The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 03-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

Default $3 high quality, long duration home made humidifier

Because of photobucket issues - i reposted this topic HERE

I've been very interested in case humidifiers. I prefer the Oasis case humidifier but also tried Hurco clay pots and Planet Waves sound hole humidifiers.

I've read a lot of people's ideas for a home made humidifier and here is mine:

I wanted a humidifier that is easily serviced, easy to make, robust and reliable (not cheap). I wanted one that would provide humidity longer than a simple sponge-type.

The following components were used:

One O-cello sponge (in a $2 four-pack) from grocery store $0.50
A tiny portion of one ($2) bag of flower water beads from Walmart $0.50
A scew-cap travel jar from the grocery store $1.50

First, I made and printed a pattern for the vent holes. I drilled these with a 3/32" bit in the screw cap.

I cut the sponge using the screw-cap outside as a template. Then I pressed the sponge into the cap.

I filled the jar with already soaked water gel beads.

Now, the water beads hold a lot of water. They will evaporate it slowly. The sponge is just there as a screen and extra safety measure in case the beads drip or misbehave (although they never should). So the large volume of water in the beads will humidify the sponge which will humdify the case.

Similarly, I put a larger sponge in my planet waves soundhole humdifier, then put 5-6 water beads in, then another strip of sponge. This humidifier dried up every 2 days so the beads should keep the sponge moist for considerably longer.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240

Last edited by fazool; 08-07-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-16-2013, 04:31 PM

Thats a good idea! Thanks for posting it.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl b View Post
thats a good idea! Thanks for posting it.

+1 .
Old 03-16-2013, 09:31 PM

I made a couple of those back before Christmas as an experiment after hearing about water beads. Mine was just beads in a perforated soap dish, and it lasted about two months before the beads shrank to the point where they couldn't do much anymore. I keep them around still as a backup in case something should happen to my house humidifier. Good idea with the sponge, too. Should help wick the moisture out to where it can evaporate more readily.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 03-17-2013, 07:15 AM

it's purdy too!
Old 03-17-2013, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Default final details

About 30 gel beads is the correct quantity. I keep a bottled water bottle full of beads already soaking so, when they need refreshing, I can just pour out the dry beads and refill with wet beads.

I switched to clear beads - the pink was a prototype

Also, Home Depot sells precut industrial strength velcro discs (they label them as velcro coins), they aer the perfect size for mounting this in your case.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:25 PM

I bought clear ones, and may switch to colored. If you drop a clear one on the floor, it can only be found with the bottom of your foot. Yuck! Craft stores like Michael's sell them in dry form in 40g packages, which makes over a gallon when hydrated. Seriously overkill, but if you want to make a lot of these you can save a little bit of money.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 03-27-2013, 05:43 PM
Charter Member

Default more info

I went back to the grocery store and found a travel kit for six or seven dollars. It had a couple tubes, a spray bottle and several little containers in this same family.

I used the spray bottle for a mix of baking soda and water to use as CA accelerator.

I made three sizes. I decided the medium is best for my use, although the large might be useful in a jumbo case. The tiny one I made for my rosewood and sitka accessory box.

I also split the sponge in my PW soundhole humidifier and put gel beads in between those.

I check the beads about every week or so. They last much longer. My PW humidifier lasts 3 times as long now before needing water.

I keep a soaking bottle of beads that I swap in and out.

The distilled water was <$2 and has lasted me over 4 months so far with 2/3 left to use.

Old 03-27-2013, 06:12 PM

I admire your engineering very much and I'll be trying this water gel bead thing for sure. So far I just use sponges in soap containers and the oasis yellow and I swear it's just like watering a pack of dogs. It feels like that's all I do (6500 altitude, very dry and forced air heating so it's a war).
Old 03-27-2013, 06:29 PM

Nice work, and thanks for sharing!!

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 03-31-2013, 03:09 PM
Charter Member

Default more designs

OK, so I continued my design efforts a little more and made a sound hold humidifier version.

To do this, I used the smallest travel container from the kit I referenced earlier. I then had a spare plastic screw. I drilled a hole, cut the screw to length and inserted a 3/16" grommet - this was perfect spacing for gently hanging from the strings.

I CA-ed the screw to the side of the case.

Inserting this is easy from the outside of the strings, I think the grommet will hold the unit nicely.

I was unhappy with my PW sound hole humidifier because it was hard plastic and it stretch the strings a tremendous amount. It also didn't hold much water.

My design will hold gently and have gel beads for a much greater reservoir of water, with the added protection of the sponge.

This unit will cost about $5 because you need a grommet and a plastic screw. However, I think its a great step up in sound hole humidifier design. It's safer and lasts longer.

Oh, and I increased the vent holes' size to 5/32"

(what can I say....I am passionate about protecting my guitars' fine wood and I very particular about what I want inside my case. And I hate everyone throwing away too much money on sub-par products.

These home-made humidifiers take about 30 minutes to set up (drawing vent hole pattern) but onece you make one, you can knock them off in about 5 minutes:

- transfer hole pattern to lid
- drill holes in lid
- cut sponge into a circle
- slice sponge circle in half
- assemble with gel beads

(additionally for sound hole unit)
- drill hole in side
- cut screw to length
- assemble grommet and screw
- add CA & let cure/outgas overnight

Old 04-08-2013, 11:42 AM

You da man!!!! Thank you for coming up with this and sharing. I can't wait to try this myself.

What does "CA" mean?
Old 04-13-2013, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
OK, so I continued my design efforts a little more and made a sound hold humidifier version.

To do this, I used the smallest travel container from the kit I referenced earlier. I then had a spare plastic screw. I drilled a hole, cut the screw to length and inserted a 3/16" grommet - this was perfect spacing for gently hanging from the strings.

I CA-ed the screw to the side of the case.

Inserting this is easy from the outside of the strings, I think the grommet will hold the unit nicely.

I was unhappy with my PW sound hole humidifier because it was hard plastic and it stretch the strings a tremendous amount. It also didn't hold much water.

My design will hold gently and have gel beads for a much greater reservoir of water, with the added protection of the sponge.

This unit will cost about $5 because you need a grommet and a plastic screw. However, I think its a great step up in sound hole humidifier design. It's safer and lasts longer.

Oh, and I increased the vent holes' size to 5/32"

(what can I say....I am passionate about protecting my guitars' fine wood and I very particular about what I want inside my case. And I hate everyone throwing away too much money on sub-par products.

These home-made humidifiers take about 30 minutes to set up (drawing vent hole pattern) but onece you make one, you can knock them off in about 5 minutes:

- transfer hole pattern to lid
- drill holes in lid
- cut sponge into a circle
- slice sponge circle in half
- assemble with gel beads

(additionally for sound hole unit)
- drill hole in side
- cut screw to length
- assemble grommet and screw
- add CA & let cure/outgas overnight
Would you be so kind as to show how this sound hole humidifier is actually placed in the soundhole? Thanks!
Old 04-14-2013, 02:46 PM
Charter Member

Default installed

Someone PM-ed me asking to see how the soundhole version mounts.

The strings are in the slot of the grommet (hard to see in this pic)

Old 04-14-2013, 08:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
What does "CA" mean?

cyanoacrylate....AKA crazy/super glue

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair