The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-25-2017, 01:40 AM

+1 fishy, phone, road trip

If he's in the wind; I had a very special guitar go MIA in Calgary. After stalling me for years the guy closed shop. My phone never rang. Every once in awhile, I would phone shops in the area. After several years another shop owner was more than happy to tell me the ghost had reappeared. Jumped in an absolute pos car, drove 8 hours, with the wife and a farty dalmatian, and was there to help him open his shop the following morning.

The look on his face? Priceless.

I don't want to get into a lot of detail (slagging) but Jean is aware of the whole story. He helped me out once I got the guitar back. (Thanks Jean!) And I in turn promised him I would never ever, ever, ever send my L-78 Presentation to anyone but Larrivee for repairs ever again. (No matter how embarrassed I was about the damage.)

I guess my point is, no matter what, don't get discouraged -- but get on it. They can be tracked down.

The industry also has my respectful gratitude.
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV
Old 05-25-2017, 01:44 AM

Paint jobs take time.

However a year is ridiculous

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 05-25-2017, 04:34 AM
Charter Member

Time to out this guy with his name and location. Chances are if he's got a reputation as you suggest , someone on AGF knows him.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 05-25-2017, 06:01 AM

Guy comes into a guitar repair shop.

"Can I help you?" says the repairman.

"Yes, I hope so! I don't know anything about guitars, I don't play. But my grandfather played his whole life. He just passed away a few weeks ago, and as we were going through his house, I found this repair claim ticket from 1947. If by any chance you still have the instrument, it would mean a lot to me to have it, as a memory of him. Could you look?"

Repairman says, "Well, I can see if I can find it...". He's gone for almost two hours, then comes back out with a smile on his face.

"It was buried, but I managed to find your Grandfather's guitar! It should be done by Tuesday..."

Taylor GS8
Godin A6 Ultra
Old 05-25-2017, 06:46 AM

You know it's funny but it actually works both ways. I was just playing a guitar last night that my wife had never seen before and asked me about it. It's a Manual Contreras student guitar from the mid 1960's. A customer had brought it in about 10 years ago with lots of damage. I think I did about $500 dollars worth of repairs. Customer never answered his phone or emails, one year goes by, two years, three, after five years I figured it was mine.

I guess the moral of the story in this thread is, don't worry about finish dings and never get your guitar refinished
Old 05-25-2017, 10:59 AM

Not quite the same. You didn't lose $500, just didn't make it plus you got to keep a guitar. Not what you wanted but you didn't lose money.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgehrig4 View Post
Not quite the same. You didn't lose $500, just didn't make it plus you got to keep a guitar. Not what you wanted but you didn't lose money.
If you went to work for a week and didn't get paid you would say that you lost a weeks wages. You wouldn't say that you didn't make it. Same with a luthier. If he agrees to do work for another person for $500.00, does the work and then doesn't get paid, the luthier is out $500.00.

Having to wait 10 years to get paid isn't reasonable either.

Offsetting the loss, however, is the fact that the luthier now has the guitar that he can keep or sell to offset all or part of his loss.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar george View Post
If you went to work for a week and didn't get paid you would say that you lost a weeks wages. You wouldn't say that you didn't make it. Same with a luthier. If he agrees to do work for another person for $500.00, does the work and then doesn't get paid, the luthier is out $500.00.

Having to wait 10 years to get paid isn't reasonable either.

Offsetting the loss, however, is the fact that the luthier now has the guitar that he can keep or sell to offset all or part of his loss.
Not keeping your end of the deal isnt cool regardless of what side of the deal you are on, but the customers are always in a worse position just as the OP is. As you stated the luthier now has a guitar......for free
Old 05-25-2017, 01:21 PM

Yup it's a great guitar, but I also have about 20 guitars and don't need it. The 500 would have been nice.

One year and no communication is way too long. Most people are understanding as long as they are not kept in the dark.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Dog View Post
+1 fishy, phone, road trip

If he's in the wind; I had a very special guitar go MIA in Calgary. After stalling me for years the guy closed shop. My phone never rang. Every once in awhile, I would phone shops in the area. After several years another shop owner was more than happy to tell me the ghost had reappeared. Jumped in an absolute pos car, drove 8 hours, with the wife and a farty dalmatian, and was there to help him open his shop the following morning.

The look on his face? Priceless.

Did you threaten him with the Dalmatian?
Old 05-25-2017, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Did you threaten him with the Dalmatian?
Farty dalmatian.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:07 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
One year and no communication is way too long. Most people are understanding as long as they are not kept in the dark.
Not disputing your POV, but have you considered that the owner may not be deliberately ignoring you, but may have passed away, or be long-term sick, or otherwise detained/indisposed, and unable to communicate with you?

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 05-26-2017, 06:23 AM

I'd be going to visit. I had to have my guitar repaired some years back. I sent it back to the factory (5000 mile round trip) who had to strip the top, fix a hole, and re-finish it. All up it took 3 months. 12 months is a little too long.
Old 05-26-2017, 06:49 AM

Time for a road trip and a face-to-face.

Hope for the best but expect the worst.

You are clearly being taken advantage of but you have some of the blame here if the two of you did not agree on the time/date you expected to pick your guitar up. He has no financial impetus to touch your guitar since he has already been paid. Consider it a tuition of life.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19

Last edited by roylor4; 05-26-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:23 AM

Have any of those parading with torches noticed that the OP never reappeared to tell us what his original agreement was?

It has been suggested that the tech may be dead, or sick. Lots of things are possible. Maybe the tech is a crook. Maybe he is a procrastinator. Maybe he changed his phone number. Maybe he has a bunch of paying jobs and keeps putting off one that is prepaid. Maybe when he took the job he said something like, "I'm swamped with work and I can't say when I'll get to it--it could be a while. Is that OK?" Maybe he did not ask the OP to pay in advance, but the OP said something like, "I have the money now and I'm not sure if I'll still have it when the guitar is done, so let me pay you now." I've seen that quite a few times.

We don't know.

Last edited by Howard Klepper; 05-26-2017 at 07:45 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion