The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-27-2016, 05:45 AM

Default has anyone tried the Barbera saddle transducer?

I have been researching nylon string archtops for a build that I am designing, and came across a reference that Benedetto uses the Barbera saddle transducer pickup in his nylon string archtops (at least one, I have no idea how many they have made). They raved about the sound, which I imagine they would do regardless. I wondered if anyone else has used this system. It has six individual transducers and replaces the saddle completely.

Here is their web site. http://www.barberatransducers.com/index.html
Old 06-27-2016, 05:51 AM

oops, found this; http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=327047

Sounds pretty good!
Old 06-27-2016, 07:06 AM

There have been other threads as well.....some to which I have posted my own opinions.

In a nutshell, I really like the Barbera. I have tried a number of under-saddle transducers, finding nylon-string guitars particularly challenging to amplify, and the Barbera is by far my favorite.
Old 06-27-2016, 02:07 PM

They sound great! I have played guitars by Buscarino and Kirk Sand that have them built in and was very impressed with the natural tone. I liked it so much I have a nylon string guitar on order that is being built with the Barbera installed.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:44 PM

I installed one in my Taylor T5. It's a really good sounding pickup with a very strong output for a passive design. No quack. You can't really do percussive techniques with it like a typical UST or SBT because it is not microphonic.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification