The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 03-23-2008, 06:00 AM

Default McGovern-Eagleton Button

(I know the quick answer--put it up for bid and find out. Well, I don't have an Ebay account, and I have no idea what kind of political button aficionados are out there, so I'm tossing it to the cognescenti here first. If you have any guess, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!)

I happened to be a chaperone at Nixon's final Inaugural Parade for a Marching Band from Frostburg Maryland. We were a "stationary" route-band. A guy was selling the McGovern/Eagleton Campaign Buttons--you'll recall McGovern had to dump Tom Eagleton as his VP running mate because he had undergone psychotherapy at one point. I bought a button--I think it's about 3.5-4" diameter, red, white and blue--says "Come Home, America" or something. I've had it for a good number of years, and of course it is in perfect condition.

Why I *think* it might be worth something is two-fold: First (and least) is McGovern carried, what? Two states? Second--Eagleton was AFAIK, the only VP candidate ever DUMPED after the Convention-and being on the ticket. You'll recall (if you're as old as me), Sargent Shriver (a Kennedy relative) was chosen to replace him. So--I have this campaign button with the b/w pic of McGovern and dumped-Tom on it. I know there are people who collect such things. There really weren't a TON of them-as Eagleton was dumped fast into the campaign. Of course, the "coup de' gras" was that THIS was the "Watergate Election"--and NIXON was dumped eventually too.

So, anyone know about such things? What it might be likely worth? Back at the parade I paid 5 bucks for it...it was already a "collectors' item" then, and the peddler (only one I saw in our area) was about sold out.

I know ultimately, I'll need to test the market so to speak-and I have a way to do this involving a trusted friend. Whaddya think? I have no "certification" it was bought at the parade (or a pic of me buying it-no one thought of such back then), but it IS obviously legit. Any advice? Guesses? Political Campaign button collectors out there?--just wonderin'. This is such a diverse group...and usually has someone who knows something.

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Recording King RD-16SN ~ "utility"
2009 Martin HD-28
Old 03-23-2008, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folkstrum View Post
(I know the quick answer--put it up for bid and find out. Well, I don't have an Ebay account, and I have no idea what kind of political button aficionados are out there, so I'm tossing it to the cognescenti here first. If you have any guess, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!)

I happened to be a chaperone at Nixon's final Inaugural Parade for a Marching Band from Frostburg Maryland. We were a "stationary" route-band. A guy was selling the McGovern/Eagleton Campaign Buttons--you'll recall McGovern had to dump Tom Eagleton as his VP running mate because he had undergone psychotherapy at one point. I bought a button--I think it's about 3.5-4" diameter, red, white and blue--says "Come Home, America" or something. I've had it for a good number of years, and of course it is in perfect condition.

Why I *think* it might be worth something is two-fold: First (and least) is McGovern carried, what? Two states? Second--Eagleton was AFAIK, the only VP candidate ever DUMPED after the Convention-and being on the ticket. You'll recall (if you're as old as me), Sargent Shriver (a Kennedy relative) was chosen to replace him. So--I have this campaign button with the b/w pic of McGovern and dumped-Tom on it. I know there are people who collect such things. There really weren't a TON of them-as Eagleton was dumped fast into the campaign. Of course, the "coup de' gras" was that THIS was the "Watergate Election"--and NIXON was dumped eventually too.

So, anyone know about such things? What it might be likely worth? Back at the parade I paid 5 bucks for it...it was already a "collectors' item" then, and the peddler (only one I saw in our area) was about sold out.

I know ultimately, I'll need to test the market so to speak-and I have a way to do this involving a trusted friend. Whaddya think? I have no "certification" it was bought at the parade (or a pic of me buying it-no one thought of such back then), but it IS obviously legit. Any advice? Guesses? Political Campaign button collectors out there?--just wonderin'. This is such a diverse group...and usually has someone who knows something.
Is this one with the electric shocker built in?
Old 03-23-2008, 07:17 AM

Which one of these is it?

I would go from this link to the completed auctions and see what it sold for.

Doesn't appear many are getting bids...

Happy moments!
Difficult moments!
Quiet moments!
Painful moments!
Every moment!
Thankful for something bigger than the internet to express my gratitude for living

"If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way.”
~Martin Luther King Jr.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:27 AM
some guy from NY

norm,
it would seem to be worth more as a conversation piece ..... if those ebay prices are any indication.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd_harmonic View Post
norm,
it would seem to be worth more as a conversation piece ..... if those ebay prices are any indication.
Yeah--kinda what I figured. If I bought a 1968 D-28 with Braz, a whole new forest being cut down would've sprung up; my kinda "luck" (bad and none, and "bad" is out of town).

Always thought such a campaign button might one day fetch a lot of dough. Guess not, eh? Oh well, I'll put it with my other memorabilia, and maybe my great, great grandkids will enjoy the wealth on the totally non-physically possessed imagery that passes for "real" 100 years from now!

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Martin HD-28
Old 03-23-2008, 12:03 PM

I had one and donated it to a charity auction along with a Seattle Seahawks football (from before the team even played a game) signed by Vince Lombardi, Jr. Guess I can stop beating myself up over the button (but not the ball).

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 03-24-2008, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iq_below_2 View Post
Which one of these is it?

I would go from this link to the completed auctions and see what it sold for.

Doesn't appear many are getting bids...
It's in the pic of the 3, the third one down-the left, colored larger one. DRAT!!!

1992 Taylor 855
2000 Deering Sierra

2009 Martin HD-28

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic