The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 11-30-2017, 09:44 AM
Charter Member

Default Valerie Turner's lesson book

Is anyone else familiar with "Piedmont Style Country Blues Guitar Basics" which is a 2017 release by Valerie Turner?

I'd like to recommend it to anyone new to fingerpicking. The arrangements are somewhat simpler than other sources I've tried, and there are lots of classic tunes to learn. And the book itself is a work of art. You can also download her recordings of the tunes (no video). I like it very much. http://www.piedmontbluz.com/

The songs taught are: Buck Dance, Candy Man (RGD), Coffee Blues, Do Lord Remember Me, Freight Train, Going Down the Road Feeling Bad, Goodnight Irene, I Shall Not Be Moved, I've Got the Blues and I Can’t Be Satisfied, I Will Turn Your Money Green, Just As Well Get Ready You Got to Die, Key to the Highway, Louis Collins, My Creole Belle, Nobody Cares for Me, Railroad Bill, Richland Women Blues, Shake That Thing, Spike Driver Blues, Stagolee, Sugar Babe It's All Over Now, Walkin' Blues, and When Death Come Creeping in Your Room.

Last edited by reeve21; 11-30-2017 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-30-2017, 12:09 PM

I've just ordered it -- thanks for pointing that out. She gave a class at Gryphon in Palo Alto (California) in October. Sorry I missed it.
Old 11-30-2017, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCA View Post
I've just ordered it -- thanks for pointing that out. She gave a class at Gryphon in Palo Alto (California) in October. Sorry I missed it.
Hi Jim,

Great, let us know how you like it.

I didn't mention, but you may have gleaned from the song titles, that she is really into Mississippi John Hurt, which is what made me want the book. She also studied with Woody Mann and John Cephas....'nuff said

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write