The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-24-2016, 02:07 PM

Default Taylor GS Mini: ES-T vs ES-2

The older "e" versions of the GS Mini included an onboard ES-T, single sensor pickup. The newer ones now have the full ES-2 with two sensors. Has anyone played both versions plugged in? If not, how about any Taylors with those pickups. How much better (if at all) is the ES-2 or the T? Thanks!
1999 CFox 'Frisco' concert w/ Trance Amulet MV
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e RW
2020 Goodall KCJ
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 06-24-2016, 02:58 PM

I'm have to say I find the ES-T easier to EQ. I has a GS Mini with the ES-t and with a bit of EQ I could get a reasonable live sound. There are much better USTs out there. I play exclusively with a plectrum...

I've now got a Big Baby with the ES2 pickups and with my style of play it sounds very harsh and I struggle to get a nice sound unless I change my style and play with flesh. Taylor suggested adjusting the hex screws it was no different. I've ended up using a soundhole pickup to resolve the problem.

That said I personally would buy a standard GS Mini and put a pickup in of my choice as there are so many better options than Taylors standard offerings.

Gibson Songwriter Standard EC
Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 06-24-2016, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick84 View Post
I'm have to say I find the ES-T easier to EQ. I has a GS Mini with the ES-t and with a bit of EQ I could get a reasonable live sound. There are much better USTs out there. I play exclusively with a plectrum...

I've now got a Big Baby with the ES2 pickups and with my style of play it sounds very harsh and I struggle to get a nice sound unless I change my style and play with flesh. Taylor suggested adjusting the hex screws it was no different. I've ended up using a soundhole pickup to resolve the problem.

That said I personally would buy a standard GS Mini and put a pickup in of my choice as there are so many better options than Taylors standard offerings.
Thanks for your input. A non-electric Taylor + K&K Pure Mini has been a consideration; I'll give more weight to that idea.
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e RW
2020 Goodall KCJ
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 06-24-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGinMP View Post
Thanks for your input. A non-electric Taylor + K&K Pure Mini has been a consideration; I'll give more weight to that idea.
By all means go and try them. Everyone is different, you may like one. A lot of people really like the ES2. I like the concept it just doesn't fit my style.

I'd definitely try before you buy though if your planning to plug it in a lot. Acoustically though Taylor seems to be really consistent.

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 06-24-2016, 04:10 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
The older "e" versions of the GS Mini included an onboard ES-T, single sensor pickup. The newer ones now have the full ES-2 with two sensors. Has anyone played both versions plugged in? If not, how about any Taylors with those pickups. How much better (if at all) is the ES-2 or the T? Thanks!
The very newest Taylor GS Mini-e guitars, which just came out earlier this year, have the new ES2 Expression System 2 which has three sensors. This is the GS Mini to buy if you want the best amplified tone!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-24-2016, 04:26 PM
Charter Member

I have one of the newer 3 sensor Expression systems in my Koa Mini and it's one of my favorite guitars plugged in.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 06-24-2016, 04:46 PM
Charter Member

I'll second the above opinion, my Koa Mini with ES2 sounds way better plugged in than my old rosewood ES-T equipped version. The ES-T in both the Mini and a 114 I used to own could sound very harsh, almost brittle without tons of EQ. I can plug the new ES2 Mini straight into the PA, roll off just a bit of bass, and get a terrific sound.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
The very newest Taylor GS Mini-e guitars, which just came out earlier this year, have the new ES2 Expression System 2 which has three sensors. This is the GS Mini to buy if you want the best amplified tone!
Thanks for the correction (3 sensors)! I'm wondering if Nick's preference for his older model is more about the GS Mini sounding better than the Big Baby, rather than the ES-T being better or easier to get a good sound out of than the ES-2.

Definitely need to go hear one plugged into a Loudbox!
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e RW
2020 Goodall KCJ
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 06-25-2016, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the correction (3 sensors)! I'm wondering if Nick's preference for his older model is more about the GS Mini sounding better than the Big Baby, rather than the ES-T being better or easier to get a good sound out of than the ES-2.

Definitely need to go hear one plugged into a Loudbox!
No, my preference is over the pickups. The strings sound very harsh when played with a pick on the ES2 with the way I play. Most people like it however. I think I'm in the minority.

I'm not saying the ES-T is great. Far from it. I would get one without and stick a K&K in

Lowden WL-22
Maton SRS808
Taylor AD11-SB
Taylor 811 GT
Taylor Big Baby Walnut
Old 01-02-2018, 06:17 PM

A few months after I started this thread, I pulled the trigger on a GS Mini-e with Rosewood b&s and the (then new to the model) ES-2. I've been quite happy with the sound plugged in, although it's not in the league of my CFox concert w/ Trance Amulet MV.

I was very surprised to see that just 1 year after upgrading the GS Mini pickups to the same model as their higher-end lines, Taylor now replaced the ES-2 with the ES-B. I believe it has 2 sensors instead of the ES-2's 3, a tone knob instead of discrete treble & bass, and worst of all (IMO) is the return of the barn door on the side of the guitar in order to fit in a built-in tuner. While I'm glad I picked up my ES-2 Mini when I did, I can't help feeling that Taylor's taken a big step backwards here. It does appear that some of the older models are out there still as new, so those on the fence about a Mini should think about whether it's time to grab one.
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e RW
2020 Goodall KCJ
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 01-03-2018, 03:24 AM

Quote:
[...] Taylor now replaced the ES-2 with the ES-B. I believe it has 2 sensors instead of the ES-2's 3
How do you all know since it also has 3 screws?

Did you take a picture inside the guitar?

Cuki
Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 01-03-2018, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
How do you all know since it also has 3 screws?

Did you take a picture inside the guitar?

Cuki
I was going by Taylor's web site description that states, "The ES-B pickup incorporates Taylor’s Expression System® 2 piezo design elements and features an onboard preamp with a built-in digital chromatic tuner."

I had read that to mean there were only 2 sensors. However, clicking on the guide to using the ES-B leads you to a page that reads, "The heart of the ES-B is Taylor’s patented behind-the-saddle pickup, which features three uniquely positioned and individually calibrated piezo sensors." I was thrown off by the ® after "Expression System;" it's the Expression System 2's piezo design elements, of which there are 3 sensors. The only thing the ES-B loses is the separate treble & bass controls. I still prefer the ES-2 because of that, but it's far less of a change than I imagined. Thanks for getting me to re-read their web site!
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e RW
2020 Goodall KCJ
Fishman Loudbox Mini

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification