The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 10-01-2012, 02:22 PM

Default Thoughts on Kim Walker guitars

As much as I like to play my guitars, I'm a collector at heart and would love to add a Walker to my guitar collection. To me, it would be the ultimate vintage style guitar.

So I had a nice chat with Kim and I'm seriously considering getting in line.

But when I start thinking about where I'm going to be 7-8 years from now, I get scared... LOL

Has anyone here owned a Walker guitar?

Has anyone ever waited this long to get a guitar?

Last edited by JoeCharter; 10-01-2012 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Shoot me an email, JC.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:36 PM
Charter Member

What about John Slobod at Circa? He's definitely a contender for ultimate vintage guitar.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justonwo View Post
What about John Slobod at Circa? He's definitely a contender for ultimate vintage guitar.
Yeah I actually emailed him earlier today.

I believe he's still 2-3 years out though...

Last edited by JoeCharter; 10-01-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 02:42 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
As much as I like to play my guitars, I'm a collector at heart and would love to add a Walker to my guitar collection. To me, it would be the ultimate vintage style guitar.

So I had a nice chat with Kim and I'm seriously considering getting in line.

But when I start thinking about where I'm going to be 7-8 years from now, I get scared... LOL

Has anyone owned a Walker guitars?

Has anyone ever waited this long to get a guitar?
Hey,
Kim is a really nice guy, great builder with a refined sense of style, feet planted firmly in the past. A good place.

I'll actually be going to Kim's in about a week or so. One of my students had him build a new guitar and it's about ready, so he asked to meet me for a test drive. Send me an email and I'll link you to the private build pics.

Best,
Howard
Old 10-01-2012, 03:00 PM
AGF Sponsor

I know John, but not Kim. I have played more Circas than Walkers, but find both to be capable of making guitars that fit my parameters for being great guitars. I have played only two Walkers, but both came as close to being my kind of guitar as any I've ever seen made by another maker. Only thing I didn't like was that it wasn't my logo on top. I cannot think of any other maker out there I can say this about. Of course it is possible that when I see a third one it will spoil my illusion, but somehow I doubt it.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Sexauer View Post
I know John, but not Kim. I have played more Circas than Walkers, but find both to be capable of making guitars that fit my parameters for being great guitars. I have played only two Walkers, but both came as close to being my kind of guitar as any I've ever seen made by another maker. Only thing I didn't like was that it wasn't my logo on top. I cannot think of any other maker out there I can say this about. Of course it is possible that when I see a third one it will spoil my illusion, but somehow I doubt it.
Wow that says it all. I came very close to buying the Circa D42 at Dream Guitars a few years back but I could not get the price where I wanted it to be be so I ended up with an Olson SJ instead. I am happy with the Olson but I know that 42 would have been a great guitar for me. There are some really great guitars being built these days and for reasonable money also.
Old 10-01-2012, 04:46 PM

I'm on Kim's list... Maybe a year or 18 months in? At $500, it's almost silly to -not- be on the list. And there's just no way he'll build forever.

When I've asked the men and women I respect most, the names I keep hearing always end up being Ervin Somogyi, Jeff Traugott, and either Kim Walker or T J Thompson. They all "own" very different areas. Ervin is the modern California sound; Jeff is that super clear bridge between tradition and innovation; and Kim and TJ are firmly in the traditional space.

I've got no more aspirations of a Somogyi. My Traugott is weeks away. If I end u with another really high-end guitar (that "way way too much" variety), I think it just may be a Brazilian Walker OM with a shaded top.

My two cents...
Brett

CF MARTIN 1930 OM-18 - Mahogany/Adirondack
GIBSON 2018 Memphis Limited 1963 ES-335 - Maple/Maple
MCCONNELL 2021 Electric Semi-Hollow - Wenge/Sitka

[SoundCloud | YouTube]
Old 10-01-2012, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

The only problem with putting down a deposit on a walker, is not knowing the cost.

If you put a $500 deposit down in 2005, 8 years later that $7500 guitar is now $12,000.

He does not lock in a price. Used walkers are very rare, and you'll never have problem selling one, no matter how expensive it is.

So it's not a question of value, just not knowing for such a long time.

Kim must work slow. To be back logged 8 years, I wonder what his annual output is.

Kim has to be in his 60s now, so you hope he can keep building. But with an 8 year back log, you wonder when he'll have to cut off orders.

Last edited by jperryrocks; 10-01-2012 at 06:33 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

I own (or have owned) guitars from each builder mentioned in this thread. To me there is no clear cut favorite amongst them, just different flavors. My personal take is that Kim's guitars have a traditional edge, but they are not built in the true vintage vein like a TJ. They fall between a Traugott & TJ, about smack-dab in the middle I find, but with more of a Gibson vibe to their tone. There are a few used ones at Luthier's Collection. Have you checked those out? Feel free to PM me with any questions.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM
Old 10-02-2012, 03:02 AM

I know that a lot of this is about wanting "a Walker", but if you are craving that vintage vibe then what about John Greven? By all accounts, that's what he does and he'll do if far quicker and far cheaper.

Personally, an 8 year wait is just not on. The longest I have waited is 3 years and that is at the very upper limit of what I'll tolerate - a lot can change in that time, not least your own preferences. Also, I "locked in" a price. Not knowing the ultimate outlay would be a definite deal-breaker for me - the price is only going in one direction and it's not down!

Cheers,
Steve
Old 10-02-2012, 09:15 AM

I find it hard to believe, 8 years wait list for a guitar??

Does Mr. Walker build 4 or 5 guitars a year or are they so many people on the waiting list?

Anyway I don't even know If I will be alive in 8 years to view and admire Joe's walker guitar build thread!!

Best,

Keyshore
Old 10-02-2012, 10:21 AM

I am on Kim's long list of waiting clients... It will be a nice 45th bday present, haha... I was contemplating on getting a preowned Walker, but they are expensive... For guitars w/ similar pricing Traugotts are nice too, shorter wait list... or just get a used one... a lot of them are for sale, Im not sure why... Somogyis are harder to find, I have played maybe 7 or 8 of them... I like his older guitars (mid 90's to 02')... the older ones have less than perfect fit and finish, the woods are not as gorgeous, but they sound fantastic, atleast better than the newer ones... The 97' SJ, 99' SJ and 01' OM are among the best guitars I have played... Finding a TJ Thompson guitar for sale in itself is a feat..
Old 10-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

Even if I could afford one, the unwillingness to lock in a price would not sit well with me. Not only is it only going up, it can move an undefined amount. Yes, the web site says that, historically, it moved at about 8% each year, with some years not moving, but on a $14,000 guitar, that's $1100/year or so (not compounded!!), so in 8 years, that could be a $23,000 guitar. Too much risk for my blood. Am I doing that math correctly?

2013 Joel Stehr Dreadnought - Carpathian/Malaysian BW
2014 RainSong H-OM1000N2
2017 Rainsong BI-WS1000N2
2013 Chris Ensor Concert - Port Orford Cedar/Wenge
1980ish Takamine EF363 complete with irreplaceable memories
A bunch of electrics (too many!!)
Old 10-02-2012, 02:20 PM
Charter Member

When your spot comes up, you have no commitment to take spot for the guitar if the price is out of your budget. Your only risk is the $500 deposit for the slot. I threw my name on his list 2 years ago, and when the time comes, I will see if I want to have him build me a guitar or if I want to "sell" my spot to someone else for $500 and get my money back. My hunch is that the demand for Kim's guitars will not go down, if anything it will go up especially if the economy recovers, so I really don't see there being any risk on my end by reserving a slot.
Slackers 1:51-52
FSM

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop