The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-27-2016, 05:11 AM

Default Questions about Custom Multi Channel On Board Preamp, mixer and reverb choices

Hello everyone,

I tried various brands pickups, microphones and transducers. And found out what I really like and wanna blend all signals on an on board preamp into one mono output signal to save all the hassles.

But I've been researching LR Baggs, Fishman, K&K, Sunrise and all other popular brands and haven't found an on broad preamp which can do the job.

Could anyone please tell me if anyone builds custom multi channel on board Preamp which blends 3 different sources into one Mono signal?

Or there's actually have no such thing and I have to have 3 different input jacks on my guitar and then blend them into an out board preamp/mixer? If so, please suggest.

My ideal setup would be blending the followings together with a Reverb Pedal:
1) Transducers: Carlos CP1- A/K&K Undersaddle
2) Microphone: Miniflex Mic2 Model 1
3) Soundhole Pickup: Sunrise S2/LR Baggs M1

Thanks everyone!
Old 06-27-2016, 05:47 AM

Hi,

donīt think there is a preamp that can do this. You can use two jacks or one 4-pole jack like the one which is used in the trance amulet system (or any other 4-pole XLR plug). Then blend outside...
Old 06-27-2016, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schau_ins_Regal View Post
Hi,

donīt think there is a preamp that can do this. You can use two jacks or one 4-pole jack like the one which is used in the trance amulet system (or any other 4-pole XLR plug). Then blend outside...
Hello, I tried to do a bit research on preamps, not all of them come with dual channels and I haven't seen any would provide 3 channels....Since there are 3 different source, do you mean I will need 3 jacks instead of 2?

If I just need 2 sources, is it possible to install the Sunrise S2 and a Miniflex Mic 2 Model One and then blend them together on the out board Sunrise SB2 (stereo preamp)?

Do you mind suggesting mixer for blending signals together? I apologize I have completely no knowledge on mixer choices...

I think an on board device (preamp or mixer...etc) which blends different channels together(transducer, mic...etc) would be very handy (like make the outboard preamp small enough to mount inside a guitar). I just wondering why nobody makes something like this, perhaps it's technologically not possible? That would be one very handy tool, just plug and play and instant access to very complex tone.

By the way, thanks so much for your input, really appreciate it
Old 06-27-2016, 07:15 AM

The K&K Powermix Trinity is an onboard 3 source preamp, not sure if its available on its own, or only available as part of their own complete 3 source system (maybe contact them and ask) but it seems like it might be something to consider
Old 06-27-2016, 12:18 PM

For 3 sources with an onboard blend, look into Cole Clark guitars.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thelabarum View Post
Hello, I tried to do a bit research on preamps, not all of them come with dual channels and I haven't seen any would provide 3 channels....Since there are 3 different source, do you mean I will need 3 jacks instead of 2?

If I just need 2 sources, is it possible to install the Sunrise S2 and a Miniflex Mic 2 Model One and then blend them together on the out board Sunrise SB2 (stereo preamp)?

Do you mind suggesting mixer for blending signals together? I apologize I have completely no knowledge on mixer choices...

I think an on board device (preamp or mixer...etc) which blends different channels together(transducer, mic...etc) would be very handy (like make the outboard preamp small enough to mount inside a guitar). I just wondering why nobody makes something like this, perhaps it's technologically not possible? That would be one very handy tool, just plug and play and instant access to very complex tone.

By the way, thanks so much for your input, really appreciate it

Hi,

you can get 3 sources out of your guitar with either 2 stereo jacks or one 4-pole XLR jack.

I am not familiar with the miniflex mics and if they work with the sunrise preamp. But there will surely be someone who knows that...

For an outboard mixer... maybe look into a Allen & Heath ZED 10 or something similar.

I think 3 channel guitar preamps are not built because it is just an overkill for most guitarists and they do not want such a highly customized system...

Regards, Christoph
Old 06-27-2016, 03:47 PM

It sounds like a lot of knobs on board for all the control that would be necessary. David Wilcox uses 4-5 sources on his guitar and ultimately blends everything through a Bose Tonematch mixer. He says it's great to simply hand the sound person an XLR cable and be ready to go.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification