The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-16-2021, 01:21 PM

Default Looking for warm, subtle polish on acoustic

I play a small body cedar top Seagull with a K&K mini and D'Addario flat tops, with my fingers without fingernails or with a thick pick, into a Fishman Loudbox Mini Charge. In both my playing style and my tone I aspire to sound like Bill Frisell. I realize his signature sound is on electric, but I'm looking to emulate the feel of his sound on acoustic. Any interesting but subtle pedal recommendations are welcome. Thanks in advance for any help!

I have, and am very much still getting to know: LR Baggs Para DI, Boss GE7, Little Big Muff, Boss RV6, Cali76 Compact Deluxe, Tube Screamer.

I'm open to getting a different amp for effects/distortion. I'm not sure if acoustic amps should have effects or distortion put through them.
Old 03-17-2021, 06:11 AM

Sure, an acoustic amp would be ok if you were looking to use pedals.

you wont harm your loud box with any of that. I'd just try not to overload the input stage, so keep your levels on the pedals close to unity setting as possible
(meaning your guitar will be as loud bypassed as when pedals are engaged)
Old 03-17-2021, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
Sure, an acoustic amp would be ok if you were looking to use pedals.

you wont harm your loud box with any of that. I'd just try not to overload the input stage, so keep your levels on the pedals close to unity setting as possible
(meaning your guitar will be as loud bypassed as when pedals are engaged)
Thank you, that gives me peace of mind. I did ask Fishman and they said that both the paper speaker cone and the battery in the amp could be replaced. Feels good investing in something that can be tinkered with and repaired if anything DOES go wrong.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:41 AM

yea, definitely all that is fixable if needed but you should need to worry about that.

I don't have charge, so not sure about the battery.

as I mentioned, set the output levels of your pedals so that are not adding a lot move volume/boost. "unity setting" where you match the output levels so that when the pedal is engaged, all you're getting is the effect, and not a lot of "boost" in volume.

That will help to keep the signal from clipping,, (aka distorting in a bad way) and protect the speaker from blowing.
Old 03-20-2021, 05:31 AM

as far as pedal reccomendations
I would look at the hx stomp
by line 6. Also There.is a box
out there designed to be used
with pedal steel. Its called
the Sarno Black Box. it has
a 12ax7 tube in it. as far
as i can tell it has impedance matching capabilities and adds a subtle warmth sadly lacking in todays
digital rhelm..I use one on
my acoustic board. if it broke
id buy another. It has to be the first
thing your guitar plugs into.
Funny, in reading the title to this thread, i was going
to reccomend Lemon Pledge.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification