The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-03-2015, 08:13 PM

Default Low E tuning machine is binding -- how to fix?

As stated, my low E tuning machine is binding on a relatively new Martin 000-15sm. I don't particularly like these tuners and am considering swapping them out. But, in the mean time, is there a particular way to diagnose this and possibly fix it?

I should note that it doesn't bind when unloaded but when stringing up that tuner, the powered winding tool cannot overcome the resistance and when it's at tune, I cannot budge it very easily by hand.

I cannot see sending this guitar in on warranty over this.

BTW, these are three on a plate and the guitar is a slot head.

Any and all input appreciated.

Thanks up front!!
Old 02-04-2015, 08:49 AM

Does it make a sound when tuning, i have had the string stick in the nut slot so bad it made turning the machine very hard.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:58 AM

Quote:
It is usually not necessary to send in a guitar for this. Just contact Martin, and they should send you a new tuner.
Alternately, contact Stewart MacDonald, who appears to be the supplier:

http://www.stewmac.com/Hardware_and_..._Bell-end.html
Old 02-04-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by email4eric View Post
As stated, my low E tuning machine is binding on a relatively new Martin 000-15sm. I don't particularly like these tuners and am considering swapping them out. But, in the mean time, is there a particular way to diagnose this and possibly fix it?

I should note that it doesn't bind when unloaded but when stringing up that tuner, the powered winding tool cannot overcome the resistance and when it's at tune, I cannot budge it very easily by hand.

BTW, these are three on a plate and the guitar is a slot head.

Any and all input appreciated.

Thanks up front!!
were it mine i'd take that plate off and see what's rubbing in the peg head hole. maybe the shaft is binding when loaded under tension. maybe you can use some sort of "low impact" dry lubricant in the hole. look at the gearing too. make sure everything is neat with no excessive looseness nor wear on the teeth.

Last edited by arie; 02-04-2015 at 01:04 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arie View Post
were it mine i'd take that plate off and see what's rubbing in the peg head hole. maybe the shaft is binding when loaded under tension. maybe you can use some sort of "low impact" dry lubricant in the hole. look at the gearing too. make sure everything is neat with no excessive looseness too nor wear on the teeth.
I agree with this. Also tuning machines are not difficult to dismantle. Usually a single screw holds the cog against the worm. Remove this, clean the cog and worm and reassemble. I have some molybdenum grease and lubricate with that. Graphite, pencil lead, with ordinary grease will work as well.
Old 02-04-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
I agree with this. Also tuning machines are not difficult to dismantle. Usually a single screw holds the cog against the worm. Remove this, clean the cog and worm and reassemble. I have some molybdenum grease and lubricate with that. Graphite, pencil lead, with ordinary grease will work as well.
true. the gearset could use some clean, discreet lube. i've also used candle wax on the bore in which the tuner post runs in. these can bind occasionally and you really don't want to squirt oil or grease in the hole imo.

in the end though it's really hard to diagnose these kinda things on the internet. best to have them in the hands.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:46 PM

Thanks so much, folks! Very much appreciated. I'll dig into this in the manner suggested.

Cheers

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair