The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 06-25-2016, 09:33 AM

We use a Yamaha MG 12 XU mixer and a powered Alto Trooper speaker.
Plenty of inputs and the mixer has effects. The Alto puts out 200 watts and will accommodate rooms of 30-50 people. The whole thing with a stand for the Alto was right around your price point and it sounds and works great.
We do have another Alto and stand if we need more oomph.
Old 06-25-2016, 09:49 AM

I've kind of been checking this one out since when I read the OP, my first thought was not enough money. But folks have been stepping up with some thoughts. Still most will blow the budget. You might get lucky and hit something on Craig's list. Maybe an older generation speaker/PA system that will be bigger, heavier, not as good a sound quality but serviceable. You might find someone dumping a smaller power amp and unpowered speakers in your range.

The last Behringer B210D PA speaker one of the band members bought to use as a monitor died within 6 months and left a bad taste for me. Maybe it was just bad luck but nothing like equipment dying on a gig to forever turn one away. Still it presents an available low cost option if you want new.

An powered Behringer 10" and XEYNX 1202 FX mixer will get you 4 XLR inputs with modest onboard effects and a speaker with power for $300. Go to Amazon and get a 6 pack of GLS Audio 25ft Mic Cable Cords for$70 bucks and a Pyle Pro speaker stand for $23 and you are basically making sound for under $400.

I couldn't guarantee you'll be reliably making sound with the same rig 6 months from now though. Except for the GLS cables which have proven themselves to be pretty robust. Or that you'll be happy with the noise floor, or the headroom, or the output etc. But you could get it done.

I'd at least take a look at Craig's list knowing the junk to treasure ration is often very high.

And if possible the cajon works better mic'd.

hunter
Old 06-25-2016, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

I'll second what an earlier poster said about the JBL Eon, I picked up a EON610 for $299 at Sweetwater, (now $349, normally $399) and it's a very good sounding speaker for that kind of money. 500 watts continuous, 2 inputs. I've used it a few times outdoors, the master was never past 12 0 clock, channels around 9 0 clock. Add a small mixer for $100 if you can swing it and that puts you only $50 over your budget.
Just another thought for you...
good luck in your search.

Last edited by jricc; 06-25-2016 at 02:00 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification