The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-14-2017, 10:04 PM

Default NGD: Bear Creek Weissenborn

Received this today after a long time waiting -- Big thank you to Bill Hardin @ Bear Creek Guitars:

Last edited by H2O; 04-19-2017 at 05:39 PM.
Old 04-17-2017, 01:56 AM

Very nice. I'm not a weissrnborn player really but I do have one which I like to noodle on. I find it very soothing. Enjoy! What tone woods?
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 04-17-2017, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdq View Post
Very nice. I'm not a weissrnborn player really but I do have one which I like to noodle on. I find it very soothing. Enjoy! What tone woods?
I have been getting familiar with it for the past couple days now, it will definitely take practice before I get the muscle memory built up. I am absolutely blown away by the tone and sustain of this guitar though. So much potential!

The top, back and sides are solid koa. It also features rosewood binding, herringbone rosette/backstrip, style 4 abalone fretboard inlay, and waverly tuners. The beauty is really in the attention to detail... it's a work of art.

Last edited by H2O; 04-17-2017 at 07:18 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:04 AM

I updated my first post with a brief sound demo (phone recording). By no means am I an expert on the instrument at this point, but I think it is a decent representation of the sound.
Old 04-22-2017, 01:46 PM

Congrats.

I looked at Bear Creek a few years back but couldn't afford one. Luckily I found the used Iseman at the AGF classifieds. Love the sound. Next I am looking for a pickup: K&K, PUTW, Baggs Anthem, or the Seymour Duncan MagMike.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Sarad View Post
Congrats.

I looked at Bear Creek a few years back but couldn't afford one. Luckily I found the used Iseman at the AGF classifieds. Love the sound. Next I am looking for a pickup: K&K, PUTW, Baggs Anthem, or the Seymour Duncan MagMike.
I haven't seen one in person, but the Isemans definitely look like nice instruments. How do you like yours?

I was considering a Seymour Duncan woody as an affordable pickup when I get to that point. The fact that it is a cheap, non-permanent installation appeals to me. On my current gigging guitar I use an LR Baggs M80. While quite a bit pricier than the woody, it is an excellent pickup. If I had the funds, I wouldn't hesitate to snag another one of those. I'll be curious to know what direction you decide to go with your pickup.
Old 04-24-2017, 02:04 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2O View Post
I was considering a Seymour Duncan woody as an affordable pickup when I get to that point. The fact that it is a cheap, non-permanent installation appeals to me. On my current gigging guitar I use an LR Baggs M80. While quite a bit pricier than the woody, it is an excellent pickup. If I had the funds, I wouldn't hesitate to snag another one of those. I'll be curious to know what direction you decide to go with your pickup.
I have two Pogrebas and a short scale Lazy River. SD Mag Mic in my open D Pogreba and Baggs M1A in the other two. All sound great. The Mag Mic might beat the other 'by a nose.' I had the builders drill for a endpin jack, but really, that is not very difficult. I picked up all my PU's second hand. Saved $ and they work great. Unlike a lot of acoustic instruments, the weissenborn just comes alive with a sound hole PU. A little delay and reverb and you will have them hanging on every tremulous note and vibrato flourish
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 04-26-2017, 09:43 AM

The Iseman is the only Weissenborn style instrument I have ever played. Balanced nicely from first to fifth string. The low string sounds a bit cardboardy.
I think it needs a fatter string.

Otherwise, it is a wonderful instrument that I paid $1800 for, about half of a new one.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments