The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonS View Post
Not if you are having fun
Good point Ron.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 12-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
You did say in another thread that high tension nylons might work, but I put Martin Marquis strings on my folk and I like them alot. I'm going to play the nylons again and make a decision.
Hey Barry...
I remember the thread, but think someone else recommended the high-tension strings. I told you then (as now) if you are determined to try, then try them.

And I was just joshing you about asking our opinions, and you know as well as I do that our opinions are worth what you paid for them.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 12-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Placida View Post
If you simply want a take-anywhere, easy to play around with guitar that nylon string-type tone will bring, then snap it up. I recently bought a martin Classical nylon string Backpacker for $100 on ebay just for that purpose. And I am happy as a guy who bought a $100 guitar can be.

I say spend the C-note and enjoy.
Yep, there's something about the nylon sound that is attractive at any price point (well almost any ).

My SoundCloud page

Old 12-26-2008, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

And I was just joshing you about asking our opinions, and you know as well as I do that our opinions are worth what you paid for them.
I know that, Larry Your opinions are highly valued by me even though they are free!

My SoundCloud page

Old 12-26-2008, 11:52 AM

If it sounds good to you then buy it. But just like a $100 steel string guitar, it will have its limitations and virtually non-existant resale value.

BTW, classical guitars run the whole gamut of prices just like steel strings. Some are upwards of $10k. For some eye candy, check out www.guitarsalon.com

Vincent

[QUOTE=TBman;1693192]However, one thing I did notice is that the classical prices range from $99 to $1,000 and steel string guitars range from $100 to $4,000 and up.

I was/am tempted to get the classical I played that sounded good for the $100, but for $10 I can put nylons on my Seagull.

QUOTE]
Old 12-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Charter Member

I got the go ahead from SWMBO (**) to spend my gift money on what ever I want even though it is ANOTHER guitar, LOL. So it looks like I'll be modifying my signature this weekend if the one I liked is still there.

(** She Who Must Be Obeyed, LOL)

My SoundCloud page

Old 12-26-2008, 12:36 PM

Location: Survive in Winnipeg, Manitoba - just North of Fargo, N.D.

The school division I work for uses Yamaha CG-40's in our schools. I picked one up at the end of last season for 1/4 the price of a new one. It is in perfect condition, very easy to play, and very mellow. I was in one of our K-6 schools last week and they had about 100 brand new CG-40s in their music room, all in HS cases. They looked like they haven't been used yet. What a beautiful sight

Rob
Canada

Brackett Sitka/Walnut Dreads 'Carol Ann' and '26' plus other stringed stuff ...
Old 12-26-2008, 01:32 PM

My experience with classicals is that until you spend alot of money (thousands)there's not a whole lot of difference in sound quality between a 100 dollar guitar and a 900 dollar guitar. There will be a difference, though, between the set up and ease of action. At 100 dollars can you find something comfortable to play that will stay in tune? I doubt it.

You've just got to spend a bit more. But here's something I discovered while searching for a classical for my son a few years ago.

We were in NYC and went to I don't dont know how many music stores. We played probably 3-400 guitars.

Somewhere about halfway through that number I picked up a flamenco and it sounded better than anything else we had played that day although it was about the same price range as the classicals we'd been playing.

The next store we had the same experience. Not all the flamencos sounded better than the classicals but most of them did and they were no more expensive.

If I'm looking for a nylon string guitar I will ALWAYS focus on flamencos from now on. I don't know why the significant difference but it was unarguable.

Jim McCarthy
Old 12-26-2008, 01:46 PM

Location: Survive in Winnipeg, Manitoba - just North of Fargo, N.D.

Jim ... Try a Yamaha CG-171SF - great sound for reasonable money.

Rob
Canada

Brackett Sitka/Walnut Dreads 'Carol Ann' and '26' plus other stringed stuff ...
Old 12-26-2008, 03:08 PM

hi barry
i sow you have larrivee, taylor, guild guitars
with that 100 d guitar you are going to be frustrate!!
it is like when a classical what to try a steel, so gets a cheap drad, hard to
play and then keeps a wrong idea of steel guitars,,
i play both nylon and steel, to enjoy them you have to own decent instruments, for an idea, the tuners(gilbert) of my classical coasted 350 dollars!!
Old 12-26-2008, 03:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabalan View Post
hi barry
i sow you have larrivee, taylor, guild guitars
with that 100 d guitar you are going to be frustrate!!
it is like when a classical what to try a steel, so gets a cheap drad, hard to
play and then keeps a wrong idea of steel guitars,,
i play both nylon and steel, to enjoy them you have to own decent instruments, for an idea, the tuners(gilbert) of my classical coasted 350 dollars!!

Got ya. But I'm going to go back and play it again anyway just to see.

My SoundCloud page

Old 12-26-2008, 04:56 PM

Hey Barry,

I'll echo the "if it meets your needs and you're happy, go ahead and buy it" sentiments above.

That said, and with the usual "with all due respect" disclaimers applied, if the classical guitars at my local GC are any measure, they don't carry a one at any price point worth having. Even their top-end guitars sound thin and reedy.

Before you drop the C note, do yourself a favor and find a local dealer with a Spanish-made classical or two in stock. Look for an Almansa, Alhambra, or Raimundo for example. These are truly beautiful instruments that are simply head and shoulders beyond the nylon stuff at GC.

In my experience, quality classical guitars start in the mid-to-high-three figure range and up, new. There is a considerable difference again when you break into the well-into-four-figure range.

Also, the combined string tension on a classical is *half* that of a steel-string. We're talking ~75-90 lbs of force vs. ~150-200. The internal bracing is therefore quite different, and the required tension needed to generate sound proportionately different as well. I don't know of "high-tension" nylons that get anywhere near the required force levels to drive a steel-string.

Good luck and have fun.

-brian
Old 12-26-2008, 10:57 PM

I got my first cheapi Alvarez, $150.00 new. I would check out ebay for a Yari, or a classical forum, for a good used one. There are good low end deals, Yamaha and Yari are a good buy.
Old 12-26-2008, 10:59 PM

If it's playable and doesn't sound too bad, go for it! Pretty cheap admission to the nylon guitar world.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:51 AM

Location: Though a bred, born, and imprinted Texan, I live in the sw corner of Southern Mississippi.

I have had four $100 classical guitars...actually, they were a little less. I bought them from various places over the years in Mexico and my favorite has the carpenter's name written in pencil inside the guitar. It has his name and street address...no town. I guess he figured he would never sell one to someone from out of town...or out of village, in this case. I also had to dump out wood shavings that had gathered inside it. (My kind of guitar!)

This one sounds better than I can play. I had a professional classical player play it and it didn't sound like his Ruck, but then, it sounded a whole lot better than I will ever make it sound.

The point is...these guitars are not hurting my playing nor are they slowing my musical growth. <g>

I got a Yamaha for my g'son and I like my Mexican guitars better.

Ken C.
Gibson J-45 Rosewood
Gibson J-50 Mahogany
G-40 Maccaferri arch top (3 ea.)
Kay Catalina arch top w/DeArmond floating p.u.
Harmony arch top
Silvertone (Kay) flat top
Framus 12-string
Harmony tenor arch top
Gakki Yamaha FG-140
DeArmond arch top
And 14 misc.ukes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion