The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-24-2017, 01:29 PM

Question Question of key.

Has anyone access to Andrew York's "Eight Discernments," the beginners' pieces I am using to guide my move into classical playing? While both "Willow" and "Snowflight" are clearly marked as in the key of "G," that doesn't seem to be the end of the story. Are they written in a modal scale? And let me admit to my abilities, simpler answers would be the more appropriate.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:18 AM
Charter Member

Hi,
I just downloaded and briefly went through Willow and Snowflight.
From what I can determine, Willow is indeed in G, but Snowflight is not. It's in its relative minor (Em), although it hints at a major key at the start.
(Note: Same key signature for both G and Em, with one sharp (F#).)
Both go in and out of minor/major modulation, and the use of accidentals may be introducing some modal flavor into it, but for the most part, I would say you're dealing with two interesting pieces, one in G the other in Em.

Last comment: Good on you to pick these kinds of pieces to ease yourself into classical guitar. Andrew York is great for this imo.

EDIT: Looking at each piece again, I would say that as each piece starts and progresses, the key id is somewhat ambiguous, perhaps intentionally so, but then they do resolve solidly in G (Willow) and Em (Snowflight) resp. So there is more to these musically than at first glance. The root note, or tonic, only emerges clearly at the end.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann

Last edited by Gitfiddlemann; 11-26-2017 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 11-26-2017, 12:50 PM

Default Thank you.

Thanks Andre. I hope the research and thought you gave the matter will repay you in the currency of an interesting music you might have missed.

And, perhaps, imaging an old fool beginner trying to decipher a piece that starts on a second and then an accidental, though not in a "pick-up measure," gives you an entertaining story. I'm certainly having fun. I believe, for the most part, the Spanish/ Italian canon for beginners is based on chords recognizable to folk guitarists. York's work is making me think more broadly.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I hope the research and thought you gave the matter will repay you in the currency of an interesting music you might have missed.
Indeed! Thanks.
And with winter around the corner, why not attempt a Snowflight courtesy of Andrew York!

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical