The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-26-2015, 05:13 AM
Charter Member

Default How to resolve a "Clunky" B string ??

Hi, Last October, I bought a nearly new Santa Crus RS - short scale 21 fret Gibson style from the USA - I'm in the UK.

The guitar was virtually unused when I got it, and has not been adjusted in any way.
The action with Mediums - is .085 bass and .060" on treble with a relief of .005/6" (The guitar simply wold not handle light gauge strings so I now fit it with mediums (EJ17) with a .017 b string).

The B string does not give a clear pure tone, but has a "clunk" which stands our when played open - i.e. in a 1st position E or a simple 1st position G.

This is not repeated when fretting.

So this points toward the nut Yes?

I've had a qualified luthier look at it and he filed the groove a little. Sounded fine ...until I got home.

This week a repairer friend came over with his nut files and did the job again. sounded fine...until he left.

I am reluctant to have anyone replace a brand new nut, (mostly because my genius luthier has now left the area), but also because I feel that a brand new guitar should not normally need a new nut.

I'd be grateful if someone could help me understand why this happens and how it is best rectified. I'll freely admit that the angles and set of strings over nuts are a mystery to me.

Of course I understand that B strings are strange things.

Any help advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-26-2015, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Of course I understand that B strings are strange things.
There is nothing stranger about the B string than any other of the strings.

Photos of the nut/string arrangement would be a useful starting place.

It sounded fine when other people played it and then you got home and played it yourself, or it sounded fine when you played it until you got home and played it?

If none of the usual remedies have rectified the situation, starting with a new nut might be a good approach, regardless of it being a newish nut to begin with.
Old 03-26-2015, 06:06 AM

Have you tried to contact the folks at SCGC about this issue? I have found them to be very helpful with problems relating to their guitars.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
There is nothing stranger about the B string than any other of the strings.

Photos of the nut/string arrangement would be a useful starting place.

It sounded fine when other people played it and then you got home and played it yourself, or it sounded fine when you played it until you got home and played it?

If none of the usual remedies have rectified the situation, starting with a new nut might be a good approach, regardless of it being a newish nut to begin with.
Hi Charles,
thanks for your input.

No - it didn't sound fine when others played it - I [played it both time immediately after both chaps had filed the slot. Of course when you play in a workshop it's not quite like playing on a stage or whatever.

It sounds like you are saying start again with a new nut which is slightly problematic for me as I've lost my great luthier, and his apprentice who did the first adjustment say he can't consider any work for at least three months. The other guy - I'm just not sure he's the man if you know what I mean.
But thanks for the thoughts.

I've read on luthierie .net that the string should be in contact with the first third of the nut - would you agree?
I thought that the string should lean on the front edge only ?

Seems to me that if that isn't dead on, the string could buzz around in the slot slightly.

Any further opinion/input welcomed.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:14 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorehand View Post
Have you tried to contact the folks at SCGC about this issue? I have found them to be very helpful with problems relating to their guitars.
Hi Sorehand - yes I've asked the very same question on the SCGC forum "ask Richard".

No response as yet.
Old 03-26-2015, 07:26 AM

The slot could be filled with a bone splint and re-cut.

Photos would be good.

If the nut slot had issues to begin with (ie: cut too wide, cut too flat, cut too low), then more cutting won't solve the problem. Remaking the slot would be the only thing to rectify the issue if this were the case.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 03-26-2015, 05:04 PM

My guess is the nut slot is a little low, and the string is fretting out. Usually this results in a buzz, but sometimes the string only hits the fret once or twice before the excursion diminishes enough to clear the fret, resulting in a "clunky" sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
The slot could be filled with a bone splint and re-cut.

Photos would be good.

If the nut slot had issues to begin with (ie: cut too wide, cut too flat, cut too low), then more cutting won't solve the problem. Remaking the slot would be the only thing to rectify the issue if this were the case.
If my guess is correct, cutting won't fix it, fill and re-cut will.
et al
Old 03-26-2015, 05:55 PM

Hi. I've had symptoms that could be described similarly and each time a string wasn't projecting or sustaining as loud or as long as others it was because of a bad fit in the nut.....And it seems your luthier connections concur since they were working on that area.

I can also imagine that if it was first filled with ca glue and bone dust during first repair, that stuff may have broken out soon after. I can also imagine a persnickety fitting string in nut might sound ok after a bit of adjustment only to re-equilibrate into its same ol crappy slot under tension for awhile. Again, I'm just hypothesizing!

To test this hypothesis the best plan is to get a new nut. Not a big endeavor. SCGC could send you one, you knock the other out with a gentle wooden hammer blow (etc), set in new nut with a dab of super glue and you are doing just whAt SCGC would do if you sent it in.

As far as why: you got an Italian sports car not a Honda civic. These boutique guitars are super-charged and sensitive to subtle changes. I bought a brand new SCGC and the bridge blew out after a couple months. I dropped it off and got it back a couple months later....it was worth the wait because they did a new setup on it and the Intonation is just simply incredible.

That's my spouting for the day!

Sam
Old 03-27-2015, 05:58 AM
Charter Member

Hi, there hasn't been a fill (bone dust and superglue) done (at least not since I've had it).
My two guys simply used a slotting saw to adjust the slot - but it didn't do the job.

I think I like the idea of someone cutting out the area and inserting another piece of bone rather than a whole new nut - mainly because I don't have anyone I trust to cut a new nut for me now.

Losing the great guy that used to cater to all my whims leaves me bereft !
Old 03-27-2015, 06:04 AM

If you send an email or call SCGC with your problem they will most likely be able to help you. The "ask Richard" on the SCGC Forum is the slow way and most likely you will be asked to speak or email the service rep at [email protected] or Phone: (831) 425-0999. My experience with them has been excellent. They know their instruments well and want their users to be happy. Perhaps they can recommend a luthier who works near you. They seem to have world wide connections.
Old 03-27-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left of Sam View Post
I bought a brand new SCGC and the bridge blew out after a couple months.
Hi Sam, just out of curiosity, how exactly did your bridge "blow out" ?

I had a tire blow out once ... it wasn't a pleasant experience ...
Old 03-27-2015, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrmac123 View Post
Hi Sam, just out of curiosity, how exactly did your bridge "blow out" ?

I had a tire blow out once ... it wasn't a pleasant experience ...
Fit like murrmac! "Blew out" was my dramatic way of saying that the bridge began to split out of saddle slot.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair