The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-27-2012, 05:24 PM

Default My new 2012 D18

Decided I wanted a new acoustic to go with the GPCPA1 custom shop that I bought a few months ago. Thought I wanted a D28 or an HD28 until I played the new D18. I think that Martin got this one right. Just got it today but so far, couldn't be happier. Here are some pictures and also one beside the GPCPA1 Custom Shop.

I like a lot of things about the D18 but one thing that I REALLY like is that the neck is the same or very close to my GPCPA1.

Old 12-27-2012, 05:42 PM

Tell me that's not a doily covering the piano bench.

Nice D-18!
Old 12-27-2012, 05:55 PM

A Doily? OF COURSE NOT...that's a ... well it's a ....

hmmmmmmmmm

OK...SO IT'S A DOILY. As long as my wonderful wife lets me buy guitars, I guess I can let her have a doily.
Old 12-27-2012, 06:00 PM

DK - Congrats! I'm hoping that I'll end up with a 2012 D-18 sometime in 2013. Unplugged, do you prefer the tone of the D-18 or the GPCPA1?
Old 12-27-2012, 06:12 PM

I'll get back to you on that in a day or two. To be honest, I've been so excited about the new D18 that I haven't really done a good comparison yet. My initial feeling is that the D18 sounds better unplugged but I need to play them more side by side. I should point out also that my GPCPA1 is not a standard model. It is a custom shop with forward shifted GE bracing, Adirondack top, dovetail neck joint, bone nut and saddle and a few cosmetic differences so my comparison will not be between the D18 and a standard GPCPA1.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknelson View Post
I'll get back to you on that in a day or two. To be honest, I've been so excited about the new D18 that I haven't really done a good comparison yet. My initial feeling is that the D18 sounds better unplugged but I need to play them more side by side. I should point out also that my GPCPA1 is not a standard model. It is a custom shop with forward shifted GE bracing, Adirondack top, dovetail neck joint, bone nut and saddle and a few cosmetic differences so my comparison will not be between the D18 and a standard GPCPA1.
That is interesting that it has GE bracing. From that I would deduce that hybrid bracing is not necessarily necessary to get the best sound through the F1 Aura. Which is a shame given that I would much prefer forward shifted bracing on my GPCPA3 than the boxed in hybrid bracing unplugged sound I currently get.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:59 PM
Charter Member

Congrats. It's going to be a classic.

Optima dies, prima fugit
For Sale: Larrivee P 01Khttps://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...49#post7433849
Old 12-27-2012, 09:37 PM
Charter Member

Hi DK,

Wow, great pair of Martins! Congratulations! And thanks for the great photos!

- Glenn
Old 12-27-2012, 09:39 PM

Congratulations. One year ago Saturday I bought one of the last D-18 V's, which I think is basically the same guitar except for the V neck. I would trade you my neck for yours in a heartbeat, but the guitar sounds great.

Bourgeois, Collings, Eastman, Gibson, Martin
Old 12-27-2012, 09:50 PM

The 1 3/4 inch nut and PA neck profile was what most attracted me to the D-18 ... plus, I absolutely love all the retro touches like the open back tuners and aging toner, and the "tortoise" pick guard and binding.

Hear my original music at: https://www.reverbnation.com/judsonhair
Old 12-27-2012, 10:39 PM

Excellent pair of Martins. And a very nice piano.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:58 PM

Really fine looking D18. I got mine last April and it has opened up from lots of playing. They sound great out of the box but in a few months you will love it even more..enjoy the D18 and nice looking custom to...cibby
Old 12-28-2012, 12:04 AM

Default I think it is admirable that a man be confident

Quote:
Originally Posted by dknelson View Post
A Doily? OF COURSE NOT...that's a ... well it's a ....

hmmmmmmmmm

OK...SO IT'S A DOILY. As long as my wonderful wife lets me buy guitars, I guess I can let her have a doily.
enough in his masculinity to sport a doily.

Bravo!
Old 12-28-2012, 12:34 AM

Nice guitar dk - well done and congratulations.
I reckon every guitarist should have at least one Martin and for me there are only two of which the 2012 D-18 is one. I hope to get mine this year.... sigh
2018 Larrivee 00-40 Custom
2017 Thompson HardRed Dread
2013 Jacobs SJ Sitka/Pao Rosa
2013 Eastman E20OM
2002 Takamine EAN60C
1997 Seagull Grand
Old 12-28-2012, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor 714 View Post
That is interesting that it has GE bracing. From that I would deduce that hybrid bracing is not necessarily necessary to get the best sound through the F1 Aura. Which is a shame given that I would much prefer forward shifted bracing on my GPCPA3 than the boxed in hybrid bracing unplugged sound I currently get.
It makes a huge difference. When I bought it, it was from a brick and mortar store that orders several customs every year. I went looking for a DCPA1 and he just opened several boxes and left me alone to play them. I really liked the DCPA1 and the GCPA1. When I took the custom out of the case, I didn't even initially know that it was a custom except that the ADI top did look a bit different than the Sitka on the standard models. As soon as I started playing it though, I knew that there was something major different about it. I also knew that it was the guitar I was going to leave with. I then talked to the owner and looked at the custom shop build sheet and knew why is sounded so much better.

Now back to the D18. I have to say that I am so very impressed with the way that it sounds out of the box and I know it will just get better. I was pleasantly surprised with the action. It is perfect for me. I was worried that it would be a little high as Martin's often are and I would immediately have to take it in for a setup. This one needs absolutely nothing. Maybe I just got lucky or maybe Martin is going a little lower on the actions on these performer series necks. The GPCPA1 was perfect also but I chalked that up to some extra attention in the custom shop.

Anyway, I think I have two keepers now. The worse part is having to put them in the cases. I would love to be able to keep them displayed.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion