The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-24-2017, 11:34 AM

As shown above, the newer fiberglass flight cases aren't significantly heavier than much weaker plywood hardcases that provide inadequate protection by comparison. Hence the weight objection is purely an issue of image and not reality.

In terms of cost, it is instructive to note that the original prewar Martins were only about 3-4 times more expensive than the even less protective hard cases they were issued in. If we use that as a good comparison, any guitar that cost more than $4000 should deserve a flight case to protect it.

If one says it is overkill to have one, then it is important to remember that one buys a flight case not for the 99 times that you carry it without any incident - you carry it for that one time out of 100 that it will protect the guitar from a threat that would damage it in a lesser case.

Last edited by gitarro; 05-24-2017 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:34 AM

If you own a guitar worth more than $5,000 or you can justify spending $1,000 for a guitar case to take to lessons and open mics or you simply can afford to see a chiropractor once a month from lugging it around. Then a Calton is an awesome purchase.

If you are flying with your guitar, look into Hiscox.

I personally suggest looking into Crossrock cases for an everyday case that will provide great protection.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 05-24-2017, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

Well, they are very well built... and not any heavier than an Ameritage case - in fact, I think they're lighter than the ones I've picked up... I heard a lot about how heavy the Calton cases are, before I got mine, and I've got to say, they aren't much heavier than a "normal" hard shell case, and they are a WHOLE LOT better protection for your instrument.

I have on for my Goodall... had the money to spend when I got my Goodall, and I figured, "What the heck? Why not have a REALLY good case for this expensive guitar!". I'm glad I went ahead and bought it.

I never worry about anything happening to that guitar, not when it is in that case...

So, is it "worth it"? Well, all things are relative, but to me, it is worth it, without a doubt. It's great to know that I could stick it in baggage if I fly somewhere and not be overly concerned... and I don't find it any more cumbersome to carry around town for gigs, either.

Don't think I'd get one for an $800 guitar, but if you are wanting to protect an expensive guitar, Caltons are a good way to go... Karura may be even better, but they cost even more than a Calton! Especially now that Caltons are being made in America, they're a great case to have for that "special" guitar, whether you're flying or just traveling around.

If you never leave your house with that guitar, then don't bother...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 05-24-2017, 12:41 PM
Eric Skye

I got my Calton for flying. It's more of insurance thing (both literally and figuratively) in that in the hundreds of times I've flown Southwest for gigs I've never once been asked to check it in - in fact recently I've become a tad complacent about some direct flights where I know there's going to be a lot of walking on the other end (the NAMM show comes to mind) and I just fly with a gig bag. Around town sometimes I'll use the Calton because its the only case I have, but most of the time it's the gig bag. If you are doing a fair amount of travel, especially overseas, the Calton is smart. But for around town or just in your home it seems silly to me.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

Hoffee just came out with a less expensive lighter case that I think is also worth considering: http://www.carbonfibercases.com/hoffee-air.html

Mitch
Old 05-24-2017, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post
Totally disagree.
With which part, and why?
Old 05-26-2017, 04:40 AM
Charter Member

I‘ll weigh into the debate

On my bathroom scales (not the most accurate test, I’ll admit):

A 2007 Calton – 6.5 kg
A 2008 Ameritage – 7 kg
A 2015 Hoffee – about 5.5 kg

All with similar sized guitars, which were removed for the weighing. So not a lot in it. Personally I consider the build quality of the Calton and the Hoffee well ahead of the Ameritage, which has a looser fit and a weaker handle.

Col
Old 05-26-2017, 10:12 AM

New member here....

Purchased my Carlton case around 1978 when living in the UK, it has kept my Fylde Lysander safe and sound in all this time including crossing the Atlantic.

Apart from usual scratches it is virtually as good as new, when ordering from Keith Carlton I told him the guitar maker/model and the guitar fitted like a glove on arrival.

Don't take it out of the house much these days but it's good to know that if I do the guitar is secure.

Dave
Old 05-26-2017, 11:47 AM

It also depends on how much disposable income you have, and your willingness to spend it.
Not everyone is the same.

There's also certainty vs. risk.
There is a chance your $30,000 guitar in a $20 gig bag will never encounter damaging trauma or climate.
There a chance your $1,000 case will be destroyed by some freak trauma or natural disaster.

Ambiguity, ya know.
Old 05-26-2017, 12:19 PM
Charter Member

I haven't had one but they look an inch wider so I stay away in deference to my closet Sq Footage.

I do like them opened up, looking so luxurious.
Old 05-26-2017, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

I have about 10 guitars but in only 2 sizes. I keep a Carlton in OM/000 and 00. I have the original cases under the beds, but around town to lessons or to the tech, I use a gig bag (Access). I don't notice between the weight of the Calton vs the Geib or TKL (and my spine is fused at 5 levels) but today's gig bags are so light yet extremely sturdy. I'd never admit on a public forum that I move my 30's Martins around in my gig bag all the time, yet I'd never not ship in a Calton.
Old 05-27-2017, 05:26 PM
Humanist

There is no "r" in Calton...

...and there's no Calton in my house.

I greatly prefer the Karura product to any of the other high-end cases.

The Karura is the stiffest across the top of any of the CF cases, and as light (or lighter) as any of them.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 03-21-2023, 05:14 AM

Default Calton Case strap creaking in D rings

Hi folks, I tried to ask Calton Cases about this problem but their 'Contact Us' page is giving a 404 error and there is no email address listed on the site.

My case is quite elderly (as am I) and was built in the UK by Keith Calton about 20 years ago. It came supplied with a shoulder strap which uses metal spring clips to attach to the D rings on the case. Unfortunately the resulting grating of metal on metal is just too much to bear. Given the weight of the case, I'm reluctant to replace the metal clips with plastic / nylon ones which I have on a Pegasus mandolin case I own.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a robust alternative?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Paul Haley; 03-21-2023 at 05:34 AM.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Haley View Post
Hi folks, I tried to ask Calton Cases about this problem but their 'Contact Us' page is giving a 404 error and there is no email address listed on the site.

My case is quite elderly (as am I) and was built in the UK by Keith Calton about 20 years ago. It came supplied with a shoulder strap which uses metal spring clips to attach to the D rings on the case. Unfortunately the resulting grating of metal on metal is just too much to bear. Given the weight of the case, I'm reluctant to replace the metal clips with plastic / nylon ones which I have on a Pegasus mandolin case I own.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a robust alternative?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Paul…
Try this page/link…

Calton case parts…CliCk

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-21-2023, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
If you own a guitar worth more than $5,000 or you can justify spending $1,000 for a guitar case to take to lessons and open mics or you simply can afford to see a chiropractor once a month from lugging it around. Then a Calton is an awesome purchase.

If you are flying with your guitar, look into Hiscox.

I personally suggest looking into Crossrock cases for an everyday case that will provide great protection.
I've considered a Calton case just because I had a guitar custom made for me and want to consider the best possible protection for it. I know Calton makes custom cases (Lord knows, I've used their online guide enough!) but my biggest issue are my guitar's dimensions. Calton gives instructions on how to measure your guitar, but I seem to have ten thumbs (and not enough paper) to get the job done.

My builder/luthier couldn't find a case, either. The closest he could come (and he shipped the guitar in it) was a Gator Journeyman Resonator case. It fits, but has a little wobble room. I'd like something a little snugger.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion