The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-19-2017, 09:19 AM
Charter Member

What a songwriter Jesse was.

I saw him at the Variety in Atlanta sharing the billing with Guy Clark. It was just after "Gentleman of Leisure" CD had come out.

Optima dies, prima fugit
Old 04-19-2017, 09:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJackal View Post
I was at that show. I first saw Jesse at the "Goin' West" in Scott, LA in about 1982. I was fortunate to see him a number of other times. He was a master songwriter, consummate performer, and could command the room with his quiet presence. He was a kind, gentle soul. I had the pleasure of visiting with him briefly at several of his shows. His body of work is amazing. His stature can only grow as more people discover his music.

Mississippi, You're On My Mind remains one of my favorites.
Forgive the extra post here, folks, but Jackal, I see that I sorta glossed over this wonderful post of yours and didn't respond directly. Your assessment of the man and his music are spot-on.

"Quiet presence" is a good way to describe it. Certain people have an ability to draw everyone's attention and Jesse certainly had that.

I think I already mentioned above that he is a direct descendent of Stephen Foster, and that strikes me as a very apt assessment of his place in the American canon. I wish he was still among us, but I'm doing want I can to keep his songs alive. This is my way of repaying a debt.

Thanks again,
Jackal
Old 04-19-2017, 10:21 PM

I haven't read the entire thread, so I hope I'm not duplicating a post. Jesse's command of language and rhythm were mesmerizing. Along with "Yankee Lady", I would say that "If I Were Free" is my other favorite song of his. The way he uses paradoxical language in that song is just stunning...
Old 04-19-2017, 11:41 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmacd View Post
I haven't read the entire thread, so I hope I'm not duplicating a post. Jesse's command of language and rhythm were mesmerizing. Along with "Yankee Lady", I would say that "If I Were Free" is my other favorite song of his. The way he uses paradoxical language in that song is just stunning...
PJ, I wasn't familiar with that song, but I found a pretty decent live version from him a few years ago on YT. Very beautiful song. I'll try to find some time in the next day or two to post it.

It reminded me of how deep Jesse's catalog is, and how even his lesser known songs would make a career for just about anyone else. And BTW, without you reading the entire thread the most common adjective folks have used here to describe his concerts is "mesmerizing," so you hit the nail on the head.

This reminded me of another song I'm surprised isn't better known, "If Only," which I first heard on his Live From Mountain Stage. I've always loved live solo performances from various artists, and this one is a gem. There's something about the purity, simplicity and honesty that shines through with just voice, guitar and song. As soon as I heard that song, I knew I was in the presence of a master songwriter. Here you go:

Old 05-20-2017, 09:09 AM
AGF Sponsor

Hope it's okay if I bump this one up. I just love Jesse and miss him so much. A true songwriter's songwriter.

Would love to hear from other fans of Jesse's tunes, especially if you had a chance to see him live in concert.

scott memmer
Old 05-20-2017, 12:29 PM
Charter Member

No need to apologize for reminding folks of Jesse Winchester's brilliance and grace!

A good reminder for me to play a few of his songs tonight at my gig... I think I'll do "Isn't That So" and "Payday"... at times I will play "The Brand New Tennessee Waltz" and put the original "Tennessee Waltz" in the middle section, too...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 05-20-2017, 12:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
No need to apologize for reminding folks of Jesse Winchester's brilliance and grace!

A good reminder for me to play a few of his songs tonight at my gig... I think I'll do "Isn't That So" and "Payday"... at times I will play "The Brand New Tennessee Waltz" and put the original "Tennessee Waltz" in the middle section, too...
JSeth, that's a great notion to put the Waltz tunes back to back. I've actually thought of doing that myself, but haven't worked it up yet. Question: Are you playing solo or with a group?

"Payday" is a great funky one to open a set with. I lean towards the sad ones, esp "I Wave Bye-Bye," "Songbird" and "A Showman's Life" (which George Strait had a big hit with, and which a lot of people don't know Jesse wrote). I also think "Little Glass of Wine" is stunning, and a little known tune called "If Only."

Thanks for your contribution to this thread. There are two people who I promised myself I'd do what I could after they passed to keep their music alive: Jesse Winchester and Steve Goodman.

Have a Great Day,
Scott
Old 05-26-2017, 09:44 AM
AGF Sponsor

Just a bump to hear from more Jesse fans. Love this man's music.

sm
Old 06-05-2017, 04:19 PM
AGF Sponsor

Forgive me if I'm bumping this one up too much. I just love me some Jesse.

I consider myself very lucky to have lived at a time when I could see Jesse perform in concert.

Please, others share your remembrances of Jesse and your love for his songs. He was taken from us far too soon.

thanks,
scott
Old 06-05-2017, 04:33 PM
Charter Member

Evidently he was living and died here in Charlottesville...

He settled in Charlottesville with his new wife Cindy in 2002 and re-emerged after a nine-year absence from recording with the 2009 album Love Filling Station.

It was love and family that eventually brought Winchester to Charlottesville. “I came back to the states because I fell in love with Cindy,” he told WNRN in 2006. “Cindy’s daughter shopped around for another place to live, with good schools, good climate, nice people, and eventually settled on Charlottesville. […] and we followed them here.” While in Charlottesville, Winchester performed at the former Gravity Lounge alongside other well-known artists like Guy Clark. For those who knew him, he was a model citizen and an embodiment of the humanist message that resonates from his lyrics.
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 06-05-2017 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-05-2017, 04:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Evidently he was living and died here in Charlottesville...

He settled in Charlottesville with his new wife Cindy in 2002 and re-emerged after a nine-year absence from recording with the 2009 album Love Filling Station.

It was love and family that eventually brought Winchester to Charlottesville. “I came back to the states because I fell in love with Cindy,” he told WNRN in 2006. “Cindy’s daughter shopped around for another place to live, with good schools, good climate, nice people, and eventually settled on Charlottesville. […] and we followed them here.” While in Charlottesville, Winchester performed at the former Gravity Lounge alongside other well-known artists like Guy Clark. For those who knew him, he was a model citizen and an embodiment of the humanist message that resonates from his lyrics.
RP, thanks for your contribution. I believe that's correct. There are some really sweet photos of him with his grandchildren during Christmas -- I think some of those are up on his site. I'm sure that relocation was to be near his grandchildren and other family. He was a really sweet guy, and I hope his final years were filled with much peace and joy.

Thanks Again,
Scott
Old 06-05-2017, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

I didn't know of him until that Elvis Costello performance. I bought Love's Filling Station that day. There are some song writers that escape me in that I realize, try as I might, I couldn't write a tune close to what they are capable of imagining. For me me those folks are people like Tom Waits, Leonard Cohan, Guy Clark, Elliot Smith others/the usual suspects perhaps. When I heard Jesse play that tune I knew he had it. Humbling and awesome.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:33 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmat View Post
I didn't know of him until that Elvis Costello performance. I bought Love's Filling Station that day. There are some song writers that escape me in that I realize, try as I might, I couldn't write a tune close to what they are capable of imagining. For me me those folks are people like Tom Waits, Leonard Cohan, Guy Clark, Elliot Smith others/the usual suspects perhaps. When I heard Jesse play that tune I knew he had it. Humbling and awesome.
Yes, it's a remarkable performance, and typical Jesse. A quite song that nails the entire audience. This is an artist putting it out there at the top of his form. Thanks jmat. Yes, he was one of a kind. I started playing nylon about twenty years ago, just because of Jesse. Now I find I love it.

For those who haven't seen/heard it....

Old 06-14-2017, 06:06 PM
AGF Sponsor

Just enjoying the comments from other Jesse fans.

sm
Old 06-14-2017, 10:07 PM

Scott, your performance of "The Dutchman" was very nice and I really enjoyed it. I knew of Jessie Winchester and recall what a great songwriter he was. Bravo. Holland.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion