The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 11-22-2012, 01:28 PM

Default If I'm gonna pick one, 5-string resonator banjo or a square-neck dobro?

Howdy folks,

To this day I'm still happy with the purchase of my mandolin. It's (IMHO) a perfect addition for me as a guitarist. Both in terms of skill set but also in terms of sound and versatility.

Now i"m looking to expand my country instrumentalism (if that's even a word), and looked at a banjo before. I didn't go for it. Instead I saved almost twice the cash and snatched the Taylor SolidBody Classic I now own as it was on sale.

Now I've been looking at learning dobro (square-neck) also, as there's something about it. The fluent melodies, the inherent tone, the way it's played.

I however think I could get off the ground with a banjo more easily, though. Why? Well, because it has frets and it's played with the fingers. Rolls aren't exactly what i'm used to, but they should be interesting to learn.

I also get the impression the dobro is more of a melodic instrument, whereas a banjo is more of a rhythmic one, wherte the mandolin does either very well.

This way I think it would be easier to incorporate some banjo rolls as rhythm into something, while I'd have to think up some sweet melodies first if I had to incorporate a dobro. I don't intend to make either my main instrument.

You could check out my YouTube (in my signature) so you can get a feel for what I do.

If I decide not to get either, I might save up for a 5-string bass.

What would be your choice?

CZ
Old 11-22-2012, 02:44 PM
Charter Member

The five string banjo can be played a number of ways and with quite a lot of alternative tunings. Most tend to play the five string in standard "Earl Scruggs" style with three finger rolls. Or, in the claw hammer style. It can also be played plectrum style with a flat pick. I play Scruggs style and plectrum style and either can be adapted to a wide variety of styles of music.

I would have a hard time playing the Resophonic as well, and that is why I chose guitar, banjo, and mandolin.

As for the instrument, I would highly recommend the Deering Goodtime 2 banjo. These are very nice sounding banjos for a reasonable price.

Todd
Old 11-22-2012, 03:12 PM

Hey Todd, thanks for the reply.

Do you have the Deering Goodtime 2? I looked at it before but found it expensive. A Recording King (RK-R35) is 35% less than the Goodtime 2 where I live. It's the complete opposite in the USA. I could spend a 100 more and get a mahogany resonator.

I'm also planning on playing it Scruggs style. But I could see myself using a pick as well. And, apparently that Recording King has a removable resonator, so I could go open-back and play clawhammer style (which I also think is very interesting) if I wanted to.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:27 PM
Charter Member

I do indeed have the Goodtime 2 and it's a great banjo. But, I have also owned an RK-R35 and it is overall a better banjo than the Deering. The RK has a tone ring and more of a traditional feel and sound. The Deering has it's own tone and weighs significantly less due to the lack of a tone ring. The RK will be louder and, again, more traditional bluegrass in tone.

I only own the Deering now because I use it for recording and find the Deering to be a woody, very pleasing tone for recording. It doesn't cut through a mix well (jamming) but does quite well for recording and the lack of a tone ring makes it easier to hold for longer periods (reduced weight).

If you can get the RK35 for less than the Deering, jump on it.

Todd
Old 11-22-2012, 08:04 PM

In my mind, this is your choice. A new sound, or a new instrument. Let's face it. Most acoustic guitars have high enough action for you to play it like a dobro. I know my guitars does. On the other side, a banjo would be a whole new instrument.

Point being; flip your guitar and tune it to an open tuning and you have yourself a dobro, minus the sound. Tune your guitar like a banjo, and it will be a guitar missing a string in a weird tuning.

I'd go for the banjo. You can always learn how to play a dobro/lapsteel with an ordinary guitar.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeimBrent View Post
In my mind, this is your choice. A new sound, or a new instrument. Let's face it. Most acoustic guitars have high enough action for you to play it like a dobro. I know my guitars does. On the other side, a banjo would be a whole new instrument.

Point being; flip your guitar and tune it to an open tuning and you have yourself a dobro, minus the sound. Tune your guitar like a banjo, and it will be a guitar missing a string in a weird tuning.

I'd go for the banjo. You can always learn how to play a dobro/lapsteel with an ordinary guitar.
True, and I could take my uncle's guitar and put a nut extender on it. Put on some medium gauge strings and tune it to open something.

I would be getting the dobro indeed mostly for the sound. Because in my mind it is a truly beautiful sound.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:36 PM

As a long-time guitarist who in the last few years has ventured into the mandolin/banjo/squareneck world, I'd say that in order of ease (easiest to hardest), here's what I've found in adopting these new instruments:

1) Mandolin
2) Banjo
3) Resophonic (square neck)

As a finger-stylist, I found the Banjo easy to learn ... once I got used to the fingerpicks, I have been able to become decent for what I want to play ... I am currently about 3 months into the Squareneck ... the right hand techniques came easy but the learning curve was with the slide/tonebar/steel ... took me a while just to decide on the best slide for me ... then to get smooth and accurate takes practice and feel ...

I really enjoy all of the above ... I am thorougly enjoying the Resophonic ... and since there are fewer good players of that instrument around, I can sit in with others where Banjos, Guitars and Mandolins already abound ...

Any of these require an investment of time and practice to become proficient, but each has its own enjoyment to offer ... good luck.

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 12-02-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
1) Mandolin
2) Banjo
3) Resophonic (square neck)
That's exactly how I would rank them. Mandolin is the closest to my comfort zone, while the dobro would be the furthest. It's exactly why I went for the mandolin first.

I think that I'd pick up on banjo quite easily, but it would be interesting to go for the dobro. It would drive me out of my comfort zone the most out of these 3 and the most difficult to learn (the slide). Which is also the danger, at the same time (I might give up sooner).
Old 12-05-2012, 04:48 PM

I play both squareneck and 5 string banjo (also play guitar). I'm not great at it, but I do okay on both banjo and dobro. I think that the banjo is more challenging to learn and to be good at. For me I find the dobro is the most fun when accompanying other musicians; and doing improvisations which add that unique dobro voice and character. I like both instruments and would have a hard time choosing one over the other. But if I did have to chose one, I'd lean towards the dobro...there's just something about it. And IMHO if you want to play dobro, get a real one and not flip over some guitar with a high set up. But to each his own.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firelakekid2 View Post
And IMHO if you want to play dobro, get a real one and not flip over some guitar with a high set up. But to each his own.
IMHO too.
Old 12-09-2012, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cue Zephyr View Post
True, and I could take my uncle's guitar and put a nut extender on it. Put on some medium gauge strings and tune it to open something.
That's a great way to wreck a neck - not recommended.

George
Old 12-13-2012, 12:57 AM

The first instrument I took up was the banjo. That was in 1978 when I was 13. I still play it at least every other day. Still play the same one, too...

My dad likes old time music. He saw an old Dobro made back in the thirties by the look of it and bought it for me. Nice gift, but playing that thing is a challenge.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:15 AM

Hi CZ
Im guessing that the Netherlands is similar to the UK in that there arent loads of with banjo or squarenecks to choose from, unlike the US?.
I wasin a similar position to you, had gotten into mandolin, wanted to extend. I got a couple of cheap banjos which I was unhappy with but eventually a 2nd hand Goldtone came along - they are great instruments - I now have both 4 string short scale tenor and a 5 string. Similarly with squareneck, got a cheapo - it was OK to learn on but eventually (a long eventually in fact) a 2nd hand Gold Tone Paul Beard signature came up and its fantastic too. The Wecter Scheerhorns are good too.
I'd say save up some mor and get both , and no - nut extenders are not a great substtitute to a proper squareneck, I tried that too!
Good luck with it.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Charter Member

Hi, I an a flat-top guitarist who has played bluegrass mandolin and dobro over masny years.

donlt think for a moment that Dobro (squareneck) is anything lke a guitar. It requires its own approach and sympatico.

Also whilst it has to be played by ear, for accuracvy, it also needs hand-eye coordination. Pretty much every sise you have is required ...apart from smell I guess.

You wildn't use a float-pick on a 5 string and whilst there is one VERY notable exception - one doesn;t use them on dobro.

Frankly I'd determine what your musical direction is before settling on another instrumwent.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 PM

Alright, musical djrection. I love country and bluegrass. But I want the instrument to be able to step out of that a little. Now, the mandolin does this quite well. I reckon a dobro would do it just a little better than the banjo. Is that true in your experience? I'd like to be able to use it a bit outside said genres for some tasteful melodic lines to complement the music.

EDIT: I know it's in the fingers, but there's only so much they can do.
A nut extender probably would be fine to try a few things but I understand it wouldn't suffice for serious learning.

As for the instrument, I've heard great things about Recording King, both on their RK-R35 resonator banjo, and their cheapest all-solid wood guitar. Heck, even the most expensive part-laminated model. So I'm pretty certain that their resonators/dobros will be nice too. I think what makes it cheaper is the fact it doesn't need level and accurately spaced frets, or playable action.

Last edited by Cue Zephyr; 01-04-2013 at 09:41 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments