The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2017, 10:16 AM

I think Taylor makes wonderful guitars at many price points.

I prefer acoustics from other manufacturers, however this does not preclude me from appreciating these fine guitars and the

sounds they create in skilled hands.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortiz196 View Post
.... does realy Taylor a real value for the money or we are only paying for a brand? Whats your opinion?
"Real Value" is determined by the buyer. Taylor makes fine instruments and if you like them, enough to pay the price for the model you want, it is a good value.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:29 AM

Perhaps a little of both.

For the most part, regardless of product, you'll almost always pay up for a brand name. People are sheeple. They follow the trend of the day. That's what marketing is about. Creating a trend and capitalizing on it.

Does Taylor make good guitars? Of course. Price vs value? That's up to you.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 05-26-2017, 10:37 AM

Default Guitar Quality

For me there are 3 quality's that are important.

1. Sounds good
2. Plays like I want it to.
3. Paid for. Affordable without a loan.

Name on the headstock means little.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Hello everybody. I've spent a while evaluating some brands and models of 12 string acoustics. Now tha I have a full radiography of all its features and prices this question is disturbing my dreams: does realy Taylor a real value for the money or we are only paying for a brand?
Whats your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My research and evaluation shows that the Taylors I've played, including the ones I've owned in the past and present are very high quality guitars at a fair and reasonable price...

Next question?
Old 05-26-2017, 10:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychojohn View Post
Now, after living in Georgia for more than 20 years, I recently met a fellow native Pennsylvanian who still lives in Philadelphia. We reminisced about a lot of things including music (he is a drummer, psychologist, and attorney) and then I asked the most important question that can be asked of any Philadelphian: Pat's or Geno's Cheese Steaks ?

He replied: Me and my entire family think that the best cheese steak in Philadelphia is made at Ishkabibbles !!!

Go Figure !!! Never heard of them, let alone ate one of their cheese steaks.

John
I asked the same question when I returned to Philly this past March. Ended up going to Pat's not knowing that they only took cash and only outside seating. I thought the Ishkabibble response was some sort of play on the famous comedian/cornet player of the same name https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ish_Kabibble . Wow, turns out there is a Philly steak shop by that name http://www.philacheesesteak.com/....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-26-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
I asked the same question when I returned to Philly this past March. Ended up going to Pat's not knowing that they only took cash and only outside seating. I thought the Ishkabibble response was some sort of play on the famous comedian/cornet player of the same name https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ish_Kabibble . Wow, turns out there is a Philly steak shop by that name http://www.philacheesesteak.com/....
Actually, Pat's and Geno's make terrible cheesesteaks. But it's a great tourist trap down there. Love the neon ha ha! It's Steve's Prince of Steaks for me.

Oh, I have owned three Taylors and have liked them all. But I do prefer the sound of my other guitars. But nothing at all wrong with Taylors! And I have great respect for Bob Taylor, I really liked his book (Guitar Lessons...).

Bob Taylor built a wonderful business that exhibits his personal integrity.
Old 05-26-2017, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Hello everybody. I've spent a while evaluating some brands and models of 12 string acoustics. Now tha I have a full radiography of all its features and prices this question is disturbing my dreams: does realy Taylor a real value for the money or we are only paying for a brand?
Whats your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
From my limited perspective as a relative newcomer (both to playing and to the forum), I would say the answer is yes. That is, as someone else said, a bit of both. You are paying for the name, but you are also paying for the reputation that goes with that name in order to get a quality guitar.

Personally, I would love to have a Taylor and may yet end up with one, but I have heard guitars from several different makers I would also be happy with. It all depends on what you what in terms of sound and in terms of price. I have a relatively limited budget compared to some, so a Taylor may not be my next guitar (and I'm not in a position to buy two or three). My goal is to get the most guitar for the money based on what my needs and goals are. Taylor may end up not meeting that criteria. If it does for you, then buy it.
https://www.reverbnation.com/walthuntsman
1992 Seagull S6
2014 Eastman E10SS
Old 05-26-2017, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808K View Post
Actually, Pat's and Geno's make terrible cheesesteaks. But it's a great tourist trap down there. Love the neon ha ha! It's Steve's Prince of Steaks for me.

Oh, I have owned three Taylors and have liked them all. But I do prefer the sound of my other guitars. But nothing at all wrong with Taylors! And I have great respect for Bob Taylor, I really liked his book (Guitar Lessons...).

Bob Taylor built a wonderful business that exhibits his personal integrity.
Growing up 45 minutes from the city limits and then going to Temple University and living in Philly, I grew up on Pat's. Nothing like getting abused by widow guy for not knowing how to order your sandwhich quickly; then adding peppers from the jar; then "assuming the position" at an outside table or bar, leaning over so that the grease doesn't spill on your shirt when you take that first bite is just part of my Prototypical Philadelphia experience, tourist trap or not. But you know what, next time I'm in town I'll try Ishkabibbles !

Re the OP post, the moral of my story and responses to same is "different tastes for different people but things change (over the years and with the times) so there is always a new guy on the block doing something to set themselves apart from the crowd/make a better product. As a guitar consumer we'd do well to be open to all options and possibilities. If not, we might miss something tasty ! Tastes differ, so get what tastes good to you while remaining open to the possibilities of new and better flavors !

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 05-26-2017, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=psychojohn;5353137]Now, after living in Georgia for more than 20 years, I recently met a fellow native Pennsylvanian who still lives in Philadelphia. We reminisced about a lot of things including music (he is a drummer, psychologist, and attorney) and then I asked the most important question that can be asked of any Philadelphian: Pat's or Geno's Cheese Steaks ?

He replied: Me and my entire family think that the best cheese steak in Philadelphia is made at Ishkabibbles !!!

John[/QUO

my favorite philadelphia cheesesteak is from The Ice House in Pottstown (about 40 miles west of phila).]

Those sandwiches from Pat's or Geno's use 'squirt cheese' - at least when i tried them that 's what they used - and that just ruins the taste of the sandwhich for me.

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 05-26-2017, 12:31 PM

[QUOTE=amyFB;5353295]
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychojohn View Post
Now, after living in Georgia for more than 20 years, I recently met a fellow native Pennsylvanian who still lives in Philadelphia. We reminisced about a lot of things including music (he is a drummer, psychologist, and attorney) and then I asked the most important question that can be asked of any Philadelphian: Pat's or Geno's Cheese Steaks ?

John[/QUO

my favorite philadelphia cheesesteak is from The Ice House in Pottstown (about 40 miles west of phila).]

Those sandwiches from Pat's or Geno's use 'squirt cheese' - at least when i tried them that 's what they used - and that just ruins the taste of the sandwhich for me.
At the risk of turning a Taylor twelve string post into a cheese steak thread, I'll extend the metaphor a little further. The first time I went to Pat's, I went with a friend who told me to order it like a native: "Cheese wit". I did, and it came out drowning in cheese wiz. Terrible. I then learned that those really in the know order with provolone or swiss or American, what ever cheese you like. Actually, my favorite cheese steak is from the Brass Rail in Allentown PA. They make those with a tomato sauce that makes it it's own unique sandwich. But that is my point, everyone has different taste preferences making "the best" debates more of a discussion on personal preference than objective superiorority.

I own many dreads, some Martin sounding because I like Martin Sounding Dreads out of rosewood and adi. That Stephen Stills CSNY tone. But I also own a sweet Taylor Dread out of flamed Big leaf Maple that I love for it's own properties and it's contrast to the Martin dread tone. For me variety is the spice of life ! Other's like less spice and diversity. That's good too !!

John

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22
Old 05-26-2017, 12:38 PM

The correct answer is, "Both."

Paying for a brand, means you are paying for their pedigree, which typically includes great-sounding guitars.

We seem to create some binary world where the answer HAS to be one or the other. We also seem to think, "Paying for a brand" is disparaging. Not to me!

If you want a Filson, you have to pay for a Filson (outerwear). If you are okay with an Eddie Bauer, sobeit.

I love my Taylor! If I could sell it, pocket a $Grand and buy something as good for less, I wouldn't.

Not a clear thought to me at all!

f-d
Old 05-26-2017, 12:43 PM

I think that Taylor and Martin may be just a little bit overpriced on the low end. Consider that a Martin with HPL laminate back and sides and stratabond neck costs around $450/500.00 and you understand what I mean.
However they are great guitars. But... in the last decade, thanks to CTC machines, low cost China labor, a lot of brands have put on the market lot of excellent acoustic guitars at very attractive prices. This was not happening many years ago. At that time, low cost guitars were bad and difficult to play.
Therefore I guess that today the competition (in the low end range) for Martin and Taylor is stronger.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:50 PM
Guest316

Taylor makes great guitars at all price points. Are we paying for the name? A little bit, I guess, but with the name comes an assurance of high quality, great sound, and great playability.

Am I going to sell my Gibson to get a Taylor? Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha haha
(snort)hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah ahahahahahahahaha

Last edited by Guest316; 05-26-2017 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Added snort
Old 05-26-2017, 01:03 PM

I'm suddenly hungry. Which is unusual for a Taylor discussion.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion