The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-04-2015, 08:08 AM

Default Nut cutting files

I'm engaged in fix up project on cheapo electric guitar that I got as part of a package deal on a child sized guitar I wanted for my grandson. The guitar in question is a Fender Strat clone w/a broken nut. I bought a nut for that fits, but needs the string slots cut. It does the places for each slot pre located but very shallow. This is likely a one time project for me as I always have such work on my guitars done by a pro. But this cheapie isn't worth that expense.
What I'd like to find out is if there are any cheap alternatives to buying guitar nut cutting files. Which I see run in the $50. range. I'm not wanting to spend that much. Just looking for something that I can work much cheaper.
Old 02-04-2015, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatstrat View Post
I'm engaged in fix up project on cheapo electric guitar that I got as part of a package deal on a child sized guitar I wanted for my grandson. The guitar in question is a Fender Strat clone w/a broken nut. I bought a nut for that fits, but needs the string slots cut. It does the places for each slot pre located but very shallow. This is likely a one time project for me as I always have such work on my guitars done by a pro. But this cheapie isn't worth that expense.
What I'd like to find out is if there are any cheap alternatives to buying guitar nut cutting files. Which I see run in the $50. range. I'm not wanting to spend that much. Just looking for something that I can work much cheaper.
Before specialized "nut slot files" there existed needle files. A small set of needle files will cost you about 10 bucks. You can use the triangle, round, and even the edge of the half-round and flat files for thicker strings. Using these files requires a bit more care to make certain the string sits properly in the bottom of the slot. (For example, if you cut only with a triangle file, the thicker strings, being round and not triangular, will not seat on the bottom of the triangular slot. You'll have to touch up with another file.)

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia
Old 02-04-2015, 08:41 AM

It would be kind of time consuming, but you could remove material from the bottom of the nut until it sits right for string depth then you don't need the files. Some fenders have a curved surface where the nut sits so if that is the case it would be much harder, but could be done.
Old 02-04-2015, 09:05 AM

Here ya go: http://www.ebay.com/itm/TEKTON-6655-...item51ca29bbd0
Old 02-04-2015, 09:10 AM

A pencil, cut in half lengthways and laid on the frets, will mark the maximum depth of the string slots. The height of the nut needs to be little more than half the thickness of the sixth string above that. Less for the unwound strings although absolute precision is not essential in the nut height.

The slots can be cut with ordinary needle files if you have them. In the past I have used a junior hacksaw blade with the set taken off. Some reading that might interest you.

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...nutaction.html

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Luth...ut/setnut.html

http://www.frets.com/FretsPages/Musi...uts/nuts1.html
Old 02-04-2015, 09:24 AM

Thanks guys.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:45 PM

Gas welding tip cleaners or "drills". Usually come in a little fold out set like some allen wrenches do. They are round and have a rasp cut into them and come with a multitude of diameters that should cover most guitar string sizes. Can find a whole set for between 2 and 5 bucks!
Bedell TB-28G
Guild GAD M20 NA
Michael Kelly V65 SP
Tacoma PM20
Alvarez AP70
Old 02-10-2015, 04:10 PM

For a one-off project, you can use some left over wound guitar strings (E-A-D-G) to deepen shallow nut slots.

Martin D-15M
Taylor 420 Maple
Alvarez MD80
Alvarez MD80/12
Old 08-20-2020, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Milburn View Post
Before specialized "nut slot files" there existed needle files. A small set of needle files will cost you about 10 bucks. You can use the triangle, round, and even the edge of the half-round and flat files for thicker strings. Using these files requires a bit more care to make certain the string sits properly in the bottom of the slot. (For example, if you cut only with a triangle file, the thicker strings, being round and not triangular, will not seat on the bottom of the triangular slot. You'll have to touch up with another file.)
so what u r saying is triangle files are bad and round files are the best to keep string in the bottom of the groove?

THX

Tony

Yamaha FSX800C
Old 08-20-2020, 07:20 PM
Charter Member

I used needle files for years. Now I have specialized nut files. I think that my life has improved. YMMV.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:29 PM
Charter Member

I just ran into a deal on eBay that is a tool bag with guitar maintenance tools for something like $14. It has nut files in it along with other more normal guitar tools.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 08-21-2020, 07:13 AM

the cheap nut files (or what ever they actually are called) are not quite small enough to take care of slots for 9 10 11 gauge strings treble strings.

There is no file in these sets that will properly work the E and B string slots
plus they are flimsy and quite hard to use.

Philadelphia Luther has file sets for around 60 bucks. which is around half of what you'd pay at stew mac. and they are pretty good quality. A bit of a reach unless one has a lot of guitars, or pretty regularly sells and buys.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair