The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-02-2012, 03:27 PM
AGF Sponsor

I have never understood how Kim has been able to succeed with this business model, the uncertainty has no parallel I am aware of. Not only is the price uncertain, but he has no way to know whether he actually has orders or not. It's really just a list of names and he charges $500 per to be on it. I guess it's a feel good thing, but to me it sounds stressful.

I instead chose to charge a more realistic $1000 as a retainer, which amounts to around ten percent, and consider it a commitment from both sides wherein I guarantee the price and the time frame while the customer guarantees they are actually buying a guitar or they forfeit their retainer. Then, so that inflation doesn't put me out of business, I only let the list get as long as 2 years before I either say not right now, call me later, or I simply raise my price, which will slow things down to a dull roar for a while.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I know John, but not Kim. I have played more Circas than Walkers, but find both to be capable of making guitars that fit my parameters for being great guitars. I have played only two Walkers, but both came as close to being my kind of guitar as any I've ever seen made by another maker. Only thing I didn't like was that it wasn't my logo on top. I cannot think of any other maker out there I can say this about. Of course it is possible that when I see a third one it will spoil my illusion, but somehow I doubt it.
Coming from you, Bruce, I'll take it!

Thanks for your post.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I own (or have owned) guitars from each builder mentioned in this thread. To me there is no clear cut favorite amongst them, just different flavors. My personal take is that Kim's guitars have a traditional edge, but they are not built in the true vintage vein like a TJ. They fall between a Traugott & TJ, about smack-dab in the middle I find, but with more of a Gibson vibe to their tone. There are a few used ones at Luthier's Collection. Have you checked those out? Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for offering your insight.

I do want a brand new one. Kim is located about 4 hours from here so it'd be a great experience to go and pick it up in person. I'm also quite picky about the specs I would want on it...
Old 10-02-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
I know that a lot of this is about wanting "a Walker", but if you are craving that vintage vibe then what about John Greven? By all accounts, that's what he does and he'll do if far quicker and far cheaper.

Personally, an 8 year wait is just not on. The longest I have waited is 3 years and that is at the very upper limit of what I'll tolerate - a lot can change in that time, not least your own preferences. Also, I "locked in" a price. Not knowing the ultimate outlay would be a definite deal-breaker for me - the price is only going in one direction and it's not down!

Cheers,
Steve
I've been considering a Greven as well. I wonder how such a respected builder can maintain such reasonable prices...

To be honest, I've never even played a Walker -- though I'm confident they sound great. My interest is mostly based on his sense of aesthetics and the feeling of owning a piece of history. Probably the same reasons that pushed me to get an Olson.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdm0509 View Post
I'm on Kim's list...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsgeek View Post
I am on Kim's long list of waiting clients...
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeD View Post
I threw my name on his list 2 years ago, and when the time comes, I will see if I want to have him build me a guitar or if I want to "sell" my spot to someone else for $500 and get my money back.
Guys, I offer $550 for your spot. $550. Any takers? $600 maybe?
Old 10-02-2012, 04:21 PM

As MikeD put it, guitar choice at this level is about preferences. Kim's guitars are my favorites. I own three:

Simply the best for what I want. I do think that one can speak of absolutes regarding these guitars, too; Kim's varnish finishes are the best guitar finishes I've encountered.

I am responsible for Kim's pricing structure. I am a recovering lawyer (like an alcoholic, once one, always one). About a decade ago, it became clear that Kim's then locked prices were under-market and folks were selling for over double the purchase price without taking delivery. A dealer that shall remain unnamed was then taking orders at prices locked upon deposit, taking commissions on those orders, and then taking another commission when the dealer brokered a sale from the first purchaser to the second purchaser at a price of 2 to 3 times the original price. By doing this, both the first purchaser and the dealer made more from the guitar than did Kim! So, I drafted the current policy. Kim is able to set a fair price for his guitars. Folks are still able to resell for more (for the very few who do resell, I won't be joining their ranks).

Kim builds around 20 guitars per year, unless he fits in a few archtops (which he's no longer doing), and then the number drops.

I'm really looking forward to next week's WalkerFest, and especially to hearing Howard Emerson play some Walkers, even though he tunes them to one key and then plays in another. Both Howard and Kim are magicians. It will be an honor to be in the presence of both.
Old 10-02-2012, 07:47 PM
Charter Member

I have no problem understanding kim's business model.

How can it be stressful? You've got about 75-100 people lined up on a waiting list, with guaranteed price increases.

Kim could live to a 100, and people would still be on a waiting list.

Even if you made 20 guitars a year, at 12-15,000 per guitar, it's a good living.

I've never once heard of Kim walker posting on an Internet forum or even acknowledge anything or anybody in the Internet world of chatter trying to drum up business.

His website has barely been updated in over 10 years.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:18 PM

Once upon a time I was Jonesing for a Kim Walker archtop, and asked Stan Jay of Mandolin Bros. whether he ever got any used ones in for sale. He said he rarely, if ever, did, and suggested that I send Kim a deposit. I told him the seven year wait was more than I wanted to put myself through, and he replied, in his infinite wisdom, that the seven years will pass whether I put myself on the list or not.

Seven years later, I am the owner of this outrageous archtop.

I'll also add that, in my experience, Kim is as honorable and down to earth as they come. i would never for a second believe he would raise his prices to gouge his customers. My sense is that he raises prices only when it is necessary to make an adjustment so that he receives fair compensation for his exquisite and highly demanded work. Sometimes you do get what you pay for.
Old 10-02-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
I've been considering a Greven as well. I wonder how such a respected builder can maintain such reasonable prices...

To be honest, I've never even played a Walker -- though I'm confident they sound great. My interest is mostly based on his sense of aesthetics and the feeling of owning a piece of history. Probably the same reasons that pushed me to get an Olson.
I also have a Greven about to finish this month (00042 adi/braz 39' specs)... I think John is very reasonable, and he builds a lot of guitars annually... thus, the abundance in supply.

Another luth you might want to check is Joe Konkoly, I havent played one, but I exchanged emails w/ some forum members and reviews were positive... I ordered one (OM42 adi/braz prewar specs), and hopefully it gets done middle of next year... I think he has a 2 year wait list
Old 10-02-2012, 08:26 PM

I guess that picture wasn't so outrageous after all. Trying again.

It seems harder to post photos with a Mac. Or am I just techno-lame?
Old 10-02-2012, 08:32 PM

Stunning.... How can one create world class flat tops and archtops
Old 10-02-2012, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
As MikeD put it, guitar choice at this level is about preferences. Kim's guitars are my favorites. I own three:
John, that is an impressively tasteful collection.

Congrats and thanks for posting.
Old 10-02-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluemonk View Post
I guess that picture wasn't so outrageous after all. Trying again.

It seems harder to post photos with a Mac. Or am I just techno-lame?
What a beautiful archtop. Gotta love the pickguard...

As a long time PC user, I hate Macs. They're meant to be simple to use -- but at times it's just "too simple". I like the flexibility of a PC.
Old 10-02-2012, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fsgeek View Post
I also have a Greven about to finish this month (00042 adi/braz 39' specs)...
How about you keep it simple and list the builders with who you do NOT have a build scheduled?
Old 10-02-2012, 10:02 PM

Thanks everyone for your posts.

I've decided to get on the waiting list and will swing a deposit over to Mr. Walker.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop