The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 08-19-2010, 06:21 PM

Default Squier thinline Telecaster - opinions

I have a Squier Affinity series Stratocaster and have been thinking about getting a Squier Thinline Mahogany Telecaster. Well I went and played one yesterday and really could not tell that much difference between the three different switch positions. Was it just my ear or what? I mean with the Strat there is a definite difference in the five positions all the way from kind of a warm muffled tone to a definite sharp bite twang sound. What should I be expecting from the Telecaster?
Alvarez RD20S12
Fender Telecaster
Ibanez AG-75
Martin 000X1AE
Cort Earth 70DE
Old 08-19-2010, 06:55 PM

Part of the problem could be how the guitar was setup - what I mean is how were the pickups set up - I have Fernandez strat style guitar and I have all three pickups set up different, my neck pickup is pretty high, it is slightly higher at bass strings and lower on the trebles, my middle position pickup is lowest of the three, on my bridge pickup I got it a bit higher on the trebles and a bit lower on bass strings, both neck and bridge are as high as I could get them without extreme humm. i can tell which one I am using as soon as I flip the switch. Maybe toggle switch was defective - wouldn't be the first time I have seen that. Hope any of this helps you. I have also looked at Afinity Tele's and they are great guitars for the price, like Squier's Vintage line even better.
Old 08-19-2010, 07:05 PM

Maybe there's a problem with the switch? One person recently got a Classic Vibe 50s Tele that had a "solder bridge" on the switch, causing a condition like you describe. I haven't played a Thinline yet, but all three positions should be quite different. Mellow at the neck, quacky in the middle, and hotter and more treble at the bridge.

I've been tempted to grab a Classic Vibe Thinline (waiting for a good sale). I have the 50s Classic Vibe, and love it, and have heard good things about the Thinline model as well.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/p...LAID=456494279
Old 08-20-2010, 05:19 AM

I've got a 50 vibe tele as well...great little guitar
Old 08-20-2010, 08:17 AM

You couldn't tell a difference because they're lousy pickups.

Save your money and buy a Squire or -even better - an actual Fender. Just stay away from anything that says "Affinity" on it, no matter how inviting the price.
Old 08-20-2010, 04:18 PM

Plus one for a possible problem with the selector switch or the PUP itself. Regardless of the quality of the PUPs you should be able to hear a difference between them.

You, or better yet a store employee, can tap on the PUP when it's selected. I use a small philips screwdriver, but a coin will work. If you get a sound through the amp the PUP is working, although it might not be functioning fully.

Taylor 414e Ltd Claro Walnut__Takamine EC132C__Larrivee 000-40R__Yairi WY-1__Alvarez PJ85SC-DVS & PJ85SC-12DVS, RB30SC__Guild GAD-JF48__Seagull Model 12, S12, S6+ Folk, M4 Spruce__Ibanez AW-25 (12s), PF5CENT __Olympia OD?, OP2__Hohner Morena-HAM 712 mandolin__Flight Ukulele__Yamaha Guitalele
Old 08-21-2010, 10:51 AM

Thanks for the input. Went to three different guitar stores today and played several different telecasters, both Squier and Fender and was able to tell the difference in the switch positions. The one I originally played must have just been a bad one. The one I liked the most was the Fender American Standard in the Lake Placid Blue. Sounded great and I loved the neck on it. Gonna have to get one as soon as I unload one of the acoustics.
Alvarez RD20S12
Fender Telecaster
Ibanez AG-75
Martin 000X1AE
Cort Earth 70DE

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification