The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-07-2014, 11:42 AM

Default Best Fender model (electric) for a newbie?

I know this ia an "acoustic' forum, but I figure you folks know. I'm looking to pick up a fairly cheap used electric guitar for a pure newbie (small hands). I see a lot of Fenders advertised. Can someone please give me a quick rundown on all their different guitars - squire, strat, tele, etc . etc. - AND which model would be best for the above? (or recommend other guitar brand/models that might also fit the bill)? Thanks!
Old 04-07-2014, 11:45 AM

The big ones are the telecaster and the stratocaster. And then they have Mexican made and American made. So a Mexican made strat or tele is around $400-ish new. You can pick up used ones for less than that. They are good beginner electrics...just pick your favorite shape .

Check out The Gear Page (www.thegearpage.net)...they have a huge classified section for electric guitars.

Good Luck!!
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 04-07-2014, 11:51 AM

do you mean "big" in terms of size? or popularity? and what's the basic difference in a tele and a strat?
Old 04-07-2014, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jargey3000 View Post
do you mean "big" in terms of size? or popularity? and what's the basic difference in a tele and a strat?
Popularity. The 2 guitars differ in shape obviously. Typically the strat has a tremolo and 3 pickups. The tele typcially has a fixed bridge and 2 pickups. The strat is probably a little lighter typically than a tele. The strat body has more contours so it's probably a little more comfortable to hold.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:01 PM

Thanks. someone in my area is selling a Fender Squire Strat & amp , asking $100.
What does "squire" mean? good deal? I'm guessing it's the "Fender Squire Bullet Stratocaster" sold at Best Buy?
Old 04-07-2014, 12:11 PM

Realize that this is all opinion.....If you want a nice fender to begin with, you have been given good advice. I would look on craigslist and buy either a used Mexican Telecaster or Strat. I would avoid a squire due to its cheap construction and pay more for the used Mexican. I've seen them locally on craigslist for about $250. If you have a knowledgeable guitar playing friend, have him give the used guitar a look with you.

Some people buy the Mexican versions of Fenders and jazz them up with new parts when they want to upgrade instead of shelling out the dough for an American.

Go play around with both the tele and strat to see which one you like more. As you get more experienced and learn to hear and feel what makes up a good instrument, you can decide upon upgrading parts or buying something else.

If you stick with it, you will almost certainly want something else at some point. Either of the above mentioned would be awesome to start with. However, if you absolutely cannot afford that price tag, grab whatever you can find and start making some music.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:14 PM

Squire is Fender's cheap model. Construction and materials are of lowest quality compared with Fender's other models. When you are more experienced, you can really tell the difference by the feel, sound, and appearance (I've never really paid attention to how they smell or taste).

if a squire is the only thing that fits your budget, then buy it. $100 for the guitar and amp seems like a solid deal for that part of the market. However, understand that you are buying at the bottom of the barrel. If you can afford the upgrade to Mexican, do it. If not, no big deal. My first guitar was a huge piece of junk and I didn't know it til much later.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:21 PM

Regardless of which guitar you get, I highly highly recommend you get a good setup for the guitar. Any piece of crap guitar can feel decent if its set up properly. I was put off from learning to play for more than a decade with a decent guitar in the house because the action was so high. Once I realized that you can change how high or low you want the strings, I immediately fell in love with guitar and began playing it seriously. If you pick up a cheapie fender in a big box retailer, most will give a decent setup for your guitar with your initial purchase.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:01 PM

Yeah Squire is junk...skip it
Old 04-07-2014, 01:02 PM

My CV50's is far from being junk.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanto View Post
My CV50's is far from being junk.
exactly. the squire cv50s should be your very first thing to look at. Any guitar center should have them. Also they have thin necks, though i will say, i have pretty small hands and i prefer bigger necks.

but the squier CV50s stratocaster and CV50s Telecasters are just awesome, imo theyre much better than the cheaper fenders.

I prefer telecasters obviously

They are perfectly giggable instruments though. the only reason i dont own one is because the necks are too small
Old 04-07-2014, 01:14 PM

Fender makes other electrics...Mustang etc. Any thoughts on those others for a newb/beginner?
Old 04-07-2014, 01:16 PM

Not all Squiers. The earliest ones were US made, around '81 or '82 I believe. My friend has a black Strat with a Tele headstock, really cool guitar!
Old 04-07-2014, 01:25 PM

Find a good used 50's reissue Telecaster. They are Mexican made but all the parts are American. Electronics, neck, body etc are all American. These are better instruments than the standard Made in Mexico guitars. Also, if you prefer a Stratocaster they make the 50's and a 60's reissue.

Like some have said, I would stay away from the Squire instruments.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:28 PM

Who are Squire? Never heard of them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars