The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 07-26-2016, 03:23 PM

Smile First ever Applegate Build Thread - 12 fret 00 Cedar/BRW

Many of you are already familiar with Brian Applegate, the story of his apprenticeship under and friendship with Jim Olson, and the great guitars he's building up in Minnesota.

Some time ago, I had the opportunity to buy a spec guitar that Brian built to showcase at Healdsburg (Port Orford Cedar and Ziricote). My fabulous experience with that guitar, coupled with the universal praise from everyone who had ever owned or played one of his instruments, led me to commission the build referenced in this thread.

The guitar will be Brian's "FS" model, which is basically his SJ model with about .5" less at the upper and lower bouts and the waist. The length and depth are essentially the same as an SJ.

I've really enjoyed the opportunity to get to know Brian and his guitars a bit, and would like to use this opportunity to showcase his talents to the wider audience here on AGF.

"Pictures or it didn't happen..." continuing in subsequent posts.

Last edited by bobernet; 07-26-2016 at 03:43 PM.
Old 07-26-2016, 03:33 PM

A few days ago, Brian sent me the very first pics of our build with the comment, "and so it begins." And so it has...

Western Red Cedar top. Given the caliber of this build and the other materials, Brian has assured me that he selected the best top he could get his hands on.

When Brian and I began selecting the materials for the build, I let him know that I wasn't concerned with figuring, didn't want sapwood, boring was fine, but I wanted the best fully quartered, straight grain Brazilian that he had for the back and sides. Once we agreed on a selection, I asked Brian where he found this particular set. I knew that he had recently been on a trip to Brazil hunting wood with Jim (Olson), and wondered if he had found this on that trip. Brian let me know that this was a set he had bought from Jim shortly before they went on their trip. Jim was expecting to buy a bunch of wood in Brazil and so felt comfortable selling some of his current stock to Brian.

A couple weeks later I was on the phone with Brian and he shared a short story with me. Apparently, Jim had come to Brian's shop to meet him for lunch, and saw this set of BRW sitting out. "Wow, that's a really nice set of Brazilian!" Jim said. "Where'd you get that?" Brian replied, "I bought that from you, Jim." Jim, grumbling, "I never should have sold that to you."

We both got a chuckle out of that.

This build will have a soundport, which you see here. It's already bound with Koa, prior to bending.

More details as the build progresses. Thanks for reading!
Old 07-26-2016, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Some beautiful sets of wood.... Thanks for sharing your build with the forum.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:46 PM

Agreed, that is one amazing set of Brazilian, and as rare as it is it's even rarer to see a set that big with such amazingly straight quartered grain! Congrats and good luck!
Old 07-28-2016, 12:06 PM

Thanks for the kind comments on the wood!

Today is for side bending...

Last edited by bobernet; 10-04-2016 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-28-2016, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Brian brought a couple of his instruments to one of our AGF Get-Togethers a number of years ago. They were really, really nice. I believe one of them was an FS, or 00, with fiddle back mahogany and a spruce top.

Yours is looking great so far!

2012 Carruth 12-fret 000 in Pernambuco and Adi
2010 Poling Sierra in Cuban Mahogany and Lutz
2015 Posch 13-fret 00 in Indian Rosewood and Adi
Old 07-29-2016, 04:49 AM
Lovin' nice guitars...

I've always been interested in Brian's work. Great guitars.

Thank you for sharing!

Woody (aka: Mike)

FOR SALE: Kinnaird Brazilian!!
Old 07-29-2016, 06:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

It has been a while since I talked with Brian, but he is a great guy and a really innovative builder. He has a huge range of talent. I am a total fan of his work and look forward to following this thread.
Old 07-29-2016, 02:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Hi Brian,

I have only done a sideport cutout after the side is bent and I believe most others do it that way.

What type of glue are you using?
Thanks,
Brad
Old 07-29-2016, 07:00 PM
Charter Member

Smile Ooohhhh....

Yummy

This will be a fun thread! I really like Brian Applegate's beautiful esthetic. I have admired every Applegate I have seen on the AGF!

Looking forward to more!!!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 07-29-2016, 07:29 PM
Charter Member

Applegate = Awesome
Old 08-04-2016, 08:24 AM

I use cyanoacrylate before and after the bend. I think it's important to clamp a fitted block at the soundport to make sure nothing funky happens.
Old 08-04-2016, 08:58 AM

Interesting, I've never done a sound port before but I would think it easier to do after bending. That's gonna be one spectacular guitar the BRW is perfect.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
A few days ago, Brian sent me the very first pics of our build with the comment, "and so it begins." And so it has...

Western Red Cedar top. Given the caliber of this build and the other materials, Brian has assured me that he selected the best top he could get his hands on.

When Brian and I began selecting the materials for the build, I let him know that I wasn't concerned with figuring, didn't want sapwood, boring was fine, but I wanted the best fully quartered, straight grain Brazilian that he had for the back and sides. Once we agreed on a selection, I asked Brian where he found this particular set. I knew that he had recently been on a trip to Brazil hunting wood with Jim (Olson), and wondered if he had found this on that trip. Brian let me know that this was a set he had bought from Jim shortly before they went on their trip. Jim was expecting to buy a bunch of wood in Brazil and so felt comfortable selling some of his current stock to Brian.

A couple weeks later I was on the phone with Brian and he shared a short story with me. Apparently, Jim had come to Brian's shop to meet him for lunch, and saw this set of BRW sitting out. "Wow, that's a really nice set of Brazilian!" Jim said. "Where'd you get that?" Brian replied, "I bought that from you, Jim." Jim, grumbling, "I never should have sold that to you."

We both got a chuckle out of that.

This build will have a soundport, which you see here. It's already bound with Koa, prior to bending.

More details as the build progresses. Thanks for reading!
Please can you explain to me what a sound port is needed as well as a sound hole please
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobernet View Post
Many of you are already familiar with Brian Applegate, the story of his apprenticeship under and friendship with Jim Olson, and the great guitars he's building up in Minnesota.

Some time ago, I had the opportunity to buy a spec guitar that Brian built to showcase at Healdsburg (Port Orford Cedar and Ziricote). My fabulous experience with that guitar, coupled with the universal praise from everyone who had ever owned or played one of his instruments, led me to commission the build referenced in this thread.

The guitar will be Brian's "FS" model, which is basically his SJ model with about .5" less at the upper and lower bouts and the waist. The length and depth are essentially the same as an SJ.

I've really enjoyed the opportunity to get to know Brian and his guitars a bit, and would like to use this opportunity to showcase his talents to the wider audience here on AGF.

"Pictures or it didn't happen..." continuing in subsequent posts.

Sent from my XT1021 using Tapatalk
Old 08-05-2016, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christoph.penny View Post
Please can you explain to me what a sound port is needed as well as a sound hole please
A sound port is not needed, per se, but it allows the player to better hear the guitar as some of the sound is projected towards his/her head.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop