The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-22-2015, 10:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidguevara80 View Post
Should I have the same problem with the Lyric system?
Hi David…

The issue is usually the electrical system of the venue, not our gear (though we can at times have issues from gear).

If it's with the venue (rheostats, neons, poorly grounded lines, noisy gear somewhere in the building on the same circuit etc), it won't matter which pickup you use.

If it's your gear, and it's not properly grounded, it will hum no matter what gear you own/use.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 10-22-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi David…

The issue is usually the electrical system of the venue, not our gear (though we can at times have issues from gear).

If it's with the venue (rheostats, neons, poorly grounded lines, noisy gear somewhere in the building on the same circuit etc), it won't matter which pickup you use.

If it's your gear, and it's not properly grounded, it will hum no matter what gear you own/use.

Thanks! the less noisy pickups were undersattle. I will try with the Lyric. If doesnt work (I don't see why not if is a microphone we have other microphones and they don't make noise) i will go back to Undersattle pickup.
Old 10-22-2015, 09:51 PM

Hey David,

You gave a simple signal path at the beginning, but you also said 'all my pedals' and the Voodoo Lab, etc., later. So, even though the Play may be one of the few things in the path...can you post a picture of top & bottom of your pedal board?

Here's why.. I have a Powertrain PT-1 & VoodooLabs ISO5 supply. I had the board setup for acoustic AND electric separately. (i.e. two chains). When I patched into the house PA...there was this ever-so-soft hum. Not noticeable if playing loud, but def there when quiet and it bugged me.

After church, I started looking at the chain...unplugging effects...hum would go away. Thought it was a noisy (poorly grounded) effect. It wasn't. The ISO5 mounted right under the front middle of the aluminum PT-1...on the top side (right above) was my direct box (Whirlwind EB-1). I moved the box...just moved it a couple inches...hum vanished.

The culprit? The ISO5 uses a switching power supply that gives a decently clean supply "to the pedals". But, it is a switching supply and the DI has a transformer in it...the hum was induced!!!

So, peek and move pedals around...and wiring...on the pedalboard after a session sometime. Worth a try. Direct boxes and wah pedals use inductors/transformers which are susceptible to that style of noise. Any effect box that incorporates a transformer-coupled XLR is susceptible, too.

Something else to investigate!

-bradM

bradM - SW Ohio - love to pick!

<{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}>< <{()}><
Old 10-23-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myersbw View Post
Hey David,

You gave a simple signal path at the beginning, but you also said 'all my pedals' and the Voodoo Lab, etc., later. So, even though the Play may be one of the few things in the path...can you post a picture of top & bottom of your pedal board?

Here's why.. I have a Powertrain PT-1 & VoodooLabs ISO5 supply. I had the board setup for acoustic AND electric separately. (i.e. two chains). When I patched into the house PA...there was this ever-so-soft hum. Not noticeable if playing loud, but def there when quiet and it bugged me.

After church, I started looking at the chain...unplugging effects...hum would go away. Thought it was a noisy (poorly grounded) effect. It wasn't. The ISO5 mounted right under the front middle of the aluminum PT-1...on the top side (right above) was my direct box (Whirlwind EB-1). I moved the box...just moved it a couple inches...hum vanished.

The culprit? The ISO5 uses a switching power supply that gives a decently clean supply "to the pedals". But, it is a switching supply and the DI has a transformer in it...the hum was induced!!!

So, peek and move pedals around...and wiring...on the pedalboard after a session sometime. Worth a try. Direct boxes and wah pedals use inductors/transformers which are susceptible to that style of noise. Any effect box that incorporates a transformer-coupled XLR is susceptible, too.

Something else to investigate!

-bradM

Thanks for the advice!

Here are some pictures of my pedalboard

Old 10-23-2015, 09:49 PM

Nice board! The wood offers no shielding separation. Instead of suggesting pedal moves, I'd say unscrew and drop the pedal power down to the floor level for tests. Plug it all up and move the board a few inches either way to see if the hum changes. If so, likely the Pedal power and pedal orientation on the topside are your culprit. If THAT's the case...it's really just moving pedals 'til you find the right location. Let us know if that yields a solution!

Cheers!
Brad

Old 10-26-2015, 01:36 PM

Problem solved!!! LR Baggs Lyric= No noise at all! thanks!
Old 10-30-2015, 04:06 PM

Awesome...looks like the source came at the input!

Old 06-24-2016, 05:56 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi david…
I carry three to two prong electrical adapters in each gear bag (99 cents each). I don't really care what's causing the hum when there are no obvious fixes…I just want the noise gone.

Wanted to say thanks for this post! I was having the same problem and this was the solution. Guess it's good to bump this post as well for anyone else who may be having issues with pedal humming.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:59 AM

Hi David,
I am interested to know why you are not using the Play Acoustic for your guitar effects. Most all the processing you have on your board is in the Play Acoustic. I only ask because I am not liking the Bodyrez and can get better tone from my guitar straight to the mixer. I have k & k mini in a Martin dread.

Also, are you using the guitar to drive the harmonies? If so, how are you routing the signal.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:39 PM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by dberkowitz View Post
The problem is not your guitars or their pickups. The problem lies in dirty power caused by lighting dimmers which is on the same main feed as the rest of the building's power. An isolation transformer on all non-lighting stage power would be helpful.

The first question is what is your sound system? Are you going into a DI>Snake>Console, or are you going into a stage amp? In the case of the DI, most have a ground lift on them. Lift the ground and see whether that helps. If not, you might need to ground lift the console itself. A simple ground lift is one of those grey edison connectors that has a female end for a three pin edison, but has only a two pin male, thus lifting the ground. The downside to this is that if there is another problem with the electrical system causing a ground loop, you can get shocked if you're playing an electric guitar (I had that happen at the campus bar when I was in college -- my lips barely grazed the windscreen and I watched the lights in the bar drop and come back up).

There are inline XLR ground lifts available from audio supply companies, and Amazon,

Inline Isolation transformer.
Yeah, churches are notoriously dirty power places.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification