The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-05-2015, 07:17 PM

Question Installing Baggs Element pickup- first timer!

I'm going to install a baggs element pickup in my Webber. It will be my first time installing a pickup, from scratch (including drilling the hole for the jack). Any advice/hints?? It doesn't look like it will be that difficult, but it never hurts to get help from pro's and experienced installers :-)

Pete

"Where the Spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art."
Leonardo da Vinci
Old 02-05-2015, 07:48 PM

Test drill on a piece of finished scrap wood. Does your pick up have an under saddle pickup?? If yes, be careful drilling the wire hole in the saddle slot.

I often route the wires with only one clip on the bass side of the guitar, just below the top lining. The wires can be cleanly routed from endpin jack to clip to destination with aservice loop hooked on the clip as necessary.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 02-05-2015, 08:56 PM

Here are some thoughts:
- Baggs asks for a 1/2" bit, but If you have a 15/32" (or 12mm) it's a tighter fit and might keep the jack from getting loose as easily.
- When you drill the hole through the saddle slot, it'll either be a 1/8" or 3/32"
- Drill the saddle slot hole at a slight angle so the pickup wire doesn't bend 90deg. Then smooth the sharp edge off of the hole you drilled so it doesn't dig into the pickup.
- When you drill the hole through the saddle slot, make sure the X brace isn't in the way on the underside. I've drilled through the brace before.
- Make the wiring neat. I don't like to see wires when I look into the sound hole. I attach most of the clips to the sidewall just below the top kerfing.
- Get some 3M mounting tape (I use the 5lb stuff) and replace the little adhesive pads on the clips if they don't stick the first time (cleaning the wood first helps).
Old 02-05-2015, 10:57 PM

Very helpful. Thanks, guys. I think I'll try the project on Saturday. All advice is appreciated!

Leonardo da Vinci
Old 02-05-2015, 11:27 PM

Take your time. Look it all over few times before going all the way in.
There is a great Youtube tutorial that shows MiSi Trio being installed - Element piezo pickup with MiSi capacitor on the endpin - no need for batteries.
Cover the top of the guitar with the cloth, and around the bridge with some blue painters tape, just in case.
Once you are done you will ask yourself what else you can do .
Old 02-06-2015, 02:53 PM

Good advice so far. The Baggs Element was my first PUP install as well. The installation instructions that Baggs provides are pretty good. Read them several times until they make sense to you. I strongly recommend using a 1/2" Forstner bit to drill the hole for the endpin jack. This will avoid damage to the finish that you will experience with a twist bit. And when locating the hole for the UST in the end of the saddle slot be sure to check the bracing underneath so you do not drill into it. Remember you may need to sand the bottom of the saddle to accommodate the thickness of the piezo ribbon to maintain the same action. Work slowly, measure carefully, and you will end up with a totally satisfying project!

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12

Last edited by Fire&Rain; 02-06-2015 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire&Rain View Post
...I strongly recommend using a 1/2" Forstner bit to drill the hole for the endpin jack. This will avoid damage to the finish that you will experience with a twist bit. ...
I can see why you say that, but If you are enlarging an already drilled hole, a step bit works better. Hard to center a forstner bit that way.

Old 02-06-2015, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnjp View Post
I can see why you say that, but If you are enlarging an already drilled hole, a step bit works better. Hard to center a forstner bit that way.
Agreed! Presently, a step bit is my tool of choice, but I have drilled successfully chip free with spade bits as well.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 02-07-2015, 02:44 PM

I did it! I think everything worked out great. Thanks for all your help. Ready to do another one :-)

Leonardo da Vinci
Old 02-07-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prusaw View Post
I did it! I think everything worked out great. Thanks for all your help. Ready to do another one :-)
Good stuff!! The feeling of accomplishment at successfully completing a task that one was nervous about to begin with Just can't be beat!!

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair