The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 05-29-2017, 10:43 AM

Default Kim Walker Videos

I recently got to play some Kim Walker guitars and we worked on getting some videos up of one of his guitars shot right in his shop.

I am not really an acoustic player but I hope you everyone enjoys.

I know this thread is pretty old but there are not many videos out there.There are a few other videos on his channel as well for those curious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHn_iIOSyXA&t=20s
Old 05-29-2017, 11:50 AM

Great video! Thanks for sharing it. It's a real privilege to get the chance to check out his guitars since they have such an almost mythical status. This was awesome.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:24 PM

After a friend took delivery of his Walker Deep body OM of Mahogany and Adirondack that was just wonderful, I called Kim. He quoted 11k for an OM 28 Brazilian and Adi. He also said that it would take four years and the price when done would probably be quite a bit more due to the rise in his secondary market. I thanked him and was very happy with my Merrill.

The friends OM is now worth far more than he paid for it. Another friend had a similar Walker OM and it sounded no better than a Martin OM 18.

Ya never know.
Old 05-29-2017, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

I played a Kim Walker 000 in Sitka and Mahogany a while back. Interesting to see such an expensive instrument built with those woods. It seemed like a great sounding instrument. It was very lightly built like a Santa Cruz or McAlister.

High End Guitar Review Videos.
www.youtube.com/user/rockinb23
Old 05-29-2017, 04:51 PM

My favorite guitar maker. Thanks for sharing this with us. I'd hoped to get to his shop to play those OM-45s but, alas, life intervened.

My Walkers:

Old 05-29-2017, 05:29 PM

wow!!! two of them! thats great.

I am lucky because I live right in the area about ten minutes away. The thought did flash through my mind as I was driving home... "how could i get one of those?!"

I had a lot of fun playing them. ideas just seemed to spring out.
Old 05-29-2017, 06:13 PM

Kim walker is the luthier who made the guitar i unwisely sold years ago that is one of the two best guitars that i have ever played to this day. He sure is a genius at making guitars, thats for sure.
Old 05-30-2017, 09:16 AM

Kim does the best varnish finish...
Having owned 3 of his guitars... they are among the best....
Old 05-30-2017, 06:06 PM

I say buy two,
Gotta keep up with the Joneses!
Old 05-30-2017, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgregg48 View Post
I say buy two,
Gotta keep up with the Joneses!
Alas, when, a few year's ago, Kim's wait time exceeded ten years, he stopped taking orders.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
Alas, when, a few year's ago, Kim's wait time exceeded ten years, he stopped taking orders.
Thats why i wont order one, by the time its completed, i will have been dead for five years!
Old 05-31-2017, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Here are my two gorgeous and amazing Walkers

Old 06-05-2017, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwilliams467 View Post
I am lucky because I live right in the area about ten minutes away. The thought did flash through my mind as I was driving home... "how could i get one of those?!"

I had a lot of fun playing them. ideas just seemed to spring out.
cwilliams - thank you for sharing this. I have some family about 30 minutes away from Kim's shop. On a trip several years ago, I screwed up my courage, left my checkbook at home, and asked if I could stop by for a visit. Kim was so gracious and hosted a visit that turned out to be nearly the entire morning. My brother-in-law tagged along and they really hit it off - talking about woodworking and vintage tools at length. On the side Kim kept handing me guitars to try out. I was quite content to have 20-30 minutes playing time with each(!) of several he had in the shop at the time. I especially bonded with one of his Brazilian OM's. It was about 10 years old and back in the shop for some minor finish touch up. That thing was so alive - just speaking anywhere near it set it off vibrating ... which set me off giggling just from the amazing experience. Sound just leapt out of the instrument at the slightest touch. It was truly a holy grail instrument. My drive home was very similar to yours ... scheming the whole trip: "how can I get one? how can I get one? ..." LOL, I never did get one but it was an unforgettable memory. 10 minutes away!? Super dangerous for me ... I would succumb for sure.

Your playing is really nice, and the video quality is very good. Thanks for the memories

John

My Music On Bandcamp
Acoustic Guitar Forum CD - Vol. 1

For Sale: Saville Baritone
Old 06-29-2017, 03:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1 View Post
My favorite guitar maker. Thanks for sharing this with us. I'd hoped to get to his shop to play those OM-45s but, alas, life intervened.

My Walkers:

I had the pleasure of visiting John this week. He has several great sounding guitars (old and new). I had never seen or heard a Walker in person. Both of these guitars were exceptional. The maple SJ was especially nice!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop