The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 03-12-2009, 01:14 PM

Default Zoom H4 vs Zoom H4n

Newbie to recording here. I just want to sit in my room and record my poor guitar skills and horrible voice and transfer that to my computer (Dell with Vista) for the possibility of torturing any forumites who may be foolish enough to listen. My 2004 810ce is the only one of my guitars with electronics.

I've searched the archives and it appears the Zoom H4 may be a good simple solution. I saw the comment that the Zoom H4n is coming out so I did a little search and it looks like H4 are selling for 2.75 bills, and H4n 4 bills. Given what I want to do, is there any reason to get the H4n.

Where I play, I'm not near my computer, although I could play at my computer, I figure my best chance at capturing anything palatable is to just have it out while I'm playing in my usual spot to minimize the pressure (I exude confidence don't I?)

Maybe there is something cheaper that I could use for simple recordings?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

R

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page

Last edited by Ranger1964; 03-12-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:52 PM

The H2 will do what you describe as well as, and possibly a bit better than, the H4. You didn't mention overdubbing, which is possilble with the H4 and H4n, not natively on the H2.

All these units can be connected to your computer and used as an audio interface. In this mode you use the built-in mics (or attach mics to the H4/H4n), preamp, and a/d but record directly to your computer hard disk.

I would choose the H4n over the H4 because it feels more rugged and you can record four tracks simultaneously using the internal and external mics. The H4n also has an easier to read screen, a slightly simpler user interface, and a monitor speaker.

But I would select the H2 for the use you describe. It's more compact, easier to stand on a convenient flat surface without any mounting device, provides extremely decent recording quality, and it's bucks cheaper.

The H4/H4n come with Cubase LE audio software, but you can download Audacity and use it without any payment, or download Reaper and use it without restrictions until you're ready to register for a very reasonable cost.

I've done a comparison of the H4n, the H2, and two other recording systems for my Home Brewed Music blog:

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...-the-zoom-h4n/

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 03-12-2009, 03:21 PM

Thanks man! After I posted my question I began wondering if the H2 would work. My M.O. is to WAAAAAY over buy on tech items and then use about 10% of the features that I "had to have". I like the price of the H2 also. Wait until I tell my son I'm looking at H2s he'll think I'm talking about an SUV.

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 03-13-2009, 06:58 AM

I just ordered the H2. Cover your ears!

Ranger's Soundclick page

Roy's Reverbnation page
Old 01-01-2010, 03:22 PM

Fran, thank you for the extensive comparison review of H2 and H2n. Exactly what I needed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
The H2 will do what you describe as well as, and possibly a bit better than, the H4. You didn't mention overdubbing, which is possilble with the H4 and H4n, not natively on the H2.

All these units can be connected to your computer and used as an audio interface. In this mode you use the built-in mics (or attach mics to the H4/H4n), preamp, and a/d but record directly to your computer hard disk.

I would choose the H4n over the H4 because it feels more rugged and you can record four tracks simultaneously using the internal and external mics. The H4n also has an easier to read screen, a slightly simpler user interface, and a monitor speaker.

But I would select the H2 for the use you describe. It's more compact, easier to stand on a convenient flat surface without any mounting device, provides extremely decent recording quality, and it's bucks cheaper.

The H4/H4n come with Cubase LE audio software, but you can download Audacity and use it without any payment, or download Reaper and use it without restrictions until you're ready to register for a very reasonable cost.

I've done a comparison of the H4n, the H2, and two other recording systems for my Home Brewed Music blog:

http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...-the-zoom-h4n/

Fran
Old 01-01-2010, 05:27 PM
some guy from NY

just as a reference, the H4n has an easier, slightly more intuitive interface.
I love the H4 /H4N because I can connect my condenser mics and use it as the A/D converter. But I've heard some H2 recordings and they sound great. Does H2 come with Cubase LE4 too? I like that software.
Old 01-01-2010, 06:26 PM

I think the ZOOM H2 will fit your needs. I really like the simplicity of the H2. I used to record using a BOSS BR-8, but I would find that I would spend more time tweaking the knobs than I would actually playing music.

listen to my LKSM 12 string into the H2 here
http://www.youtube.com/cflanger#p/c/797EAEED155A4D4D

Chris
Old 01-01-2010, 06:27 PM

sorry, disregard, I just saw that you ordered it.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:52 AM

I'm sure you've made a good choice - the Zoom H2 will do a fine job in the application you described. I use one to record my local art group.

However, there's no doubt that the Zoom H4n achieves higher audio quality - you get better detail and stereo imaging from its internal mics and if you use external condensers with it you can easily achieve studio quality. The downside, of course, is that it costs quite a lot more.

Paul

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell