The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-26-2017, 09:23 AM

Default Taylor: only brand name or real value for the money?

Hello everybody. I've spent a while evaluating some brands and models of 12 string acoustics. Now tha I have a full radiography of all its features and prices this question is disturbing my dreams: does realy Taylor a real value for the money or we are only paying for a brand?
Whats your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2017, 09:25 AM

IMHO, fine guitars, priced competitively for the market.

So yeah it's a value.

Last edited by Kerbie; 05-26-2017 at 09:49 AM. Reason: Removed masked profanity
Old 05-26-2017, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortiz196 View Post
Hello everybody. I've spent a while evaluating some brands and models of 12 string acoustics. Now tha I have a full radiography of all its features and prices this question is disturbing my dreams: does realy Taylor a real value for the money or we are only paying for a brand?
Whats your opinion?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This feels a bit like troll bait.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:31 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

The only way you can know the answer to that question is to play a bunch of Taylors and other brands and see what your hands and ears tell you. I suspect that brands like Taylor and Martin did not get to be as widespread and successful as they are without knowing something about building decent guitars that fit people's needs and wants. Just sayin'

Best,
Jayne
Old 05-26-2017, 09:31 AM

If you like the way they feel and sound, Taylor guitars are great bang for the buck. If you do not, then they are just another in a long line of overpriced instruments.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gortiz196 View Post
Whats your opinion?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotso View Post
Actually I think its a fair question. My take on what the OP is asking is "What are we buying" as I asked the same thing about custom builds.

Last night I was learning a new song which includes hitting the 4th fret 2nd string with my pinky while holding the C note on the 5th string with my ring finger. I used my Alvarez 12 fret short scale so I can make the stretch cleanly. For what I was playing and doing, it was the right guitar.

If I was not a member here, would I own a few guitars at the $1,500 to $2,300 levels or just be happy with my $350 Alvarez for what I do?

A lot of times we are just paying for brand name, but a lot of times our ears are refined enough hear the differences and our style of playing enables us to enjoy the differences.

Somebody who just plays Piedmont blues or rag time doesn't need a guitar with a lot of sustain. The music dictates what is needed.

The bottom line question is "would owning 'Brand X' make you want to pick it up and play it more?"

When you pick up a major brand at above the $1,000 mark, you have an expectation of the tone and quality which is almost always met head on. Taylor makes a good guitar. So does Martin, Gibson, Seagull, Breedlove, etc. Its whatever makes you happy.

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 05-26-2017, 09:49 AM

For decades, my Taylors have done exactly what I except of them. Great, solid sound and build. I couldn't recommend their products more. And if you care about a guitar company's commitment to eco-responsibility (reforestation, sustainability, etc.), Bob Taylor's inspiring work around the world is leading the way.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The OP's previous posts indicate that he is from outside the US and lives in a country with a pretty limited selection of guitars. I sense that he is trying to educate himself about different brands and so the question of value for the money is very reasonable. I'm a big Taylor fan and would say that one gets a very good instrument for the money spent. Taylors are not cheap but I believe that one is not only buying the guitar but also customer service after the sale which is said to be excellent. FWIW as much as I love my Taylors, I also like the idea of supporting this particular company...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
If you like the way they feel and sound, Taylor guitars are great bang for the buck. If you do not, then they are just another in a long line of overpriced instruments.
Agreed....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 05-26-2017, 09:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
my thoughts exactly........

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 05-26-2017, 09:55 AM

Taylor created his brand by offering excellent guitars at a price that those who enjoy his instruments, will pay.

Value to you may be very different than to others - - -
Old 05-26-2017, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Value -
- as in how much it will sell for used?
- or how well constructed ?

If you are concerned about resale value - I think this info would be readily available by browsing sold items on reverb or ebay.

if the construction quality is of concern then I think you'll find plenty of reviews both here at aGF and out on the greater internet web that will help you with the confidence in your decision.

i've heard mostly good things about taylor and they're not an upstart that's only been around a few years - so you're probably ok .....

but - at the time of purchase, the thing that would most impact my choice would be tone and playability.

good luck with whatever you get!

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 05-26-2017, 09:56 AM

Taylor makes the greatest guitars in the world, and I'm surprised at how inexpensive they are.
...there's your answer.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 05-26-2017, 10:00 AM
Charter Member

Very well built and one of the best lifetime warranties in the business to the original owner. So yup they are a great value for the money. As long as you like the way it plays and sounds. I wouldn't want to own only Taylors but I'm dang happy with the one that I've had for 23 years.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 05-26-2017, 10:05 AM

I own a Taylor, and it is worth every penny I paid for it.
I love it.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:11 AM

Default Ishkabibble's !!

Now, after living in Georgia for more than 20 years, I recently met a fellow native Pennsylvanian who still lives in Philadelphia. We reminisced about a lot of things including music (he is a drummer, psychologist, and attorney) and then I asked the most important question that can be asked of any Philadelphian: Pat's or Geno's Cheese Steaks ?

He replied: Me and my entire family think that the best cheese steak in Philadelphia is made at Ishkabibbles !!!

Go Figure !!! Never heard of them, let alone ate one of their cheese steaks.

John
13 Fret Charis SJ
Martin D-41
Halcyon 12 Fret 000
A&L Ami
McIlroy A30c
Taylor 610 LTD
Martin DCPA1
Seagull Original
Gretsch White Falcon
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (Ebony)
Epi LP 60's Tribute Plus (HC Burst)
Epi Swingster Royale
Gibson LP Trad Pro II
Godin Exit 22

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion