The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-23-2017, 01:02 PM

Default If I had to sell all but one...

If I had to sell all my electrics and could only keep just one, my answer surprises even me. It would be my Epiphone Dot (335).

I've got a lot of great guitars including a Gibson LP numbered, limited edition, a Chibson LP, 4 Strats including a MIA Deluxe and a '96 Tele. But the one guitar that can cover it all is the Epi Dot.

I got this guitar (in mint condition) for a straight up trade for a '99 Squier Strat SE. I'd considered a real 335 but even used they are up in the $2000+ range. So I got this Dot off of CL, crazily enough for a straight up trade for my old Squier. It hangs on my wall and every time I pick it up and plug it in I will ask myself what I'm missing from a Gibson 335. Honestly, very little. Of course, side-by-side the Gibson is a "better" guitar, but you'd have to compare them side by side to tell.

I have done a couple small mods to it. I've rolled the fingerboard edges for comfort and made sure the fret ends were nice and round. And I've taken off that silly looking, attention grabbing "E" sticker on the pickguard. It's amazing what a few small tweaks will do. I must have gotten a "good one" because I had the opportunity to upgrade to the "pro" model, but mine just felt better than the other similar Epi 335's I tried.

So in all it's glory...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Epi_Dot.jpg (94.7 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg Epi_noE_sm.jpg (31.1 KB, 174 views)
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 11-23-2017, 01:40 PM

I'd keep my Gretsch.......

[IMG][/IMG]
Guild F-2512 Deluxe CE
Ibanez Acoustic Bass 12 M1
Martin 12 string X Series
Harley Benton Telecaster
EVH Wolfgang

Formerly known as Martin Maniac.....

M
Old 11-23-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Maniac View Post
I'd keep my Gretsch.......

[IMG][/IMG]
My first good guitar as a kid was a Gretsch Country Gentleman. I sold it in '96 to finance a piccolo for my daughter. At the time I wasn't playing it at all. I had a choice back in '66 and the two choices were 330/335 and the Gretsch. At the time George Harrison was photographed with the Gretsch so that's what influenced me. If I'd bought the Gibson I might still have it.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 11-23-2017, 04:44 PM
Charter Member

I only have one electric so I really hope it does not come to that !!!!
Maybe I better get a few more

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 11-23-2017, 06:01 PM

A very easy choice for me. A Vietnamese-made Peavey Raptor Plus Exp that cost my daughter Oz$65 as a Christmas present from the local hock shop. I have modded it a fair bit, but it only weighs 5 1/4 lb, and the neck and frets are fine.

Since taking that pic I have taken the cover off the humbucker and removed two of the screw poles from the P90.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:12 AM

I've got three electrics and I don't plan to part with any of them.

However if I had to sell and keep only one then it would have to be my Fender Telecaster. (Blonde, black guard, maple finger board complete with Bigsby).
Old 11-25-2017, 07:21 AM
Charter Member

I've owned a ton of electrics in many different makes and models, and own 6 as of right now. If I could only keep one it would be my basic Mexican Telecaster. It is an outstanding guitar, and I like it as much as any electric I have ever owned.

And OP, the Epiphone dot is a fine instrument. A friend of mine has one and I have played it many times during live shows. In fact, I am playing it in my avatar picture, though you can't really tell. It is a great guitar.
Old 11-25-2017, 07:24 AM

I'm not sure if I could go down to 1. If I had to thin the herd, I could probably live with my modded Taylor T3/B (with Lollartrons and Stellartone), my H-S-S Kramer Pacer Deluxe with a coil splitter, Stambaugh Nashville B-Bender, and Ibanez RG Prestige 7 string.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
I'm not sure if I could go down to 1. If I had to thin the herd, I could probably live with my modded Taylor T3/B (with Lollartrons and Stellartone), my H-S-S Kramer Pacer Deluxe with a coil splitter, Stambaugh Nashville B-Bender, and Ibanez RG Prestige 7 string.
Same here. But I'd keep my '99 Gibson Les Paul Standard Plus.
Old 11-25-2017, 01:21 PM

This 2014 1957 Les Paul Reissue is probably the best sounding electric I have. It is the rare modern Les Paul with a great sounding neck pickup....

You can hear how well it blends with my acoustic guitars in this song where I play a solo with it @ 2:44

Old 11-25-2017, 03:45 PM

no way! too many different sounds coming out of the different guitars.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 11-25-2017, 05:03 PM

I would hate to sell my electrics but if I could only keep one it would have to be the Lucille.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
No way! Too many different sounds coming out of the different guitars...
- and we haven't even touched on the amps yet...
Old 11-25-2017, 06:54 PM
Guitar Gourmet

If I could only keep one I'd keep two. Typical.

My wife gave me this Gibson ES-335 in 2007 and it has become my main squeeze at home and at the studio:

And this, a 1974 Les Paul Standard, was my only electric for over twenty years and represents a whole lot of miles, smiles, and memories. We've been together for forty years at this point and I couldn't count the number of times I was ready to sell it to handle a family financial crisis but my wife wouldn't let me:

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 11-25-2017, 07:06 PM
Charter Member

No way! Even if I were to sell two per year I will probably be long gone before I run out guitars. I love every one of them. At my age why would I get rid of them! I have sold about 15 in the last year and the rest are keepers. -- Darwin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars