more clearance around the lower bout.

This particular customer purchased 4 of our AxeShield products.

Our sales records indicated that the AxeShield under discussion was purchased in July of 2012 almost 2 years from when they contacted us.

After several conversations and email exchanges in which they demanded we send them $1,000 to have the instrument refinished, this customer admitted to us and our attorney, in writing and also to their attorney, that they had installed the AxeShield in an instrument case for which it was NOT designed to fit.

We offered to replace the AxeShield as long as they were willing to return the one in question for our inspection and analysis. That offer was refused.

As such, we informed them that we would not be held responsible for the use of the AxeShield in an unsupported instrument case.

We have not heard from them or their attorney since this admission on their part.

Regards,

Patrick Pearce, President
LightWing Studios

Last edited by LightWingStudis; 06-10-2015 at 09:32 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair