The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Charter Member

Default ?? about 12 string acoustics

Howdy friends, I,m thinking (yes it hurts) that I want to add a 12 string to the music room. Of the mid to lower priced ones out there, which in your opinion would be the best ones to start with. I will prob be looking to trade one of my 6 string acoustics for one.

Thanks in advance
Have a great weekend
Bill
Old 02-13-2010, 11:38 AM

Default Imho

I recommend seagull for low end and Taylor for mid.

it depends on what you want to spend, what style 12. they come in Jumbo like the Taylor 355 or dreadnought like the seagull.

Every brand makes a 12, you just have to try some out in your price range.

Just like a 6 string, the type of wood will effect the sound.

Of course finding the right one is half the fun...

Me... I started on a Seagull and added a Taylor 455 limited, which is rosewood with a cut away Jumbo... and of course the famous or infamous for some... ES pick up...
81 Fender E Strat
13 Epiphone Sheraton II
82 Seagull 12 string
Old 02-13-2010, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLJ710 View Post
I recommend seagull for low end and Taylor for mid.
This is a good call. I would also highly recommend Breedlove 12 strings, and of course Guild 12 strings really sort of set the bar for what North Americans, at least, expect from the instrument.

You can usually save quite a bit if you buy a used instrument instead of a new one, but because of all the added stress and tension that the guitar undergoes because of the additional six strings, you have to be especially cautious when buying a used 12 string guitar. Used examples definitely need to be examined very carefully before you buy one.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 02-13-2010, 12:28 PM

Taylor. If you have the time to wait until a good deal comes up. Taylor if you can't, but you need to spend some more money. You can save big time if you don't need electrics. A GA3-12 is a serious guitar for little money.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:59 PM

don't forget the takamine's. Incredible value for money and good reliable performance. They build their 12 strings to do the job. They are not converted 6 strings. £1000 ($1500) will buy you something to be proud of. I know, I have one.
cheers
Ian
Old 02-13-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
This is a good call. I would also highly recommend Breedlove 12 strings, and of course Guild 12 strings really sort of set the bar for what North Americans, at least, expect from the instrument.

You can usually save quite a bit if you buy a used instrument instead of a new one, but because of all the added stress and tension that the guitar undergoes because of the additional six strings, you have to be especially cautious when buying a used 12 string guitar. Used examples definitely need to be examined very carefully before you buy one.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
+1 on the Guild 12 strings. And you get often get them for a good price. Hang out on the Let's Talk Guild forum for in depth advice or to look for a good deal. They are fair traders there, and will steer you right on stuff that comes up for sale anywhere else.
Collings OM2H Custom
Old 02-13-2010, 01:04 PM

Cool

Watch the classifieds on this board-a Taylor 355 comes up for a great price every so often.
Washburn D61SW (Rosie)Gone to St Croix
Box full of Suzuki Harmonicas

I never saw a purple cow,but I can't rule it out.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian.lum View Post
don't forget the takamine's. Incredible value for money and good reliable performance. They build their 12 strings to do the job. They are not converted 6 strings. £1000 ($1500) will buy you something to be proud of. I know, I have one.

That's a good point. Not only are they very good guitars, but Takamine 12 string acoustic electric models also have the advantage of having one of the very best onboard plug and play pickup systems on the market.

whm

Last edited by Wade Hampton; 02-13-2010 at 01:09 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 02-13-2010, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
That's a good point. Not only are they very good guitars, but Takamine 12 string acoustic electric models also have the advantage of having one of the very best onboard plug and play pickup systems on the market.

whm
Just ask Glenn Frey!

Fred
Old 02-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

There really are a lot of choices, depending on how you will use this guitar. Some of the Takamine 12's are decent for performing. As others have noted, the Seagull 12 is a good value for not that much money. Taylor makes an excellent 12-string, the 355 is a perennially good buy. The Taylor LKSM is my favorite among Taylor 12's but even used, it's not cheap. But you can find them out there.

For me, I think the best buy and the best value, when you can find them, is a used Guild F212, which go for about 8C's. I own a '72 version of this model and love it. Howard Emerson plays one, and this is the model Paul Simon used with Simon & Garfunkel.

Regards, Glenn
Old 02-13-2010, 04:42 PM

Larrivee 12's are one of the best kept secrets around, premium grade woods, outstanding build quality, 1 7/8th's nut and a semi flat fret board and the street price will amaze you. Well worth the hunt to put on the short list to play for consideration. A lot of retail shops will likely stock the 03 series as a price point, personally I prefer the 05 or 09 myself, to each their own though. Here's a look at my L05 and a link to the Larrivee spec pages:

http://www.larrivee.com/instruments/acoustics/index.php

Kids got the others

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=797065
Old 02-13-2010, 05:10 PM
Charter Member

WOW..... Thanks for all of the great advice everyone. Gives me alot to think about. Now comes the fun....looking and playing. I,ll let you know what I find.

Thanks again
Bill
Old 02-13-2010, 05:40 PM

As said before, Taylor makes awesome 12-strings. Guilds are great as well.

I love these, too, and they're affordable:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_634wt_1033
Old 02-13-2010, 06:01 PM

Default Breedlove

My vote for an entry 12 would be a Korean made Breedlove.....The neck profile is very user friendly, when you are coming from a 6 string. They are designed around "The jld bridge system" a plus.( you can google it's features) Breedloves are great, their 12's are exceptional,,,,Happy hunting. Remember that it comes down to your feel, your ear, your wallet...take your time...try em all.........
Old 02-13-2010, 08:33 PM

Another [sleeper] nice 12 string in the entry level price range is the Crafter 12 string.
It's a Korean made guitar that looks and sounds great.
I would say that it leans toward a Taylor 12 string sound.
It has a solid spruce top with laminated sides and back.
The poly finish is a bit thick but it doesn't hold back the volume.
The fit and finish is good but not great but in it's price range, this is a very nice 12 string.
http://www.crafterusa.com/products/search.asp?pclass=1

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion