The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 09-26-2011, 12:07 PM

Default My first dent on my new guitar *Paranoia*

So just a few hours ago I dropped a remote control on my brand new Yamaha FG730S soundboard by accident and it left a very small dent/ding...

Can a small dent turn into a crack? I'm not sure if whether it only affected the finish or the wood itself...

Aesthetically, I'll get over it, but, my paranoia tells me it's gonna turn into a huge *** crack that will ruin the sound D:
Old 09-26-2011, 01:10 PM

I wouldn't worry about a crack, and you might be able to get the dent out with a little moisture. Try a slightly-damp rag. Moisture will cause the grain to expand a bit.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 09-26-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
I wouldn't worry about a crack, and you might be able to get the dent out with a little moisture. Try a slightly-damp rag. Moisture will cause the grain to expand a bit.
What do I do with the rag? hold it on the dent?
Old 09-26-2011, 01:31 PM

Yes, see if you can get the dented area to raise back up with a little moisture.

Some people use heat too:
http://www.frets.com/fretspages/luth...steamout1.html

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 09-26-2011, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitnoob View Post
Yes, see if you can get the dented area to raise back up with a little moisture.

Some people use heat too:
http://www.frets.com/fretspages/luth...steamout1.html
I don't think I'd bother doing that since I don't have the proper tools!

You sure the moisture thing works? The dent isn't as "clean" (nor as big) as the ones in the link, it looks like it "collapsed" with scratch/"cracks".
Old 09-26-2011, 03:07 PM

If the fibers of the wood are crushed/compressed, rather than torn or severed, then it works very well.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:17 PM

You might want to just live with the slight visual imerfection. Raising grain on a finished top is a lot more problematic than on one without finish. I deal with dents a lot more often than I care to in the process of building. Steaming out dents in raw tops has never been a problem. However, just one coat of sealer makes steaming out a dent considerably more difficult. In your case, with water and heat, you might end up raising the grain around the dent as well as the compressed grain beneath the dent, and end up raising the finish as well as the surrounding grain.

However, if you do decided to try a bit of water, I'd recommend using distilled to avoid any potential staining problem--only a slight chance of that, but still a chance.
Old 09-26-2011, 04:45 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Take a mirror and see if it has any visual damage inside. IF it does a inexpensive cleat will take care of it. If not enjoy the dent as a mark that it is yours. Thats what I told myself 3 days after dropping $3k on my Country Boy then I dinged her.
Old 09-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Charter Member

Perfect guitars are ding magnets - figure that you've demagnetized it, and enjoy it -
Old 01-31-2015, 03:06 PM

I've had my FG730S for many years and just yesterday hit the soundboard on a door handle and put my first dent in it. I don't think it damaged the wood and unless you are looking for it and hold it in the light just right it is hard to see.

Since I've been so careful I'm a little upset about the ding but this thread reinforced my thinking it's probably best to just forget about it and move on instead of trying to do anything with it.

Last edited by bsktgrvy; 01-31-2015 at 03:07 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-31-2015, 03:44 PM

Default At Least

At least YOU did it , and it wasn't a $5000+ Guitar . You can always find another 730S . reason I have 4 . Recent gig a Fat fella wanted to play one of my 730S for a few songs . I said OK reluctantly as I've always had problem with other people playing my instruments , then finding something not right ..Same this time, when I got home the next day , I was cleaning the guitar and found a load of road rash on the back.. apparently he had a huge Billy Bob belt buckle on and musta rubbed guitar crazy against it when he was playing, unbeknownst to me ....I've had people trash the D28 Sound hole with thumb pick Gouges, or put a new Guild D50 into a mic stand with huge face smash , but never a back road rash , that's a first, and likely the last time i'll be the nice guy - who lets someone else play any of my guitars....

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair