The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 06-02-2014, 01:06 PM

Yes the effects are a great help too.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:55 PM

For me, going electric highlighted my mistakes. It can teach you things about "touch" that don't come thru in an acoustic. I think playing electric makes me a better acoustic player. 2 cents, about what an opinion is worth.

Erik
Old 06-07-2014, 03:13 PM
Charter Member

Totally agree with you MD, and with the OP. I'm in my 60's and have been playing acoustic since the early 70's. I actually owned a US strat about 10 years ago and sold it because it didn't sound right to me. Well, I now know it was all me and not the guitar. As I'm developing some significant arthritis in my fretting hand I thought I'd try electric again to extend my playing years due to the lower tension, so I'm working my way through hollow bodies, strats, lp's, etc. to see what I really like. My favorite so far is a really nice G&L F100 in black burst over flamed maple with EMG humbuckers. It plays beautifully clean or overdriven, but it absolutely shows every mistake! I never realized what a sloppy player I was. My rosewood J45 and D35 with their ringing overtones covered the minor mistakes...but not the G&L. So I have definitely improved my acoustic playing since picking up the electric. I'm playing more mistake free and adding little fills and runs that I never did before. I think I learn something new almost daily since picking up the electric, and having a ball playing rock star
Old 06-07-2014, 03:40 PM

I started out with Classical and Flamenco and for years I tried cheap Electric Guitars and never got into them. Could really dig not getting the expression just from the guitar.

I bought a PRS Mira a few years ago and thought that it would be great to have the effects also in a fairly cheap package at the time so I bought a GT-10.. then got busy with work again and the guitar got put away.

After some time I cam back to it and really started to play it in ernest and made that breakthrough of finally getting feeling into the sound and got quite enthused...

..then I went on holiday and made a the mistake of not taking the guitar. Got quite into the idea of a decent acoustic and bought Martin OM-15 whilst I was away.

Up to date now, I've put many an hour into the Martin and love it dearly but I got out the PRS again today and you know what? Although I feel in love and wedded to the Martin I could have a Mistress
Old 06-19-2014, 09:03 PM

I'm exactly like several of you on this thread - played electric in high school, then put it down and played 100% acoustic for a couple of decades. Now I'm playing electrics again, and it's definitely a different beast. In a solo or duo setting, I use a lot more open chords and open strings on acoustic because I think it really fills out the sound. But I found playing the same song on electric, it sounded better with just barre chords and partial bars.

And then there's playing leads - I have no idea what I'm doing for solos. But I'm having fun trying to learn some new skills now after all these years. I think that's the most important thing - to always be trying to push yourself ahead and expand on your talent.
Old 06-19-2014, 09:22 PM

That is what is so cool about my Fender Mustang modeling amp;.What would be very unimpressive if played on an acoustic can sound fantastic if you select the right setting.Lots of fun there dudes!
Old 06-20-2014, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by philo426 View Post
That is what is so cool about my Fender Mustang modeling amp;.What would be very unimpressive if played on an acoustic can sound fantastic if you select the right setting.Lots of fun there dudes!
Modeling amps are fun. I just picked up a Peavey Vypyr 75 off CL for really cheap. Crazy how many sounds you can get out of it.

I also just picked up my first electric, and agree that it's a whole new instrument. Really happy I picked one up, lots of fun.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:04 AM

Yes I was playing last night and accidently hit the 5th fret harmonic and discovered how Van Halen made some of those cool sounds!
Old 06-20-2014, 07:44 AM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Have to add a +1 to the Yamaha THR amps for condo living. There are a few different types, I have the THR10C (the black one) and I have to say it's one of the funnest things I've ever owned. It's versatility, for one, is extraordinary. I can plug just about anything into it and dial in a decent low volume sound. It has, I think, 5 amp 'models' in there but also a neutral setting (I tried my Yamaha 'silent' in there), an acoustic setting (I've tried everything from my nylon to my Martin HD-28V in there) and then even a bass setting. I've played my Jazz through that and even invited my bass playing friend over to try it. To say he was surprised was an understatement. Above all else, the thing about the THR is that it is FUN to play with... and that makes me pick up a guitar. Heck, I even put my main pedalboard in front of it for a while and it even took those well. There are not many products that I will unreservedly recommend, but the THR range of amps is one of them. Oh, and it has a built-in tuner. And you can plug in an iPod and play music through it (while you play along on guitar). And it has a headphone jack. And it has a USB cable for interfacing straight to a computer (and software that allows you to tweak all of it's internal settings if you so desire).

As for the electric guitar to acoustic guitar thing; I started out on electric and didn't move to acoustic for many years. The main difference, for me, is that with an overdriven electric you can 'cheat' a lot more. Clean electric, like acoustic, requires a lot more precision and clarity.
Old 06-20-2014, 02:32 PM

I was considering a Yamaha THR5A amp(Which is designed for acoustic guitars for my Ibanez AEG 20.plus one on the precision required on the clean setting.Any mis-frets and you will know it immediately !No excuses there!`
Old 06-20-2014, 03:57 PM

Re: the acoustic/electric difference - I was just thinking that it goes both ways. I can hear when a player is primarily an electric (rock) guitarist and doesn't play acoustic much. I usually hear this heavy right-hand attack that is very imprecise - like they're not hitting all the strings evenly - so it just sounds awful to me. Something about their pick angle is just not right - makes it sound like the strings are all ready to break with each stroke. There were numerous examples of this when MTV had their "Unplugged" shows back in the 90s.

But of course, there are also electric guys like Mark Knopfler and Pete Townshend who sound great on acoustic and really seem to have a feel for it. I think Townshend is a great example of how to play an acoustic loudly with a heavy attack while still retaining a beautiful tone.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:05 PM

Philo426 - how do you like the Mustang amp? I was thinking of picking one up, but I'm at a crossroads - debating whether to get a real tube amp and then start dealing with pedals and all that, or just get a Mustang and be done with it. I love that Fender Twin Reverb sound, but it's just not practical for home use.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:46 PM

I think the Mustang is great!Very versatile in both clean and overdriven modes.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars