The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-07-2016, 04:45 PM
AGF Sponsor

Default Paul Simon & the Trance Audio Amulet M

According to Bill Asher, it looks like ol' "Rhymin' Simon is on-board now. He's using the Amulet M, according to a Facebook post by Trance Audio's Gary Hull. Very cool.

Martin Guitar Certified Online Dealer
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast

Last edited by MaurysMusic; 06-07-2016 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:47 PM

And apparently a custom wireless model, too. Probably something people have to consider as well, before buying this system.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:12 PM

I tried to listen to clips of Paul playing over the past month to see how the Trance sounds but the quality of the videos is poor. There are a couple good ones though. The only issue with the Trance that I keep hearing is this weird mid range, almost magnetic quality to the pickup. That's a terrible way to explain it but when I listen to Dazzo or K&K pickups, I hear a woodier, more natural tone. It's the only thing that has kept me from ordering the Amulet M so far.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:34 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOCS View Post
And apparently a custom wireless model, too. Probably something people have to consider as well, before buying this system.
Technically, sure. But it's not like going wireless adds any sonic benefit that cable-using Trance users should need a disclaimer for. If anything, I'd bet good money that wireless will never trump wired when it comes to signal chain fidelity.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 06-07-2016, 06:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
I tried to listen to clips of Paul playing over the past month to see how the Trance sounds but the quality of the videos is poor. There are a couple good ones though. The only issue with the Trance that I keep hearing is this weird mid range, almost magnetic quality to the pickup. That's a terrible way to explain it but when I listen to Dazzo or K&K pickups, I hear a woodier, more natural tone. It's the only thing that has kept me from ordering the Amulet M so far.
I'm not sure what's in there that tells your brain "mag", but if you're not loving what you're hearing, it just might be a pickup that's not for you. I hear more midrange in the Trance than I do in the K&K but nothing non-musical to my ears. I haven't heard enough Dazzo yet to form an opinion but I think I like that system too.
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast
Old 06-07-2016, 07:05 PM

Maury, I have heard some great stories from Teddy about the Trance and Dazzo. In a way, they both had their beginnings from the old FRAP. The two share some similarities in the way they function. Without giving details, there is a reason that the Trance by design will naturally cut through a band mix easier than a Dazzo. The Dazzo, also by design, should sound more woody. It's all about what's inside the little triangle or rectangular prism that makes it that way.

Btw, I have posted a few clips from my iPhone recently of Teddy and his Dazzo equipped 1945 Gibson with everything set flat.

As for the OP, Paul Simon probably made a great choice of pickup for his needs.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 06-07-2016, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
Maury, I have heard some great stories from Teddy about the Trance and Dazzo. In a way, they both had their beginnings from the old FRAP. The two share some similarities in the way they function. Without giving details, there is a reason that the Trance by design will naturally cut through a band mix easier than a Dazzo. The Dazzo, also by design, should sound more woody. It's all about what's inside the little triangle or rectangular prism that makes it that way.

Btw, I have posted a few clips from my iPhone recently of Teddy and his Dazzo equipped 1945 Gibson with everything set flat.

As for the OP, Paul Simon probably made a great choice of pickup for his needs.
Could you post the link to those videos? Thanks!
Old 06-08-2016, 01:27 AM

That's great news. I saw him two years ago in Glasgow and his tone was awful.
Old 06-08-2016, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaurysMusic View Post
Technically, sure. But it's not like going wireless adds any sonic benefit that cable-using Trance users should need a disclaimer for. If anything, I'd bet good money that wireless will never trump wired when it comes to signal chain fidelity.
No doubt, my post was mostly directed towards people who buys the system because they think it fits natively into their wireless setup.

I don't personally play wireless, yet, but should the day come, it would be nice to have support for it.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:08 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what's in there that tells your brain "mag", but if you're not loving what you're hearing, it just might be a pickup that's not for you. I hear more midrange in the Trance than I do in the K&K but nothing non-musical to my ears. I haven't heard enough Dazzo yet to form an opinion but I think I like that system too.
It's definitely a difficult tone to describe. It almost has that UST, rubber band sound to it. The thing is, I hated the Anthem clips online until I tried it. I have tried the Amulet M once in a Gibson guitar and it was very nice. I am just not sure if it was nicer than the K&K, which to me has more of a woody/natural tone.
Old 06-08-2016, 06:19 AM

Would this be the Trace? It's 2016 but he has a cord?
https://youtu.be/T0tmgmBBm4E
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 06-08-2016, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doubleneck View Post
Would this be the Trace? It's 2016 but he has a cord?
https://youtu.be/T0tmgmBBm4E
I don't believe so. That sounds like the Fishman Matrix that Simon has been using for years. Also, according to the Trance Audio Facebook page, it was only within the last month that Simon switched to the Trance Amulet M system.
Old 06-08-2016, 10:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
According to Bill Asher, it looks like ol' "Rhymin' Simon is on-board now. He's using the Amulet M, according to a Facebook post by Trance Audio's Gary Hull. Very cool.

I feel Gary Hull needs to start advertising his Trance Audio Amulet products if they're ever going to gain traction with a large number of players. The pickup of choice amongst AGF'ers seems to be the K&K Pure Mini coupled with a RedEye or K&K preamp and that pretty much adds up to the cost of a Trance Audio Amulet M Dual Mono System. Folks balk at the cost of paying $279 for the basic Trance Amulet M, yet they buy the K&K for $100 and then add an external preamp that costs anywhere from $100 to $1000 to get it to sound good. The other negative leveled at Trance Amulet products is that they have an onboard preamp and people don't seem to want that in their guitars when it's actually beneficial to have it there to maintain signal purity. The Trance systems are pretty much non-invasive whereas the K&K Pure Mini uses transducers slathered-up with superglue. Then there's the great headroom and ultra-low distortion the Trance systems offer. It seems even with Trance usage by several big-name performers, the systems just haven't caught on with the general population of guitarists who seek means of amplification because very few guitarists know Trance products even exist. Trance Amulet systems will never become widely used until Gary Hull leverages the qualities of his systems through advertising.*

P.S. Maybe, Gary Hull doesn't need to advertise because he gets enough orders for Trance products without having to do so? Don't know, maybe.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 06-08-2016, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
Could you post the link to those videos? Thanks!
I think Vancebo is referring to these two videos:

2006 Jubal Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Prairie State Jumbo
2016 New Era Crooked Star Senorita
2020 Iris Smeck
1972 Guild Killdeer F112-6 Part Deux
Old 06-08-2016, 10:51 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubengal View Post
I think Vancebo is referring to these two videos:

That Blackbird Dazzo clip sounds really good!
Martin Blueridge
Martins & More Podcast

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification