The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-25-2010, 03:15 PM

I use extra lights. I have a short scale guitar, so they make playing it easier.
Old 07-25-2010, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Misty…
Capability for mediums resides in most guitar, they are not mandated though - not even for optimum tone...that very much depends on playing style of players, the height of the action, and the design/construction of the guitar itself.
Completely agree, Larry. My statement was an attempt to address the concern that using medium strings was harmful to a dreadnought guitar, which they're not of course. And by extension, any gauge south of mediums would not be harmful either.

It certainly was not my intention to suggest that medium strings are mandated for dreads. Though I believe many are tonally optimized by the use of mediums (I know my heavily built 1976 D-18 is), they can certainly sound great with lighter gauges. As I said in my post, my HD-35 with its lightly braced top responds optimally to my ears with lights, which is the gauge I use.

So you're right, it's a guitar by guitar and ear by ear situation. Thanks for helping to clarify my message. Dave
Old 03-02-2017, 09:21 PM

Sorry to dredge up an old thread.

After a few years of self-experimentation and reading up older threads, I feel I have to add to this: Lights or Mediums for your dreadnought ?

1) Extra Lights gauge 11s = sounds good, easy to play, but you are not hearing the guitar. You are hearing the strings. So, string type and quality is imperative for the tone you'll get.

2) Light gauge 12s = string type and brand is important. But again, you will not hear the fullness of the dreadnought. More like 50/50 string tone and guitar tone. So, string choice makes a difference.

3) Medium gauge 13s = no matter what string brand or type you use, you'll hear your guitar's unique tone. String quality or type, will help blend to your own taste. But only 13s can vibrate the back and sides freely.
Old 03-02-2017, 10:15 PM

I keep lights on my D42 and mediums on my HD28V. The D42 sounds better with mediums but I need at least one guitar with lights so that when I've laid off for awhile, I have an inspiring guitar to pick up when my fingertips are weak. The D42 still sounds great with lights, it just sounds even better with mediums.
Baby Taylor (spruce)
La Patrie Concert (cedar/mahogany)
Assorted Strats and Teles
Old 03-02-2017, 11:01 PM

I have used EJ16s or Gibson Masterbuilt 12-53 on my J45 love the tone and the feel of the strings . Also my new Martin came with SP Lifespan 12-53 strings and I must say I love them I might even try them on the J45 . For me as a 100% fingerstyle player mediums would be too heavy for me I use them on my GSMini but that's due to the scale lenth
Yamaha SLG200S
Yamaha NTX1200R
Taylor GSMiniE Rosewood
Joe Brown Uke
AER Compact 60
Marshall AS50D

Now 100% Acoustic and loving it ! No more GAS
Old 03-02-2017, 11:06 PM

Well I have gone back and forth on my Dreads with medium vs light gauge strings, however I just discovered some wonderful strings that changed everything for me. ThomasStik Infeld Plectrum 112s, 59-12 and they give me that low end I like plus the rich and not brassy high end sparkle too. Quite frankly they tune up better and last longer than any other string sets I've used. More expensive, yes, worth it? YES. I'm now using the Plectrum 111s on my Waterloo Stella Deluxe (a 12 fret guitar) and to my amazement, they made that ladder braced guitar sound like an X braced guitar. Ok, the decay is still shorter but the sound is richer.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
Well I have gone back and forth on my Dreads with medium vs light gauge strings, however I just discovered some wonderful strings that changed everything for me. ThomasStik Infeld Plectrum 112s, 59-12 and they give me that low end I like plus the rich and not brassy high end sparkle too. Quite frankly they tune up better and last longer than any other string sets I've used. More expensive, yes, worth it? YES. I'm now using the Plectrum 111s on my Waterloo Stella Deluxe (a 12 fret guitar) and to my amazement, they made that ladder braced guitar sound like an X braced guitar. Ok, the decay is still shorter but the sound is richer.
Ahhhhhhh!!!! Thanks for that.

I was looking into that too. Can you tell me what color the strings are? Brassy or sliver?
Old 03-02-2017, 11:25 PM

They are a brass color but a bit lighter color wise, also with less squeak when working up and down the neck. There are some flat wounds in there but I can't remember which are and aren't. I believe it's the A,D and G that are flat wound.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:31 PM

Quote:
They are a brass color but a bit lighter color wise, also with less squeak when working up and down the neck. There are some flat wounds in there but I can't remember which are and aren't. I believe it's the A,D and G that are flat wound.
I can't seem to find ThomasStik Infeld Plectrum 112s, 59-12

Is this the same? THOMASTIK PLECTRUM AC112 12-59 BRONZE ACOUSTIC GUITAR STRING SET. There is no 's' after the 112.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:41 PM

Yes, that's it. Anyway, the are designed differently, with less tension and just feel and sound better to me. The AC112s are the ones.

Last edited by Looburst; 03-02-2017 at 11:47 PM.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Yes, that's it. I think I'm wrong about the flat wound strings, I've looked at so many of their offerings. Anyway, the are designed differently, with less tension and just feel and sound better to me. The AC112s are the ones.
Thanks man, I'm definitely trying it this weekend. Don't try Optima Gold. They are terrific when new but die after 5 mins. What a shame for such a nice set strings. I hope the Thomasik will last longer.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerardo1000 View Post
I wonder how many prefer to use light gauge strings on their dreadnought and why ? And why mediums ? I have a new Martin MMV with Elixir Medium and I wonder if it would lose some power and tonal quality if I switch to light strings?
hi Gerardo

I use .011 (Custom light) strings on my 1992-93 Olson Dreadnought - EIR/Cedar and I replace the 1st string with an .012 for the sake of more uniform tone between strings 1-2.

I do this because it has more than enough volume for my fingerstyling, and it has the best balanced tone with me playing it with this weight of strings.

All the rest of my guitars (a mini-jumbo and 2 OMs) all are strung with .012 and then first string is replaced with a .013 (same reason as the Olson).

I don't lose tone, nor power this way on the Olson…it has tone and power to spare.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 03-03-2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cspencer View Post
Thanks man, I'm definitely trying it this weekend. Don't try Optima Gold. They are terrific when new but die after 5 mins. What a shame for such a nice set strings. I hope the Thomasik will last longer.
I had changed my initial post concerning the flat wound strings, I was right after all. The A,D and G are flat wound and make less noise overall when played up and down the neck. Because I do a lot of this type of playing, they're ideal for me.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:19 AM

Lights.
Mediums sound better, but lights are less tension/stress on neck and soundboard.

I want my guitars to last as long as possible without a neck reset or major work.
Lights are also less stress on my old hands, fingers and nails.
Old 03-03-2017, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tico View Post
Lights.
Meds sound better, but lights are less tension/stress on neck and soundboard.

I want my guitars to last as long as possible without a neck reset or major work.
Totally agree. As someone said above it's easier on the fingers after laying off for awhile. I actually had a Martin top crinkled at the heel. Luckily Martin took it back and gave me another. I tend to go back and forth between 80/20, PB, Light/Medium 0.125 and now Medium. Then back to lights

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion