The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-19-2009, 05:02 PM

Default Guitar home security

I've been sick lately reading about valuable guitars being stolen from some of the members on the forum. So I began to think about how secure my guitars are, and the answer I came up with was "not really".
We can put guns and jewelry in a safe, but is there a way to "lock up" or secure guitars in your home? Surely somebody has thought of a better way than just having them in a case in the closet?

Any thoughts? Any good products out there that we ought to know about?

Having them listed on your insurance policy is certainly a good idea, but it's a little after the fact, don't you think?

Any help?
Old 03-19-2009, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amistad View Post
I've been sick lately reading about valuable guitars being stolen from some of the members on the forum. So I began to think about how secure my guitars are, and the answer I came up with was "not really".
We can put guns and jewelry in a safe, but is there a way to "lock up" or secure guitars in your home? Surely somebody has thought of a better way than just having them in a case in the closet?

Any thoughts? Any good products out there that we ought to know about?

Having them listed on your insurance policy is certainly a good idea, but it's a little after the fact, don't you think?

Any help?
Store them in the bomb shelter? Or vault? Hehehe... other than locking them up perhaps in a tall lockable cabinet, perhaps an alarm system in your house would be effective? Obviously, if a thief wants it, he'll get it. I think there's a lot of common sense here as well: do you leave your guitars in plain sight or is it easy for people to find out or know that you do have expensive guitars?
I guess making it not obvious is one key preventative.
Enya X4 Pro
Boroughs B30ACESB
Takamine EG330C
Old 03-19-2009, 05:18 PM

I've had the same fears. I bought a security camera that can be monitored from any computer with an internet connection. I can check on my babies from work throughout the day. It also has a motion detector that can send an email alert along with a snapshot. All the camera needs is a router to plug into. It's not so much the camera itself that I like, but I do like the free viewnetcam.com service that comes with it.

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-BB-H.../dp/B00099G100

Also, make sure you have photos of all your guitars, especially close-ups of the labels with the serial #s.

I'm not aware of any ways to physically secure your guitars other than a large walk-in safe.
Taylor GA3

Last edited by deltoid; 03-19-2009 at 08:02 PM.
Old 03-19-2009, 05:30 PM

Try this: kinda like Lo-Jack for guitars..

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Accessories/Security.html

http://www.youtube.com/ayavner

2006 Martin OMC Aura (Laurelin)
1998 Martin HD-28 (Telperion)
Epiphone WildKat w p90s and Bigsby!
1997 Rickenbacker 360/12V64

Dearly Departed:
1981 Yamaha FG 335
Alvarez AJ60SC12
Regal RD35 Roundneck dobro
Old 03-19-2009, 05:59 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Come near my place uninvited and I will have your face and licence plate and likely your blood type published on the net before you get home.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:10 PM

A dog - ya can't reason with them and you can't outrun them. Best security system in the world next to the unmistakable sound of a shotgun shell being pumped into the chamber.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:15 PM

Is this a trick question?

Home security system w/monitoring. No brainer. Not only protects all your valuables beyond the guitars, but also protects you and loved ones. The sign on your lawn, itself, will ward away the would-be opportunistic thief. But there is no substitute for common sense home security (high-quality locks, solid doors, lights, using your brain) and a good security system. Video surveillance is the next rung up ...if you feel you need that level of protection. Yeah, and a dog is always nice, but that does present other issues

Edward
Old 03-19-2009, 06:40 PM

I got three labs that sleep close to my guitars so any intruder have some good weapons.
Old 03-19-2009, 06:44 PM

A Rhodesian Ridgeback has no fear, literally. He will protect you and yours at all cost.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:13 PM

I have 2 very well mannered pit bulls who spend a lot of the time in the house.
When the UPS man comes to the door my wife opens it slightly and the biggest dog stands right by her looking up as if to say "Did you bring something nice?"

I don't worry too much as long as I don't take the guitars out of the house.

RW
Old 03-19-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Best security system in the world next to the unmistakable sound of a shotgun shell being pumped into the chamber
Priceless........

Petros, Paragon, National, Martin, Rainsong, and Santa Cruz
Old 03-20-2009, 05:19 AM

I am waiting for someone to post a picture of a big gun.
Pedals: Swart Fuzzy & Atomic Boost, Mad Professor DBD, Boss RC-3
Old 03-20-2009, 07:25 AM

Might want to consider guitar insurance. I would think it covers theft as well .

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad
Old 03-20-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edward993 View Post
Is this a trick question?

Home security system w/monitoring. No brainer. Not only protects all your valuables beyond the guitars, but also protects you and loved ones. The sign on your lawn, itself, will ward away the would-be opportunistic thief. But there is no substitute for common sense home security (high-quality locks, solid doors, lights, using your brain) and a good security system. Video surveillance is the next rung up ...if you feel you need that level of protection. Yeah, and a dog is always nice, but that does present other issues

Edward

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkydude50 View Post
Might want to consider guitar insurance. I would think it covers theft as well .

Since I just had all my guitars plus other stuff including my computer and digital camera stolen I can add to this some other helpful info that my insurance guy has been so polite to inform me of.

Make sure you have absolute proof of ownership of your stuff,including receipts, pictures and good descriptions. Keep one copy of this info for yourself and give your insurer a copy as well. If you make changes,buy,sell,trade make sure you report it ASAP.

Some of my things(guitars) I had no proof I owned other than word of mouth from myself and even one of the people I bought a used guitar from, but guess what, I want get any money from my insurance to cover it, no absolute proof of ownership.

No matter how secure we think our homes are there not, so take my advise and document everything.

Just my 2 cents worth....

--------------------------------------------------
Music is Medicine for the Soul !!
Old 03-20-2009, 08:39 AM

Location: Boney Mountain, just up Sycamore Canyon From Malibu

About a year ago my home was broken into in broad daylight by some pros. Just knocked on the door, and once they figured there was no-one going to answer they jimmied a rear living-room window and climbed in (over the piano...). Fortunately the thief went straight upstairs for the master and jewelery / cash. The weird thing is that had eveidenty watched myself and then my wife leave (for brief errands, as it turned out) in our separate cars minutes before hand.

We NEVER leave without arming the alarm - except for this one-time. Usually the dog is left home - except for this one time....

I returned within 15 minutes and evidently interrupted the burglar within a minute or two of his having broken in. As I opened the garage door, my wife pulled up with our kids after picking them up at school, so instead of going into the house immediately I turned around and went back to greet them. As a result the thief was exiting through the back door just prior to me entering the house through the garage! We did not even figure out that we had been hit until we discovered muddy footprints in the living room and going up the stairs to our master about 20 minutes later! Then we called the cops. Nothing missing that we could figure out, luckily. But my guitars are in the open, and had this burglar been interested, they'd be gone!

Later the thieves (he had two accomplices waiting in the car) were caught by a homeowner that did not answer the door, but called 911 when she heard the attempted break-in.

My point is that the thieves routinely would knock on the door offering some service. If no one answered they'd look for a dog or an alarm keypad with with a red light on. If they figured it was clear - they'd break-in. So I'd recommend getting an alarm and a dog. Then use both.
Baranik CX Mad Rose/Western Red Cedar

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion